Do you carry with one in the chamber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
sixgun- NOPE! Proper training & handling prevent nd's! Been handling guns my whole life & NEVER even came close. But, you are absolutely correct....if your not familiar with your weapon, not skilled at proper presentation or do not possess training in high stress situations... then no round in the chamber is prolly a good thing.

Carrying one in the chamber on a DA is just like a revolver, you wouldn't carry it with one cylinder empty would you?

Murphey is a mo-fo & in the unfortunate event that you do need it...there are WAY too many things that could make racking the slide prior to discharging it a huge drawback!

You sound like your already convinced that carrying an unloaded gun is the right way! To each his own...

Otis

Bearcat
Excuse me Mr crackhead, could you please wait a couple of seconds before you stab me with that butcher knive your holding so I can pull my pistol and rack the slide. :shock: Yes one in the chamber, Always.

ConradM

Blackhawk
sixgun said:
I carry one in the chamber of my P345 safety on.
My SR9C I do not have one chambered for my safety and liability. I'll rack it as I pull it.
You guys can join the Oh! S**T Club when you accidentally remove a piece of your butt or leg. Not me, seen to many striker fired ND's. I say ND because it's not a accident that you had it cocked.
As they say, It's your gun and your responsibility... :shock:

As many people as you've ever heard of nding on the draw.... there are thousands more that safely handle their weapons without safeties everyday.

welder

Buckeye
Yes, chamber loaded on my G19 ccw. Also on my LC9 with safety on, trigger covered on both. I used to carry with an empty chamber but realized I may need that extra time. That, plus the fact I invested in quality holsters that fit the gun and cover the trigger. I like too that one more opportunity to fail is removed, that being the off chance of a bumbled rack or mis-feed.

ConradM

Blackhawk
It's funny that people would even consider carrying without 1 in the pipe... Competition shooters safely draw their safety-less weapons everyday without incident. It just comes down to practice and trigger discipline.

A

Anonymous

I agree. I've never even considered an empty chamber as an option. An empty chamber is a definite NO in my book. I won't even entertain the idea of it.

donut757

Blackhawk
ill agree i wouldnt even think about carrying without one in the chamber. im not a fan of the ruger autos... but never had much experience tho.. my SP obviously has one in the chamber and so does my Sig P239. i am a sig fan because i do not like safetys and prefer the choice of DA/SA

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
sixgun said:
Not me, seen to many striker fired ND's. I say ND because it's not a accident that you had it cocked.

Just wondering how many striker fired ND's you've personally witnessed and what the circumstance was?

sixgun said:
When I pull I'm firing.

A lot of situations end when the bad guy sees the intended victim become armed but you're shooting anyhow. Hope there's no witnesses.

"Yes officer, the bad guy started backing away when he saw the gun but Mr. sixgun shot him anyway."

sixgun said:
Would like to see you in a draw and fire. Bet I could beat you....

That's silly arrogance right there. You're so badazz you can draw, rack, & fire on target faster than anyone reading this?

Hate to admit it but I'm so dangerous I've carried an O/U shotgun with one in BOTH chambers. :shock:

Loco Weed

Bearcat
Always. When the chips are down there simply isn't time to rack and chamber. Most defensive encounters take place at very close ranges and the bad guy can be on you in a heartbeat.

JeffPo

Bearcat
For concealed carry, I carry 3rd generation Smith & Wesson semi-autos. They have external safeties, and are DA/SA. When I was a newbie concealed carry, I carried WITHOUT one in the chamber, and with the safety on. As I learned, became experienced, read case studies, and practiced, I realized that this method of carry wasn't very practical, at least for me.

Now I carry with one in the chamber, and the safety on. I like the safety on in case of a gun grab, or if I take a tumble and briefly lose the gun, etc. I practice my draw. The safety comes off as the gun comes up. It's smooth and efficient, and suits my style.

sixgun

Single-Sixer
Here is a new recent member of the Oh! S**T Club.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

You wannabes are not Massad Ayoob. Stay safe and watch you butt.

A

Anonymous

sixgun said:

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

What's with the "wannabes" label? That seems unnecessary as no one has claimed anything of the sort, well except you when you claimed you could draw, rack the slide and be on target faster than I could draw and swipe off the safety.

The link you posted was a Glock with no safety of course, in a apparently worn leather holster. I don't have a Glock, I have a safety which I do use and I don't have a leather holster. Even if I had the same holster mine wouldn't have gone off.

This an issue with that particular holster and nothing more. It doesn't prove in the least that a loaded gun is dangerous.

TXRuger

Bearcat
Like JeffPo said above, when I was a semiauto newbie, I carried my 1st semiauto pistol with an empty chamber. After a couple of months and several range trips, I had more confidence and I realized that the gun wouldn't go off if I didn't touch the trigger. I started carrying with one in the chamber, the manual safety set to ON and the holster completely covering the trigger. Now when I carried a pistol with a DAO trigger like the SR9 or SR9c, I didn't even use the manual safety because it's just like I was carrying a revolver (I only used the manual safety with the SA pistols). I always carry my gun with a round in the chamber and in a proper holster. I don't carry my gun the Israeli style (empty chamber carry) or the Mexican style (in waistband without holster).

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
sixgun said:

Your point is what? First off, that ND has already been shown here, secondly it involves faulty equipment that shouldn't have been in use.

wannabes?
You sure play well with others.

Would you mind referencing ANY nationally recognized self defense school that teaches defensive carry with an empty chamber?

ConradM

Blackhawk
sixgun said:

That just shows that it's a good idea to use a Kydex or Hybrid holster. :lol:

ConradM

Blackhawk
sixgun said:
If your safety gets pushed off and a light trigger , its your butt.

I'm not a movie star. When I pull I'm firing. Would like to see you in a draw and fire. Bet I could beat you....

Wanna race? :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm1yEJCzG3Y

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
Wannabes? :roll:

Let's here your quals sixgun since you are apparently an expert on this topic, because I am interested in what organization teaches this practice?

Also, I would like to reiterate the question posed by ArmedinAZ- Would you mind referencing ANY nationally recognized self defense school that teaches defensive carry with an empty chamber?