Deleted due to "incorrect" usage of terms

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll have to say one thing. The rollmarks on the cylinder frames usually tell a lot about the gun. I've found that using the Factory's labels can certainly go a long ways toward easy to understand communication.

Ah, but if one says New Vaquero does one mean a brand spankin' New Ruger Vaquero or a New Ruger New Vaquero? One can easily make a distinction by using a term that Freedom Arms utilizes. Large Frame or Mid Frame?

I think we've hashed this topic to death and we need to find a better way to categorize Ruger's Fixed Sight Revolvers.

JMHO,

flatgate

BlkHawk73

Hunter
flatgate said:
Ah, but if one says New Vaquero does one mean a brand spankin' New Ruger Vaquero or a New Ruger New Vaquero? One can easily make a distinction by using a term that Freedom Arms utilizes. Large Frame or Mid Frame?

I think we've hashed this topic to death and we need to find a better way to categorize Ruger's Fixed Sight Revolvers.

Well said. I agree, but getting it to be a blanket use is the hard part. Those that "know" would again be the ones to understand and put it t use. Those that still use the incorrect terminology would likely fall into the same hole again.

gak

Buckeye
I'm stating the obvious, and likely being redundant with others, that the use of a) the term "model," period is a distraction and it would simplify things if it is never used with regard to any "Vaquero." All Vaqueros of course are Ruger New Models so, just not needed and b) the use of the capial "N" in New, as in any capital, should just be reserved for specific gun names and not to describe their age relative to production date. Also a 30+ year Ruger owner/enjoyer, I have fallen into the terminology trap before, was corrected, and hope I call things properly now. If you just bought new a mid-frame fixed sight Ruger, you bought a new New Vaquero. If you bought a new (as in NIB etc) older, large frame then you got a new Vaquero, but I'd suggest instead a new "old" or "older" or "older model" Vaquero, no caps, or a "large" or "larger" Vaquero...the recently introduced .44s New Vaqueros labeled "just Vaquero" notwithstanding :)

All of the above said, for those new to this thread, if you were wondering, the OP's first--now deleted--introductory post was talking about having just gotten the new NV 44 (Sheriffs in particular), so most of the earlier posts relate to that. And a fine gun it is!

Knuckles

Buckeye
I know what folks are try'n to get at no matter the translation... as I get older, I'm more into the personal relationships than the topics.

I've changed quite a lot since I was 25 yrs old. :roll:

batmann

Single-Sixer
Nice welcome for a new member. Despite the terminology we know what he meant. It's along the same lines as .45 Colt or someone saying .45 LC. Means the same, at least to me.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
batmann said:
Nice welcome for a new member. Despite the terminology we know what he meant. It's along the same lines as .45 Colt or someone saying .45 LC. Means the same, at least to me.

We know what the media means a Glock when they say "automatic assault pistol" too, right? :roll:

DocGlock

Bearcat
Excuse me while I go load some CLIPS for my SR9c and more CLIPS for my Glocks. :twisted:

101VooDoo

Single-Sixer
Shame Ron was so thin skinned about it, hate to lose a new member over a non-issue. But, if that was enough to make him leave, he's going to have a difficult time posting on any on-line forum.

Personally I don't care a whole lot about exact terminology on Rugers; as long as you can figure out what gun they're talking about, that's close enough for me.

Jim

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
tek4260 said:
Am I the only one who is tired of seeing fights and in this case, loss of a member due to the Vaquero/New Vaquero/New Model Vaquero debate. I can easily overlook incorrect terms if it means we have another member and are able to teach and learn from that person. It is getting pretty old along with the 45 Colt/Long Colt debate.

That is because you have some class and do not feel the need to go through life showing everyone how you are correct and they are wrong. You see, some never learn the art of tact and one day they will wake up and realize that their entire life has been a waste. Instead of building up, they were too busy tearing down.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
So is it a Blackhawk and a New Model Blackhawk? Why even ask the question concerning an old model Blackhawk or a New Model Blackhawk when an old model Blackhawk does not even exist? It is JUST a Blackhawk and there is no flattops. They too are JUST blackhawks. I mean really.

Flash

Buckeye
seeemmiss said:
tek4260 said:
Am I the only one who is tired of seeing fights and in this case, loss of a member due to the Vaquero/New Vaquero/New Model Vaquero debate. I can easily overlook incorrect terms if it means we have another member and are able to teach and learn from that person. It is getting pretty old along with the 45 Colt/Long Colt debate.

That is because you have some class and do not feel the need to go through life showing everyone how you are correct and they are wrong. You see, some never learn the art of tact and one day they will wake up and realize that their entire life has been a waste. Instead of building up, they were too busy tearing down.

Out of all the dialog, this makes the most sense in my opinion.

Cholo

Staff member
I didn't read the OP, but get the gist of it. If I just joined a forum and got chastized for using an incorrect term right off the bat, I'd probably find another place to hang out too. You know what they say about 1st impressions.

Tact: The art of telling someone to go to hell and they look forward to the trip.

Boy, am I glad nobody caught that I recently posted that I used a micrometer to measure cartridge lengths and I don't even own one, I meant caliper. Oops, I almost said bullet length but caught it just in the nick of time. Now for a spell check; on 2nd thought...

Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
tek4260 said:

tek4260,

I agree completely.

Wheelgunner

5of7

Hunter
Where is the safety issue as long as the term New Model Vaquero is not accompanied with advice about handloads?

Besides, since all current production Blackhawks are the new model, what is incorrect about referring to it as a New Model Vaquero?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
I didn't read the OP, but get the gist of it. If I just joined a forum and got chastized for using an incorrect term right off the bat, I'd probably find another place to hang out too. You know what they say about 1st impressions.

Tact: The art of telling someone to go to hell and they look forward to the trip.

Boy, am I glad nobody caught that I recently posted that I used a micrometer to measure cartridge lengths and I don't even own one, I meant caliper. Oops, I almost said bullet length but caught it just in the nick of time. Now for a spell check; on 2nd thought...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Relax, Cholo! :wink:

Hey, how'd your daughter like those Tom Petty CDs? Hear any new songs on there that you liked?

cas6969

Buckeye
I'm sorry but this is a forum made up of Ruger enthusiasts and Ruger collectors. Serious hard core collectors. Details and proper nomenclature are extremely important.

Elfego El Gato

Single-Sixer
cas said:
I'm sorry but this is a forum made up of Ruger enthusiasts and Ruger collectors. Serious hard core collectors. Details and proper nomenclature are extremely important.

This forum is for collectors, enthusiasts, and those who want to learn. Not everybody here is an expert, but we all benefit from the experience and willingness to share that the experts provide.

That said, the OP was clearly a bit thin-skinned. But, it remains that we welcome all here, collector, enthusiast, and newbie alike.

JimMarch1's post toward the beginning of this thread was educational and the OP would have benefitted from it, if he had not been so quick to go on the defensive.

Let's not take a superior attitude toward those who come here to learn. We were all newbies once and there's no reason to look down on someone who just wants to learn.

RF is about sharing our enthusiam and expertise. Some have more or need more of one or the other. That's what's so great about this forum: We all try learn from and teach one another. If we get all haughty, that dynamic could be damaged in the long run.

Let's keep RF a place where everyone is welcome, so long as they are civil and willing to share. That's why this is the *best* Ruger forum on the Internet (in my not so humble opinion, of course! ;) :))

Status
Not open for further replies.