Custom Bisley "Porting" / Barrel Rupture REPAIRED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seldomseen

Bearcat
A friend brought a new stainless steel Vaquero and a box of factory Remington ammunition . He promptly stepped over the indoor range and sometime during shooting the box of Remingtons one chamber on the cylinder bulged. When he called Ruger he said their first question was anyone hurt and the second was if he was going to file a lawsuit. After he convinced them he just wanted his gun fixed they quickly did so without charge.

He never got a explanation of whom was at fault; Ruger or Remington.

750k2

Bearcat
I curious how this ends?
What date range is it??
Might help if this starts showing up.
Weird it didn't let go though - but good at the same time.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
I sent Ruger an e-mail about it. The reply is below and I'll call the customer service number to discuss it with them.

It's a work in progress

Response: We recommend that you send your entire firearm into our Product Service Dept for evaluation. Ship to: S & R 411 Sunapee St. Newport, NH 03773. Put a letter inside with your firearm stating the issue. Include a daytime phone number, return UPS address, and mailing address. Also a email address or fax number if available. Pack in a plain brown box. Handguns can not be mailed. They have to be sent through a firearms dealer or FED EX. If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at: Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442Pistols: (928) 778-6555Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424 Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message. Sincerely,Ruger Firearms

jhco50

Bearcat
John in WYO said:
Thanks for the tips. Like I said, I'm not mad. Just glad no one got hurt.

I have no idea of the round count/type ammo used before I got it.

I've got 14 rounds left of the PMC ammo my son-in-law used.

No signs of a bore obstruction, no bulge, etc...

I sent an e-mail to Ruger and to PMC. We'll see what they say.

I've got a gunsmith ready to spin another barrel on it already.

Like you guys said, I've never seen one do that before either.

Good luck finding a barrel. Ruger won't sell a barrel to a gunsmith or you. I spent 2 years looking before I found one and then it was pretty expensive at $99.

jhco50

Bearcat
98Redline said:
Depending on the severity of the crack and what "may" have happened to the frame, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility you may end up with a new frame as well.

It will be interesting to see what Ruger does as I have heard horror stories about them keeping guns and giving you a discount on a new one, instead of fixing it.

It isn't just Ruger doing this as Smith does it too and I heard of another one on another site a few nights ago.

Acorn

Buckeye
Since the Ruger didn't offer to issue a call tag, if you are friendly with a local FFL, see if he is willing to ship is USPS. I't will save some bucks.

contender

Ruger Guru
John, the ruger reply is pretty straightforward. That's a polite business way to reply and give them the opportunity to examine the firearm to determine what happened. Even if you have to pay for the shipping one way, it'll be a lot cheaper than having to buy a barrel & get it properly installed.
Plus,, give Ruger the opportunity to study it. If they had a problem, they can not fix it without knowing about the problem or why it happened.

I know. I was the first person to send them a Redhawk many years ago where the barrel seperated from the frame. It was a painless experience for me to send them the gun, with a detailed letter of explaniation of everything. (Bought new, only shot reloads etc.) Well after they had me sign a liability release, (to prove I wasn't injured or planning on sueing,) I had a new gun. It took them a few years to discover it was an issue with the thread lube on the barrels. They even went as far as developing the Super Redhawk due to their uncertanity about why they were having a FEW issues.

Give Ruger the chance to make it right, AND study the gun.

G2

Hunter
Agree;,,,, Canned Email Response.

A CALL to the Customer Service Dept. and a POLITE request for a call tag and it will be on it's way.
IMNSHO. :wink:

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
Contender & Others:

I am polite, always.

I'll call Ruger and discuss it with them Monday.
No one was hurt, not interested in sueing. I've said that from the start.

I do have acess to a replacement barrel already if their timeline is too long. Didn't look long, already knew who to call.

I just posted to share with your guys an unusual occurrence. I had never seen one do that, thought you all might be interested also.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here's a 2004 6'10" 122 pounder Tom. Nope, it was a Marlin that did him in. .30-30.
2004lion362x600.jpg

Richbaker

Blackhawk
How do you measure that thing?? 6'10" would put whomever is holding it over 7'.... At least from what I can see.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Richbaker said:
How do you measure that thing?? 6'10" would put whomever is holding it over 7'.... At least from what I can see.

I am thinking the 6'10" is with both front and back legs stretched out.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
Richbaker said:

Yepper , I'm a BIG man. My daddy was the Tetons, my momma was a grizzly b'ar!

Lol. Reflecting on The Mountain Men with Charlton Heston.
Ken is correct. Nose to tail.

Ruger told me to call back after the first of the year for a return authorization number.

foxx1

Bearcat
I had one cracked in a superblackhawk 44mag w 7 in barrel,the crack was only about a inch long starting at the frame, well, i sent it in telling and ammitting that i was shooting reloads,which i thought would void any work. got my gun back 2 weeks later with a new barrel,in fact,they re-blued all of the gun to match. no charge. letter stated inferoir metal that caused it.surprised me cuz i bought this gun used.

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
I have 2 Magnum Research BFR's, both purchased new. Throughout the product literature are warnings against using PMC ammo. I got curious about this and emailed them with the question. Their response was one simple sentence - "The PMC brand is very inconsistent in powder charges, and is not safe."