Crimson Trace for LCP" what's the point?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chupacabra

Bearcat
I think a laser on an LCP is a great idea. I mean, why spend 300 bucks on a pocket lint collector that most people will never use for it's intended purpose, when it can double as a cat toy and get used every day?

Spyder

Bearcat
Its not about separating me from my money or being trendy. I carry a gun to save my life or possibly someone else's, therefore I want to afford myself every possible edge for survival. In a life or death situation, the quicker you can acquire your target and get off those life saving rounds, the better. And, if you're going to give someone a gun with a laser attached, to use for defensive purposes, I hope you take the time to teach them proper techniques and encourage them to practice, practice, practice so that when that time comes, well.....nuff said...........

jjc333

Bearcat
I guess no one here is a police officer who's required to qualify from 25 yds in order to carry the LCP as an off duty gun. If you did ,you'd look for anything that will get you on the target from the 25 yd line because those factory sights won't cut it. I have laser grips on 2 of my snubs and swear by them. The great advantage is they can get you on the target when your on the ground and forced to shoot from an unconventional position. I think they are well worth the money.

HowardCohodas

Bearcat
Is a laser sight a good investment?

There have been many discussions in addition to this one on whether a Laser Sight such as a Crimson Trace LaserGrip/LaserGuard is a good value since it may add 50% to the cost of the combination over just the gun alone. Here is my case for it.

A laser sight has both tactical and training benefits. I only know about the tactical benefits through reports from others such as Todd Green on his pistol training website http://Pistol-Training.com/ and the videos on the Crimson Trace video http://crimsontrace.com/Home/Videos/tab ... fault.aspx. Rather than repeat the benefits here, I recommend that you take a look at the referenced material. I hope to take force on force training before the end of next year so I can have experiential knowledge about the benefits as well.

With respect to the training benefits, the above references have much to present, but I have personal anecdotal evidence as well. When I was learning to fly I learned that many of the skills that you hone by practice are perishable skills decreasing exponentially with time. The largest loss of skill occurs immediately after the training. As time progresses without renewing your skill, it continues to deteriorate a little less each day, but deteriate none the less. After 30 to 60 days without flying I would want to take a ride with a check pilot to bring my skill level up to a level where I would again be safe.

I submit that of the several factors involved with accurate pistol shooting, trigger discipline is one of the most important and furthermore, it is the type of skill that deteriorates in a similar way described above. I have neither the time nor the money to get to the range as much as would be optimal for me to maintain my trigger discipline. Dry firing with the laser and a snap cap give me a great trigger discipline training aid. The red dot on the wall 12' or so from my home office desk shows muzzle movement during trigger pull that is impossible to ignore. I dry fire both of my EDC pistols a lot. I am also working on shooting with both eyes open and point shooting. Both are still a work in progress.

With the cost of ammunition and range fees, it doesn't take very long before I have earned back the cost of the laser.

Bottom line... Even if the economics were not so compelling, the training benefits are a sufficient reason for me to own a laser sight. At this point, I do not consider a pistol EDC qualified unless it has a laser sight. To prove my conviction, I have both an M&P 45fs and an M&P 45c. I like shooting the 45fs. I love shooting the 45c. However, I EDC the 45fs because Crimson Trace does not have a LaserGrip for the 45c.

Burley

Bearcat
I don't have an LCP, but will soon have one of these exact same setups;

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEL-TEC-ARMALASER-B ... dZViewItem

If I ever had to pull it out, I would want all the help I could get, even if it's as little as 1%. I would guess that toy-lookig gun looks a lot bigger if there's a red dot on your 'nads.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

dicedealer

Bearcat
I can see people putting a laser on the LCP .
But then again i have seen peopleput $4000 worth of rims on a $200 car :lol:

Aleryn

Bearcat
Yeah the Crimson Trace is overkill to some extent, but it's an excellent product and doesn't hurt to have that little bit more assistance. No plans on buying one myself, but a friend's sure is nice. I think she paid way too much for it, but hell she loves it.

Jacksmyname

Bearcat
Bought a Smith M&P9c for myself for cold weather carry and bedside, a 642 for warm weather, and a 642 for my wife. She picked her 642 with CT grips.
ANYTHING that gives her the slightest edge if, God forbid, she ever needs to defend herself, is well worth the money to me.

TheJackal

Bearcat
HowardCohadas nailed it with his comment. I practice shooting the LCP. I enjoy shooting it now that I've put some rounds through it. I like the challenge it presents to shoot it well. The CT on mine has improved my ability to shoot the LCP and all of my other pistols. I am at the point now that I don't depend on the CT with the LCP. It was a great teaching tool for trigger control and sight picture. It also works great for home practice in dry fire mode.

