Discontinued P-345 Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I know this topic has been posted before, but it's a crying shame that Ruger discontinued the P-345 pistol. I believe that this DA 45 ACP pistol was the finest firearms that Ruger ever manufactured, and it will soon be a desirable classic handgun. I have just purchased two more magazines for mine in case they become discontinued also. :cry:

welder

Buckeye
I think maybe the anticipation concerning the SR45 and the success with the SR1911 might have something to do with it.
I had one without the rail that I traded. I wish I had kept it now. It was a good shooter, fit my hand well and quite accurate. Probably the softest shooting .45 I owned.

airwin

Bearcat
Decisions that you can not understand obviously always have a connection with money and profit in the background. Probably Ruger will achieve more profit with their new .45 ​​pistols as with the P345. Since Mr Ruger has left the company and no longer guides the destinies of this company, but a consortium of managers, they only are taking decisions to maximize profits- enough is not enough... This is the usual recipe of managers who think only with numbers. Sorry for the harsh wording, but with this profit motive disappear so many good ideas and designs from Ruger more and more.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I too am sad to see the 345 go. I own one and consider it to be an excellent firearm. I think the new brains at Ruger are running the tide of striker fired guns and I believe that modern shooters desire striker fired guns more and more.

I think Ruger's new SR45 will be a big success and will prove itself to be a formidable firearm.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I have 1 P90DC and 2 P97s , always put off buying a P345..guess I need to keep my eye out for one...

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Unfortunately, I never shot a 345. I have a KP90DC. It was one of the first ones to show up in this area and I bought it new. It's one gun I don't think I will ever sell.

Jeff

welder

Buckeye
Since Mr Ruger has left the company and no longer guides the destinies of this company, but a consortium of managers, they only are taking decisions to maximize profits- enough is not enough... QUOTE

I think you are spot on. There seems to be a different emphasis on quality control at Ruger these days. I have purposely been seeking out the old stuff and this year managed to pick up a few. They are rock solid Ruger and the difference between some of them and the new stuff is remarkable.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I agree with everyone about the money or shall we say " greed " of the business world in todays markets. However , I have recently purchased two new Rugers....one being a 44 SBH Bisley Hunter and the other being a Williams , 45C , Bisley Convertable . Both of these firearms show excellant workmanship and attention to detail. The 45C Bisley is machined very well , as in bore and throat diminisions. Fit and finish is as well as can be expected for a production line firearm. Personally , I'm very happy with those two revolvers. Perhaps the plastic guns are different.....they've got to be cheaper to make. ( or at lest I'd think so ) OMHO :D

regards , brushunter

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Maybe it has something to do with Ruger selling 8200 of them in 2011 and 5800 of them in 2010 according to serial numbers. With any product there's a minimum production amount to be profitable and like it or not Ruger is in the profit business. :wink:

If Good Ol Bill were still around we probably wouldn't have the evil SR556 rifles or the SR1911s...

welder

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Maybe it has something to do with Ruger selling 8200 of them in 2011 and 5800 of them in 2010 according to serial numbers. With any product there's a minimum production amount to be profitable and like it or not Ruger is in the profit business. :wink:

If Good Ol Bill were still around we probably wouldn't have the evil SR556 rifles or the SR1911s...

Agreed.
But, I also wonder if we wouldn't have fewer Bisley's shipped with missing parts? Or Sp101's with canted barrels? I have had the unfortunate experience of both. :cry:

The first semi-automatic I ever bought was a P97DC, which I selected because it fired 45acp and was cheap. This gun has been supremely reliable and a pleasure to shoot and I would never part with it. I looked at the 345 at one time but felt it was so close to the P97 that it didn't offer any reason for me to get it. I just wish my P97 had a rail so I could attach a Crimson Trace laser, but at least I changed to better than stock sights to improve its usefulness to me. I think I'll wait for a SR45c before buying another semi to add to my sr40c and my LCP.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
I have a P90, P97, and a P95. The P-Series guns were top notch. The extra "do-da's" on the P345 were OK, but I didn't think they added anything substantial over the P97 (so I did without one) still, from my experience at the range, the P345s were super accurate and felt good in the hand. I like that P-Series first double-action trigger-pull.

GKC

Blackhawk
A local gun shop has two of them NIB in the case...one stainless slide, and one black slide. I'm kinda of thinking about buying one before they are gone.

A question: I have read numerous comments about the possibility of damaging or breaking the firing pin if the gun is dry fired without a magazine in the gun. How does this happen? The gun has a magazine disconnect, and if there is no magazine in the gun, it (supposedly) won't fire, right? So I'm confused about how this happens, but there are a lot of comments on it.

I have also read that it is very easy to remove the FPS/mag disconnect. I've done it in a SR9, which was very easy. Does anyone have a video of the process on a P345?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GKC said:
A question: I have read numerous comments about the possibility of damaging or breaking the firing pin if the gun is dry fired without a magazine in the gun. How does this happen? The gun has a magazine disconnect, and if there is no magazine in the gun, it (supposedly) won't fire, right? So I'm confused about how this happens, but there are a lot of comments on it.
The magazine disconnect on these pistols doesn't deactivate the trigger pull, it just intercepts the firing pin if the trigger is pulled without a magazine installed. The firing pin hits a solid stop, not the primer, and can be damaged if it is dry fired too often. A couple of dry fires w/o the magazine won't hurt but a steady diet will.

GKC

Blackhawk
22/45 Fan said:
The magazine disconnect on these pistols doesn't deactivate the trigger pull, it just intercepts the firing pin if the trigger is pulled without a magazine installed. The firing pin hits a solid stop, not the primer, and can be damaged if it is dry fired too often. A couple of dry fires w/o the magazine won't hurt but a steady diet will.

Ah,thanks. On other pistols, or at least the ones I have had with a mag disconnect, the triggers are deactivated when there isn't a magazine in the pistol. I couldn't figure how that worked on the P345.

Nevada

Single-Sixer
For me, buying Rugers is a crap shoot. MyP95DC, Bearcat, three MKIIs, and 10/22 were and are fine guns. My mini14 ranch was middle of the road, needing tweaking which I was willing to make. My P90 was unbelievably accurate and unbievably unreliable. The P345 came with two mags that could only load six rounds, a horrible trigger and I had powder blow back onto my face until I got a stronger ercoil spring. I did like the looks, though. Ruger sent me new mags, nothing could be done about the trigger. Both Ruger .45s went away for much better .45s. I like the looks of the SR45, but I'll wait a year or so before seriously considering one.