David Bradshaw Photos - Vol. XXXIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Another excellent photo essay from David:

Ruger 03 .45 Colt/.45 ACP gets more holster time on the trail of tasks.

The Maximum, or long, ejector----shortened by Ruger 1/4"----is a salient feature of this one-of-a-kind factory Ruger. Seen here completely clearing .45 Colt case.

03 ejector veritably flings .45 ACP brass

45 Colt, L-to-R: CCI/Speer Gold Dot 260 JHP @ 900 fps; Federal swaged lead 225 HP @ 900 fps; Sierra 240 JHC over 27/296, Fed case, Fed 155 primer @ 1300 fps; Nosler 250 JHP over 24.7/H110 Fed case, Fed 155 primer @ 1140 fps.

45 ACP, L-to-R: cast 230 RN over 5.5/HP-38, Fed case, Fed 150 primer; cast 200 SWC over 5.5/231, Fed case, Fed 150; Remington Golden Saber 230 JHP over 8.5/Accurate #5, Fed case, Fed 150 @ 915 fps.

Although SA revolver chamber provides better case support than any auto, there is no need to load hotter than for the auto. Total interchangeability is an asset.

Cylinder gap .003-inch.

Gray ring indicates short 11-degree forcing cone

As barrel had been over-tightened, it was removed, retimed, and reamed for .452" x .800" freebore.

Hardwood dowel with jag carved into end makes excellent cleaning rod for flannel patches.

Much leather work later, broke a Ron Power tool steel free spin pawl.

Ruger pawl (left), with Ron Power Free Spin Pawl.

Handy RCBS hex key set includes 7/64" needed for Bisley backstrap screws.

Periodic strip provides opportunity to check for wear on parts.

Hammer dog set for solid engagement, smooth light letoff.

Ruger 03 cleaned, checked out, ready for lube & reassembly.

To check hammer dog/ trigger sear engagement, set hammer & trigger pins in frame, Cloth or cardborad tucked in frame slot prevent pins falling through

Hammer & trigger engagement as set by Bradshaw in 2003 to preserve Ruger REGAIN engagement angles, with smooth light letoff.

Eleven years in, including from the leather, hammer & trigger engagement is as good as ever. Proper angles, robust engagement, and lubrication are key.

Ruger faux ivory grips are a bit brittle for banging around machinery or nailing up wanted posters.

Long ejector, shortened 1/4", on 5-1/2" barrel.

Anit-Seize Compound demonstrates, especially on stainless, protective qualities which reduce wear signature over the years. I cut with moly-disulfide chassis grease and ATM fluid for North Country in winter. Parts which get this treatment include cylinder hub, cylinder pin, pawl, & transfer bar.

Cylinder pin with Anti-Seize.

Ruger 03 ready to go

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Contender and Don44.... appreciate your kind words. Just trying to share a bit of what has worked in the field.
Best,
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
The Blackhawk Kid.... I like your handle. Now to fulfill an appellation like that, the time for you to tear down your pistol may have arrived. On the other hand, you can go a long time by wetting the revolver with solvent, then blowing it out with an air gun. This is a legitimate alternative to the tear down, particularly for those with too many thumbs on their hand. A Q-tip dipped in motor oil and rubbed down between cocked hammer and transfer bar----make sure to get hammer/trigger engagement----goes a long way to protecting the melodious lockwork.

If you don't like my taste in oil, try your own. Oil is better than no oil. Metal likes lubrication; that includes the sight screws.

My .44 Special load in .44 Mag brass, which you asked about:
* Cast 240 SWC.
* 5.5 grains Win 231 (or 5.5/HP-38----231 and HP-38 are same powder).
* Large pistol primer----not magnum.
* .44 Mag case.
* Deep seat bullet to crimp about .030-.050" above front band.
* COL=1.500".
* Light roll crimp. No need for heavy crimp.
* Velocity around 800 fps, depending on revolver.
* Accuracy, of course, depends on bullet and revolver. Capable of 5 to 6-inches at 100 yards with good bullet in excellent revolver.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Note on using cylinder frame as a jig to observe hammer/trigger engagement. On any blued gun, or new, possibly rough parts, I put paper on frame. Cut X's to push paper over hammer and trigger pins. This prevents metal-to-metal contact, with potential for scratches on finish.
David Bradshaw

Chief 101

Hunter
Great post, reminds me that I have a 30 Carbine and a Max that need the same treatment...maybe today...thanks...30 C is OM so much quicker and no trgger work necessary...

Joe S.

Hunter
That Ron Power free spin pawl is on right? Looks a lot like Ruger's new free spin pawl in my Flattops...

Great pics! One of these days i may break and get a stainless gun... For our harsh MS winters. Lol

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Joe S.... you are correct. Ruger investment cast pawl is on left. Ron Power tool steel Free Spin Pawl on right. The Power pawl may be EDM cut, not sure, with separate pressed-in pin. The Ruger part is drop-in; the Free Spin pawl is fit to the revolver.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
DixieBoy.... The Ruger 03 has a short 11-degree forcing cone and .452" x .800" freebore. There is no Taylor Throating. Cast .452" bullets are a light friction fit in the freebore. The barrel was over-tightened at the factory, causing a compression right in the bore where the barrel shoulders against the cylinder frame. I had Mike Brazda of Bayou Teche Guns in Arnaudville, Louisiana pull the barrel. The barrel would then hand tighten to about 30-degrees Before Top Dead Center. I made a measurement based upon the thread width (don't remember figure) and had Brazda lathe turn the barrel shoulder some thousands of an inch more than the thread width. My calculation was for the barrel to hand tighten to about 10 or 12-degrees BTDC. Brazda's work was true and the barrel hand tightened as calculated. The effect is called THREAD TIMING.

Brazda then lathe-reamed the freebore to a depth of 0.800-inch, just enough to pass the barrel/frame juncture. I set this depth to remove any residual ring left in the bore after the barrel was removed from the frame the first time.
David Bradshaw

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Dr. C.... thanks, and keep up your own good work.

Chief 101.... I thought the New Model was a slap in the face of the Peacemaker lockwork----until release of the SBH 10-1/2-inch, which I shortly dubbed the "Silhouette Super." Through Bill Ruger , Sr., and Jr., I had a hand in the release of that configuration. But it is the New Model transfer bar lockwork----loading and unloading without touching hammer or trigger, with such robust hammer/trigger engagement surfaces----and competitive success which caused me to embrace the New Model over "old model" Rugers.

True, it is country simple to strip Peacemaker lockwork. And the melodious clicks of it's cocking sing so sweet... But the New Model has it beat.
David Bradshaw

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Excellent posts and pictures, I always learn a lot when I visit this forum.
Thanks DB and all the other contributors!