Dissapointed wtih LCR!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
JimB120 said:
Carry my LCR in my pocket everyday without problem.

Dress pants, jeans, cargo pants. It's all good.

Much better trigger system than a J frame too.

Me too!

Sold my Smith 637 to buy my LCR and never regretted it. To each his own.

Cholo

Staff member
pps, I'm with you and still trying to figure why the OP bought the gun in the 1st place as a blind man could tell it's no J frame size. The LCR's trigger does beat all my J frames. I have a feeling someone's about to get a deal on an LCR :wink:

off road

Single-Sixer
bigboredad said:
the lcr sells nib for around 360 around here I've never seen a smith j frame nib for that price.

Around here, the .38 LCR is consistently around $40 more than a Smith 442/642. I haven't been paying particular attention in recent years, but I think Smith dropped their prices because of the competition from Ruger. Competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

If you want a .357 LCR, add in another $30. But....if you want a scandium .357 J-frame, double the total price!!! That does make the .357 Ruger, a superb bargain!

That original "bulbous" Hogue grip is definately the most comfortable to shoot. If too big for carry, consider replacing it with the Boot grip sold on shopruger.com. Much flatter profile. I carry mine in IWB holster. No print.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
JimB120 said:
Carry my LCR in my pocket everyday without problem.

Dress pants, jeans, cargo pants. It's all good.

Much better trigger system than a J frame too.

Same here...not so much with jeans, but that's probably due to the cut I usually wear.

off road

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
pps, I'm with you and still trying to figure why the OP bought the gun in the 1st place as a blind man could tell it's no J frame size. The LCR's trigger does beat all my J frames. I have a feeling someone's about to get a deal on an LCR :wink:

Yes....I laid a J-frame on top of the LCR, and yes while anyone can see the trigger guard is bigger, it didn't look like enough to make a difference. But....just like a new piece of clothing or a new girlfriend, you have to get it home and wear it for a while before you discover whether it really fits perfectly or not.

I'm not quite sure why Ruger found it necessary to use such a large trigger guard. Look at any other Ruger....does it have one? No, so we can't blame it on Ruger 'tradition'. Someone suggested that it is to facilitate operation while wearing gloves, and this will now be the new wave of the future. Time will tell. My hunch is that the designers couldn't get the plastic strong enough without adding some bulk to the frame in this area. I'm guessing it is that simple, but for me it is a fatal flaw to an otherwise near perfect design.

In this case, it's no big deal because I just passed the gun along to my daughter who isn't into pocket carry anyway, so nothing lost and a lesson well learned! Just putting the word out that you need to consider if you can live with the extra bulk if you like to pocket carry, or need a very svelte backup gun!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
No rest of the story, your firearm can't print. If there is a bulge and the cop don't like your eye color he can check it out and if he is right, you suffer. I wish the laws allowed for printing, I think its stupid with all the bulging from gadgets these days a pistol can't print.

Specs

Single-Sixer
I pocket carry my LCR 357 in Wrangler relaxed fit jeans in a cheap UM pocket holster without issue. Same for my LC9. It works if you want it to.

pps

Single-Sixer
LuckenbachTexas said:
No rest of the story, your firearm can't print. If there is a bulge and the cop don't like your eye color he can check it out and if he is right, you suffer. I wish the laws allowed for printing, I think its stupid with all the bulging from gadgets these days a pistol can't print.

In Commifornia, there is a case where someone was convicted of illegal ccw of a knife. The blade was partially showing, but the DA was able to establish the precidence that it's irrelevant if the weapon was concealed poorly...it's still considered concealed....EVEN IF YOU PRINT!

If you print or have a "tell" a cop can still give you grief, and have the sheriff pull your ccw permit from you....but in Commifornia, even a piss poor job of concealment is still concealment. I do not know the laws in other states.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
pps....thanks for digging that up, as I too recalled that ruling had been made, at least for those of us behind enemy lines... :wink:

hitpure

Bearcat
I am 6'3", weight 195, mild spare tire. I can conceal carry, without my own wife knowing, the following setups with my Ruger LCR .357 with CT grips...

Pocket carry = Desantis Nemesis holster
IWB = Talon holster
OWB = Mitch Rosen hoster

I wear shirts untucked, and if I position these hosters properly, there is no recognition of these setups from family, friends, and LOA's. I am awaiting a special order owb crossdraw holster for wearing in the car.

Other body types may have other experiences.

alkpon

Bearcat
If you are worried about "printing", stick in pants.......just be sure the front part, not the back of pants. Well, that might keep everyone from approaching.......

dougader

Hunter
I don't see how the trigger guard makes the LCR harder to pocket carry. For me, its always been about the fat cylinder poking out/printing... and that's true with my j-frame, too.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Perhaps I'm odd, but the privilege of concealed carry seems to come with certain responsibilities. Living in the communist state of Illinois, I'd be willing to wear the right clothing to conceal a weapon, just to have the right to carry.

I'd even put a pistol in a bible case if I could.

Dan

Specs

Single-Sixer
DanChamberlain said:
Perhaps I'm odd, but the privilege of concealed carry seems to come with certain responsibilities. Living in the communist state of Illinois, I'd be willing to wear the right clothing to conceal a weapon, just to have the right to carry.

Dan

No offense, but so long as concealed carry is considered a "privilege" and not a "right" Illinois will maintain it's unconstitutional position. Citizens must demand to have the right restored and vote out any pols who refuse.

This thread is interesting, but not surprising. Nobody has to like any given firearm, but I guess the excuses required to rationalize the displeasure require creativity.

I do own a LCR. I've never shot it, and I don't see myself doing so anytime soon. Just can't warm up to a plastic revolver. I do have a couple very gun-savvy friends that carry the LCR regularly, and they think the LCR is the cats meow.

Back to the topic...

After reading this thread and all the replies, I actually pulled my LCR out of the safe to see what the hubbub was about. My impression, simply, this is a little tiny revolver, very easily concealed. I had never considered the trigger guard was excessively over-sized, and I still don't.

Bottom line? It's simple. If a feller doesn't like a gun, then just get a different one.8) But don't expect to convince others that you are right.
WAYNO.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Specs said:
DanChamberlain said:

Dan

No offense, but so long as concealed carry is considered a "privilege" and not a "right" Illinois will maintain it's unconstitutional position. Citizens must demand to have the right restored and vote out any pols who refuse.

Specs

Agreed, but unless "Chicago" burns to the ground, they control the whole state. How many Chicago governors are currently in jail, headed for jail, or have been in jail? It's the most blatantly corrupt state in the nation.

Dan

Specs

Single-Sixer
At the risk of being "off topic", I must say that it is IL governors and a secy of state in jail over the years. I was merely pointing out that "privilege" is not appropriate when speaking of our 2A RIGHTS.

dougader

Hunter
DanChamberlain said:

Dan

Having worked in the Oregon state legislature for 2 sessions, I really do empathize with your situation. Polictics is a distasteful business. People have asked me to run for office. NO way!

But you also bring up a good point, and that is one that Clint Smith talks about: Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable. It's meant to be comforting. The idea is that,a person alter their clothing so they are able to carry enough gun.

Which brings up another issue... what is enough gun? Is a 5-shot snubby enough gun? Maybe, maybe not. If I throw my j-frame in a pocket, it's because I am usually even armed as I walk around the house doing chores, or for a walk to the mail box. If I leave the property, then a G26 is on my hip, with 2 extra mags on the other hip, and the j-frame in my pocket as back-up. If I'm driving anywhere out of town then there's a G21 in the glove box and a 45 Colt Mt Gun between the seat and the center console.