If I am ever in a situation where I have to use force to defend myself, I want to maximize my advantage. Some say the the LCP is down on power and, compared to many pistols, that is clearly true. For that reason, it is imperative to use each round effectively. The CT on my LCP has helped me with my point and shoot process develop so that I have confidence to hit where I aim.

Roofuss

Bearcat
As a new member, having 3 surgeries on my 59 year old eyes , and a LCP owner, I am seriously considering a Crimson Trace for the gun. Trying to find out as much as possible before dropping the bucks and any / all help is appreciated , so keep the useful advice & comments coming ? Roof

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
:D UPS just delivered my Crimson Trace for my LCP. It took me all of ten minutes to read the instructions and install it on my pistol. I think I'm really going to like this. My first laser sight!

It seems to be well made and has adjustments for elevation and windage built it, although they say it adjusted at the factory and should not need any further adjustment. I have to admit that the red dot sets right above the front sight.

I guess my only complaint is the cost. Close to $170.00 for it. Well, I'll get over it.

The laser is sure very bright. :oops:

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
:D I should also add that I ordered the LCP Wallet Holster at the same time. It is designed to look like a wallet in your back pocket, but the pistol fits snugly inside. It also looks well made. :D

wildturk

Single-Sixer
Jeff Quinn":37x75fxb said:
I see the point, and have a CT Laser on my LCP, and on every other handgun that I carry for social purposes. The laser helps me to hit the target with greater precision in low-light conditions. If there was ever a gun that NEEDS a laser, it is the LCP. It is more likely to be in my pocket than a bigger gun when trouble finds me, and there is no way that I can see the sights on an LCP in low light. ESPECIALLY with a small pocket gun, every shot has to count. The CT Laser enables me to place the bullets where needed, and yes, even at 25 yards and beyond, the LCP is a useful defensive tool with the Laser. Without that laser, in dim light, the LCP is a contact weapon, at least for me.

DSC05201.jpg

I once thought of handgun laser sights as a gimmick. I was wrong, and am now a believer.

+1 and well said. I agree 100%, laser sights or grips are an excellent options on ant weapon.

Burley

Bearcat
I know, if you want to save money get a laser pointer and a cat. When you see a bad guy in your home, hit him with the laser pointer and have the cat attack him.

Ye Old Fool

Bearcat
Well, I started with the LCP.
I found the sight on my LCP almost "UN-findable".
I resolved this problem by using "Glow-In-The-Dark Sight Paint Kit" by 20-20 Concepts (http://20-20.8m.com/spk.html).
It was not so much as the "Glow-In-The-Dark" property, but after you apply the paint you can pick up the sights quickly. Glow in the dark is for naught, it needs to be exposed to light before it works
Then after reading about the advantages of a laser sight in close, no aiming, pistol comes right out of your pocket or purse see the on the target and shoot.
When I carried the LCP the outline in my pocket was obvious. Time to buy a pocket holster, I liked the Talon at $62 plus shipping. Then I found a comparable model by the Hunter Company online for under $21. I bought the Hunter; you need to soften the leather to pull the pistol out. The holster does the job it looks like a large wallet. To top it all off I picked up a ProMag (10) Rd. magazine for practicing, saves some time reloading.
I have put over 100 rounds through it with no jams. At 25 feet using the "Crimson Trace" and a rest, it held a two inch group for five shots. Just to finish off the day, at 25 feet using the painted iron sights in the standing position I fired off five quick rounds, at "hundred yard small bore target" and the group was a five inch long line running from 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock four in the black with one flyer. Very pleased with this little pistol.
I just hope I never have the occasion where I will need to use it off the range.

EdgeSR9

Bearcat
First,to the poster that says you shoot instinctive is false,no one shoots instinctive.You eat,mate and know when to go to the doctor or need help,THAT'S INSTINCTIVE,not shooting a firearm.
Second,you might not be in a position to gain your sights under stress.

AZBru88

Bearcat
I have CT on both my carry guns;Glock's 26 and 17, I love them. Just bought a LCP today, came home and ordered CT for it. Check out the video training on CT's website. Nice video's.
What I like about CT's is low light point and shoot. I can hold either gun at my waist (10 yards) and place the dot where I want to hit, shoot as fasts as I can realign the dot (which is very fast). No aiming, just point dot and fire.
I had bought the Glock 26 from a buddy who decided to stay .40 cal. He was sure sorry when he saw me shoot 27 rounds as fast as I could shoot at 10 yards into a 3" group. I do love my CT's.
I do understand others view points that a LCP is a up close and personal gun. Hard to miss someone at 2-3 yards. But I like every edge I can get. Can't wait to break the LCP in! Been dry firing, getting used to the trigger. Should have some time next week to put a few hundred rounds down the pipe. Hopefully the CT will be here by then!
:D