Custom gunsmiths today...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Who is doing really good custom work on Ruger single actions these days? John Gallagher was my go-to; sadly no longer with us. David Clements has retired. Bobby Tyler's site says they aren't taking any new work right now.

I have an old model flattop .357 that has already been worked over by Clements, a beautiful sixgun. But it's still in its original .357 chambering, and I like to have it become a .44 Special. All it needs is the cylinder bored out and the barrel either recorded or replaced. I have a old model Ruger factory .44 barrel in my parts bin.
Suggestions?

Who is doing really good custom work on Ruger single actions these days? John Gallagher was my go-to; sadly no longer with us. David Clements has retired. Bobby Tyler's site says they aren't taking any new work right now.

I have an old model flattop .357 that has already been worked over by Clements, a beautiful sixgun. But it's still in its original .357 chambering, and I like to have it become a .44 Special. All it needs is the cylinder bored out and the barrel either recorded or replaced. I have a old model Ruger factory .44 barrel in my parts bin.
Suggestions?
Wow you sound like a glutton for punishment. It ain't broke and you're just going to spend 10x as much money as it's worth devaluing it even more. I thought I had some screwed up thought processes.

Ryan Ross

I was very impressed with impressed the work he did on this 44Mag. He's the real deal and can do anything. I've owned a half-dozen FA and this revolver is every bit as good or better than my FA. It has two perfectly fitted grip frames and has had the kitchen sink thrown at it. He does grips, too, but these are by John Downey.

Last edited:

3manfan

Single-Sixer

Suggestions?
Gary Reeder in Flagstaff

contender

Ruger Guru
LONG before the factory offered a New Model Blackhawk in .44 spl,, it was a fairly common occurrence for folks to send off an Old Model,, for the caliber conversion. Skeeter Skelton had one done long before he passed away. (And he passed in 1988.) Probably one of the most common conversions done.

It's not a hard, nor terribly expensive option to have one re-chambered. I ran across a Bowen conversion about 14-16 years ago in a gun shop. It came home with me,, and now lives in Wyoming.

Actual skill is a dying art. For the past 30-40 years receivers come tapped for rails. CNC machines turn out parts better than almost anything 30-40 years ago. With YouTube and a Dremel tool anyone who knows which end of a screwdriver to use can do chamber and feed ramp aftermarket trigger and action jobs as well.

Latest posts