Did I just pass up a collectors dream or save my money?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I was in a LGS today and they had just purchased 5 Rugers from someone, they did not have them in their system yet when I ran across them but I asked how much for 3 of them. The 3 I had in mind were as follows Old model 45 Blackhawk with Brass grip frame (not sure if it was factory or not) Old Model 44mag Super Blackhawk 5 digit serial number and New Model Buckeye 32mag/32-20. Price for the three was $2000 none of which had the original boxes. The old models had not been converted but the Super had new model grips. They all ranged in the 90% or better as far as wear. So my question is did I pass up the buy of the year or just save my money for future better investment?

RugerHound

Hunter
Lemme see...

.44 Super 5 digit - Hard to say... It could be a long frame or transition.. Have to know the particulars. Could be a 500 dollar gun or a 1500 dollar gun!
.45 Blackhawk - What bbl length and is a prefix or non-prefix? (Big diff in price!) Could range from 500 - 3100 depending on how it shakes out.
.32 Buckeye - Mebbe 550-600 no box assuming both cylinders were there unless it has a VERY low or last SN produced for instance.

As for the 'brassy'... If it letters you'd have quite a catch! If it's a non-prefix brassy that letters, you got yourself a home run. If you found a rare Super, you got yerself a grand slam.

(Assuming of course all guns are in VERY good shape)

You oughta go take some photos and gather some serial numbers!

The trick to collecting is running everything to ground. I always assume something is special 'till I find out it isn't! :)

RugerHound

Hunter
Lemme see...

.44 Super 5 digit - Hard to say... It could be a long frame or transition.. Have to know the particulars. Could be a 500 dollar gun or a 1500 dollar gun!
.45 Blackhawk - What bbl length and is a prefix or non-prefix? (Big diff in price!) Could range from 500 - 3100 depending on how it shakes out.
.32 Buckeye - Mebbe 550-600 no box assuming both cylinders were there unless it has a VERY low or last SN produced for instance.

As for the 'brassy'... If it letters you'd have quite a catch! If it's a non-prefix brassy that letters, you got yourself a home run. If you found a rare Super, you got yerself a grand slam.

(Assuming of course all guns are in VERY good shape)

You oughta go take some photos and gather some serial numbers!

The trick to collecting is running everything to ground. I always assume something is special 'till I find out it isn't! :)

Just a comment,
The Old Model 44 in a 5 digit would not be a Long Frame gun all Long Frames were in the 4 digit number range but, it would have been a White Box or a Two Piece Black & Red Box gun. also it would be a High Polished Gun with or with-out the Eagle on the Barrel.
To my knowledge they never producted a Non-Pre-Fixed 45 Blackhawk.
Easy check the serial # for a Brass Frame in John Dougan's Book

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
The 45 brass grip frame is a prefix gun serial #45-21797 I think it is 6 1/2" or 7 1/2"barrel. The 44 is serial #29986 it to is 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" barrel high polish. The Buckeye did have both cylinders and it serial # 610-00175 I think. Let me know as to what you guys think as I may still have a chance at them.

contender

Ruger Guru
If that 45 has the Super Blackhawk styled gripframe, (squared back trigger guard,) I'd politely ask to pull off the grips to double check it. If it's marked MR3-DB,,and if the 44 mag has a 7-1/2" bbl,,,,BUY THE GUNS!!!!!

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
That's good to know RR, won't take it as the gospel on everything, and will also take a second look at other brass framed ones I come across. Thanks for the information and heads up.
HH