Custom .22s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I've got a 2 year old little girl and I'd like to have a .22 put together for her whenever she's ready. I'm starting now so I have the freedom to wait for exactly what I want (okay, and because I really want to :)

I'm thinking of a Single Six or Bearcat, carbon steel so I can go the case colored/nitre blue route. I've liked the S&W rear sights on both of these guns on a Vaquero profile topstrap. I would really like a 4-5 inch thin or tapered octagon barrel with an custom cylinder. I'd at least like a bisley hammer if not grip, which Harton could probably do with a Bearcat. I have a Gallagher birdshead Bisley with a 4in barrel that's a favorite. I could do a blue/CC miniature of that gun.

Also, I'm not necessarily set on keeping the gun a .22 LR. I load and could do a 32 or any number of sub caliber wildcats so long as they're tested to work in revolvers.

My question is, what exactly would be the best base gun for a build like this? Any particular models, years, actions, etc that would be best? I would need to avoid or replace aluminum parts or figure out the best way to deal with the gold Bearcat trigger guard. Would you suggest I go with the Bearcat or the Single Six? I want this to be a gun that a 4-5 or 60 year old could shoot and have fun with, and the SS may be too big for small hands.

Bearcat based on my experience with my daughters. I started my girls with a Smith K22 and they didn't like it at all - too big and heavy. They loved plinking with .22 rifle but not the handgun until they got well into teenage years. I also found my preferences in guns and what I thought they would prefer was not even close to what they wanted and preferred. I'm a wheelgun and bolt action rifle guy - my girls not so much...

medicdave

Blackhawk
Got my son who's coming in December a little bearcat for the future, even came with an extra cylinder hiding in the box. I can't get my paws to comfortably hang onto the tiny grip, but should be the ticket for little hands. May have to add an adjustable sighted bearcat to his inventory when they get released.

Finishing this one up for the wife, she has smallish hands and wasn't comfortable with a red grip frame. Changed out the grip frame to a new xr3 and made a pinto out of it. The elk grips are on the thin side and the light round butt keeps it from digging in and making a hot spot when holstered. Still a work in progress, but it's almost ready for refinishing.