Ruger LCR 357 magnum ammunition.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Will using Remington HTS 158 grain sjhp wear out my Ruger Lcr 357mag faster than 125 grain alternatives (hornady 125, speer 135 gold dot, or Barnes vortex 140 grain 357 loads)?

RC44Mag

Buckeye
The only concern I would have is flame cutting the underside of the top strap. Longer( heavier) bullets help prevent that damage. If you shoot a lot you might want to use the heavier options.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
The only concern I would have is flame cutting the underside of the top strap. Longer( heavier) bullets help prevent that damage. If you shoot a lot you might want to use the heavier options.
Can you explain and give recommendations please?

Shooters found that extensive use of 125gr .357 mag loads accelerated erosion to the forcing cone and topstrap of some revolvers. S&W developed the L Frame revolvers in response to problems with the K Frame .357s like the Model 19, and recommended the use of 158gr loads because they determined that the heavier bullets were actually less damaging to the K Frame guns. The weak point of a K Frame .357 is the thin, flat part at the bottom of the forcing cone, necessary for clearance for the cylinder hub. I don't believe that is an issue for the LCR.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
"The only concern I would have is flame cutting the underside of the top strap. Longer( heavier) bullets help prevent that damage. If you shoot a lot you might want to use the heavier options."
--RC44Mag

My knowledge of Ruger Firearms is not the best. If memory serves me, wasn't that also a problem with the Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum? From what I heard, this caused Ruger drop that caliber and revolver design from the Blackhawk models....

I wouldn't worry about it. No offense but it's a relatively cheap gun and they makes lots of them. If you manage to wear it
out I doubt the cost of a new gun vs. the price of all the ammo you burned up to do it would amount to much.
I'd shoot whatever ammo I liked.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
"The only concern I would have is flame cutting the underside of the top strap. Longer( heavier) bullets help prevent that damage. If you shoot a lot you might want to use the heavier options."
--RC44Mag

My knowledge of Ruger Firearms is not the best. If memory serves me, wasn't that also a problem with the Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maximum? From what I heard, this caused Ruger drop that caliber and revolver design from the Blackhawk models....
That's what I heard somewhere as well.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't worry about it. No offense but it's a relatively cheap gun and they makes lots of them. If you manage to wear it
out I doubt the cost of a new gun vs. the price of all the ammo you burned up to do it would amount to much.
I'd shoot whatever ammo I liked.
$689 isn't a cheap gun. Not trying to seem combative, just saying. If it was a $350 taurus ultralight I'd be like yea well, but almost $700 dollars doesn't constitute an oh well.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I think shooting the 158 grain bullets will wear out the gun slower than shooting the faster, lighter bullets. Probably does not make a great deal of difference. Reloading slower loads might help. I am not sure what "wears out" on a gun but suspect the heavier bullet loads are easier on the forcing cone and to have less flame cutting. I reload almost every round I shoot and would shoot light bullets loaded slow with a fast powder in that gun most of the time.

$689 isn't a cheap gun. Not trying to seem combative, just saying. If it was a $350 taurus ultralight I'd be like yea well, but almost $700 dollars doesn't constitute an oh well.
Apologies, I didn't word that very well. My point was that .357 defense handgun ammo is what, about $1.00 to $1.25 a round right now. If you shoot a lot
the gun quickly becomes a pretty small percentage of the total. Also didn't realize they were selling for $700 now, paid about $425 for mine, but thinking about
it I guess it's been maybe 8-10 years ago...time fly's.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Apologies too. Looking at it on an ammo standpoint. 50 rounds each range visit, 14 visits is $700. Didn't think of it in that respect.

My LCR is a great carry gun so I
practice with it with 38+P….but I consider it a CQC when you can smell their breath tool, back up or 3 rounds in less than 3 yards. I think 50 rounds would be a tough range day for a gun so light. I have a Smith titanium?,with the steel insert to protect the top strap when shooting.357…but 357 seems a mismatch for that kind of gun. At your size 6'3" at 250 lb a hickory switch might suffice

ericbc7

Bearcat
The .357, 9mm and I believe the .327 LCR's all have steel frames and are not any more susceptible to flame cutting the top straps than other Ruger models. The .38, 22lr, 22mag LCR's have alloy frames.

Latest posts