do you give gifts of firearms?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
just purchased matching pair of SR9's for my daughter and new son in law for wedding gifts. i have given away so many weapons to family members as gifts for whatever occasion it 's no wonder i can't retire. this makes 3 SR9's, 2 P95's, 1 P345 1 P89, 2 taurus snubbies in 357 mag, 1 taurus 45, 1 taurus 40, 1 xd service 45, 2 marlin 22's, an sks---all to family and never a regret. am i nuts or do some of you give gifts to people you love that can keep them alive? taught my children young and have never had a problem with any of them.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
My dad watches our two kids one day every week, mum helps too, but Dad is retired so he does the bulk of the kid-watching.

So, this spring, my wife got my mum a new digital camera, and I got dad got a Glock 17 (brand new). It was something I knew he would like, but would probably not go out and buy for himself (he considers handguns a bit of an extravagance).

I looked at an SR40 first and I was seriously considering getting him that, until I tried out the trigger. One or two snaps and I was thoroughly turned off. It was gritty with almost three stages. It would have been a project getting it sorted. It really was a shame, because the SR40 (and 9) are such nice, slim comfortable guns. Great Ergonomics, nice looks, great sights (adjustable even!) and lower price.

Soapman

Bearcat
I have received guns twice as gifts.

On my 13th birthday, I was given my first rifle. A Marlin 25m .22mag with a 4x scope. It was awesome and death to ground hogs, and squirrels on our farm.

Second was also for my birthday after my wife and I bought our first house. My father-in-law, asked what I would want for my birthday. Being a new home owner with a small yard, I asked for a push mower. Instead, I got a Mosin Nagant rifle. I've only shot it a few times and don't care for it at all.

If you know the gift will be appreciated, whatever it is. Give it. If you are giving a gift based on what your wants are then your intentions are misplaced.

MTHanded

Bearcat
Gifts? You bet. My wife has gotten a new 20 ga. shotgun, a Ruger Single Six, a Ruger Mk I and soon a Beretta Bobcat. She loves getting them and we go to the range together at least once a week.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Bought my daughter a .270 rifle as a graduation present from high school.
Wanted to get her something she would have and use for the rest of her life. Figure one day when I am gone, it will mean all that more to her when she hunts with it.