CZ Double Bbl. Shotguns...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've owned a lot of sxs doubles through the years, and for whatever reason, I don't own one now.

Being not a purist, a Fox B would suit me now. They've become scarce, and no longer the bargain they used to be.

So, enter the latest Turkish-made CZ double barrel sxs's. Been looking at them. They're not really blued nor polished, but black chromed. And they're a tad bit heavy. But they are gorgeous to me. At 750-ish, they are a bargain.

Anybody got any real experience with these?

Last edited:

mikem2

Single-Sixer
CZ shotguns are made in Turkey by Huglu. Tight actions, not all have ejectors, most are extractors. A bit heavy depending on the gauge. Barrels are nice, decent forcing cone work, winchester or beretta chokes. They hold up well.

Most of the Turkish manufacturers are house branding for companies now, for example Stevens.

Stevens are nice walnut, decent triggers, tight lock up, and receiver fit is tight.

Stoeger makes SXS, two trigger, extractors, basic stock wood, 28g is light weight, 20g 26" barrels is good in thick heavy stuff for no worries.

gunman42782

Hunter
You might try Stoeger side by side if you just wanted a utilitarian double. They aint as pretty as the CZ, but they are tough as nails and will get the job done.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Back when I lived in WI several members of our club had CZ's, both SXS and O/U. They shot them a lot over the years and IIRC never had issues with them.

Jagdhund

Bearcat
I've owned a lot of sxs doubles through the years, and for whatever reason, I don't own one now.

Being not a purist, a Fox B would suit me now. They've become scarce, and no longer the bargain they used to be.

So, enter the latest Turkish-made CZ double barrel sxs's. Been looking at them. They're not really blued nor polished, but black chromed. And they're a tad bit heavy. But they are gorgeous to me. At 750-ish, they are a bargain.

Anybody got any real experience with these?

I have two CZ Turkish SXS's: A 20 ga. Bobwhite and a 16 ga. Bobwhite. These are the older models, so their style differs from the newer models. I'm guessing the internals are the same. Both have been very dependable. I haven't checked lately, but the 20 probably has had close to 1,000 rds. thru it. I find it very comfortable and versatile, given its 3" chambers and choke tubes. The 16 is not quite so svelte. Its a bit heavy for gauge. No choke tubes and unfortunately, it patterns more like skeet and IC rather than IC and Mod. I use it mostly for quail. It is also fun to shoot black powder loads thru it.

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
I have a 20 Ga. CZ Bobwhite I bought NIB in 2005, first model with a Greener crossbolt, and casehardened receiver, decent wood, and the wood to metal fit is excellent. Triggers are 4.5 and 5.25 pounds and crisp. This is a lot of shotgun for the money.
The barrels are black chrome, and REALLY easy to clean. The casehardening is decent, not Turnbull quality, but still preferred.

As it was, the stock fit and dimensions for me was excellent, and I busted 21 out of 25 clay pigeons in my first outing, for me, that was really good. It's a keeper.
The newer G2 versions just don't do it for me. Plain wood, no Greener crossbolt (not really need as the double bite under lugs are fine, just like the extra metal work), and the matte finish just doesn't do it for me.

I liked the CZ 20 gauge so much, that I searched and finally found an earlier 12 gauge Huglu Import (before CZ contracted Huglu for their shotguns).

The 12 gauge has a Prince of Wales grip, great fit and good triggers, choke tubes, the stock is a very nice Turkish walnut stock, that will need a refinish to get to a nice hand rubbed oil finish (looks like an old school glossy Browning).

I'm not crazy about the coin finished receiver, but hey, can't have everything, for the $450 I paid for it 7 years ago.

I really like the CZ/ Huglu shotguns, as I can't afford a Westley Richards now.

Here's kinda-sorta my dilemma.

I've had some absolutely wonderful and beautiful shotguns in my years. In many cases, after a time or two in the field, I parted with them, just cuz they were too gorgeous and I always worried about scratching them, or otherwise immersing them in rain and mud. Some of them never left the house.

I don't s'pose I wouldn't worry about one of these CZ doubles also, but at the price, maybe I wouldn't worry so much...?

I'm seventy. I no longer see myself climbing up and down the endless rock slides of Central Oregon while chukar hunting, but I do a fair amount of impromptu grouse hunting while deer hunting. I've always got a shotgun in the truck, but one I don't worry about. I hope that I could own one of these doubles, and actually use it. :love:

Last edited: