Crimp for 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arthury

Bearcat
Hi Folks,
Can you guys verify that this is a good crimp for the 44 mag cartridge for a full H110 magnum load?

If the crimp is not right, please tell me why and show me a picture of a good crimp.

Thanks!

PS: BTW, The bullet is not deformed, it's just a reflection.

7472132220_12b656238d_c.jpg

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
LOOKS FINE TO ME...but now go shoot five and see if the sixth cartridge's bullet shows slippage.
Remember: they must be TIGHT before the crimp is applied.

Tellico

Buckeye
That appears to be a plated bullet such as Berry's. Not good for full house loads if it is. They recommend around 1200 fps max. Also looks like the crimp may cut the plating if there is no crimp groove. This can cause the rear plating to pull off and lodge in the barrel with bad results. JMHO. If plated these rules pretty much apply to all. http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q13-c1-Is_separation_a_problem_with_Plated_Bullets.aspx

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Does that bullet have a cannelure or a crimp groove and is it jacketed? If so, your neck tension may be enough to pervent the bullet from moving under recoil if it's light enough.

I would not roll crimp a plated bullet in a magnum load. The roll crimp can cut through the plating. You are flirting with the plating separating from the core.

If you are using plated bullets, you might want to read the FAQ here:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx

You can't download H110/W296 to a midrange load. If those are plated bullets, I'd pull them down and start over.

Having said that, we really can't answer unless we know what bullet your loading there. It matters.

tek4260

Buckeye
It is kind of hard to see here, but turn your expander down a bit and increase your neck tension to the point you can see and feel the lube grooves. That way the crimp becomes much less of an issue.

DSCN1122.jpg

arthury

Bearcat
Tellico said:
That appears to be a plated bullet such as Berry's. Not good for full house loads if it is. They recommend around 1200 fps max. Also looks like the crimp may cut the plating if there is no crimp groove. This can cause the rear plating to pull off and lodge in the barrel with bad results. JMHO. If plated these rules pretty much apply to all. http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q13-c1-Is_separation_a_problem_with_Plated_Bullets.aspx

I have actually conversed with Berry's and they said their 500SW bullets have thick plating and go up to 2,000 fps with no issues.
and, yes, the 500SW bullets have a cannelure.

Tellico

Buckeye
arthury said:
Tellico said:

I have actually conversed with Berry's and they said their 500SW bullets have thick plating and go up to 2,000 fps with no issues.
and, yes, the 500SW bullets have a cannelure.

Oh Ok, I thought you where asking about a .44 mag load?

edfardos

Single-Sixer
if that's plated, check your forcing cone for sheets of copper tinfoil. Even at 1200fps, its not obvious but it shows up. I switched back to hard cast lead. That's also what I'd call a med/heavy crimp. I just crimp to match the contour of the cannelure, that's about it.. Extract a few slugs, check for copper or lead shavings if you use the crimper in your seating die.

edfardos

arthury

Bearcat
I do not see orange plating material on the forcing cone but I see some of the casing's shavings (yellow brass) on the mouth edge of the assembled ammo.

The ammo shot fine and pretty accurate. If I am not in a hurry, I have overlapping holes at 25ft.