Copper Plated 30-30 Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I did some more shooting with the Berry's 150gr copper plated bullets today. The H-4895 groups weren't that good. Seems I was pulling shots up and left a lot. Don't know what that was all about but I did settle down for a couple of good groups with Universal.

I didn't have any Unique or Trail Boss to try so I put together a few loads with Universal, 8.0 grains and 9.0 grains respectfully. These weak Universal loads were like shooting a 22 but they did group well. The bullets seem to do really well with light loads. :D

I think I'm going to load some up with 10.0 grains of Universal next time. :D

6gun

Hunter
What distance are you shooting from Jimbo? if that's 100 yard it's not all that bad, if you had a cannelure tool to put a cannelure on the bullets they may not be bad paper punchers, might be worth investing in one if you plan to shoot many of them.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That's 50 yards and I only use a front rest but I seemed to be jerking the trigger today or something.
Those bullets don't need a cannelure just a medium crimp from the FCD. :D

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Now, my number one question ..... after that much copper plating, how's the micro-groove barrel look. How much cleaning?

jd

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mr surveyor said:
Now, my number one question ..... after that much copper plating, how's the micro-groove barrel look. How much cleaning?
jd
I'll get back to you on that one. Last time though it was just black stuff just like with jacketed bullets. Clean-up is usually a snap. :D

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Poco Oso said:
You're using a bathroom scale to weigh your components? Not the best choice.

I had to go all the way back to the top of the thread to catch that one :lol:

jd

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mr surveyor said:
There was nothing unusual about cleaning the bore after shooting those copper plated bullets. I did find one tiny speck of copper on one of the patches but that's it. Just the usual black stuff. The bore is shinny as usual.

I think I'm sold on these copper plated bullets for low velocity shooting instead of lead or lead with gas checks. :D

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
mr surveyor said:
There was nothing unusual about cleaning the bore after shooting those copper plated bullets. I did find one tiny speck of copper on one of the patches but that's it. Just the usual black stuff. The bore is shinny as usual.

I think I'm sold on these copper plated bullets for low velocity shooting instead of lead or lead with gas checks. :D

Thank You, Sir!

I'm going to order a batch to test, just for trigger time with the 336.

jd

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I continue to shoot these copper plated bullets for plinking and at targets. I've settled on two different loads:
1) 28.0gr of H-4895 for around 2000fps. This is pushing them pretty hard.
2) and 10.0gr of Universal for a really soft kicking load to plink with.
....I'm now up to 12.0gr of universal....

I've got to get the chrono out some time and measure the velocity. Lots of fun. :D

Cary

Single-Sixer
That's pushing those pretty fast. I use Accurate 5744 and chrono them at just below 1700 fps. Are you getting good groups at that speed? Keep us informed on your results.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cary said:
That's pushing those pretty fast. I use Accurate 5744 and chrono them at just below 1700 fps. Are you getting good groups at that speed? Keep us informed on your results.
I don't know exactly how fast they are going but if I do my part I can shoot them as well as any other bullets. :D :D
In other words they don't seem to be doing anything funny.
I did find some data today from Hodgdon Cowboy Action Data 5th edition pamphlet that shows 30-30 Long Range Rifle.

160gr cast and H-4895 - start - 17.5gr for 1351fps at 15,200CUP ----- max - 21.0gr for 1562fps at 23,100CUP.
---------------- H-4198 - start - 15.0gr for 1420fps at 15,000CUP ----- max - 17.0gr for 1616fps at 20,600CUP.

That is some really slow data. I wasn't sure how much I could fall back with the H-4895 so that is kinda reassuring.

Cary

Single-Sixer
Cabela's has those bullets on sale now for $31.49 a box of 250. That is ~ 13 cents a bullet which makes a good price for plinking bullets. Cabela's has a store in Boise so I can use their order to store option also and save any shipping cost. I mainly shoot my own cast lead bullets out of my Marlin 336C and hardly ever clean the bore because my load does not lead the barrel. I found H or IMR 4198 to be a good powder in the 30-30 for cast bullet loads. Once I use up my supply of Accurate 5744 I may switch to it in my 30-30 loads. I already use the 4198 powders in my 45-70 cast bullet loads. Have fun Jim.
Cary

Cary

Single-Sixer
I ordered two boxes of them . I went back and checked my targets and have some decent 100 yard targets with the load I used. Cary

cadillo

Blackhawk
pps said:
Your bullets are not going to fly apart at any 30-30 velocity. If you size your bullets properly they will not lead your barrel either. My lube is simply beeswax, enough vaseline to make it flow through the lube sizer, and Johnson's Paste Wax to leave the bore as smooth as a baby's butt.

I'm pushing my 150 grain cast a bit more than 2500 ft/sec with no leading. I might back down on velocity to get them to group better than the 3" I'm presently getting at 100 yrds but they do not come apart unless they hit something.

Wheel Weight 1:1 with lead for the hollow point gives a soft varmint round that blows itself apart upon impact, whereas the solid with ww heat treated to a BHN 18 (if you trust some of the testing equipment)

2015%2008%2023_9931_edited-1_zpsdsixng0b.jpg

solid%20versus%20hollow%20point_zpsa63a37aq.jpg

The solid penetrated about 2 feet of mulch, the one on the right went about 15 to 16" but blew A LOT of mulch out of the trap

So what mould is that?

pps

Single-Sixer
cadillo said:
pps said:
Your bullets are not going to fly apart at any 30-30 velocity. If you size your bullets properly they will not lead your barrel either. My lube is simply beeswax, enough vaseline to make it flow through the lube sizer, and Johnson's Paste Wax to leave the bore as smooth as a baby's butt.

I'm pushing my 150 grain cast a bit more than 2500 ft/sec with no leading. I might back down on velocity to get them to group better than the 3" I'm presently getting at 100 yrds but they do not come apart unless they hit something.

Wheel Weight 1:1 with lead for the hollow point gives a soft varmint round that blows itself apart upon impact, whereas the solid with ww heat treated to a BHN 18 (if you trust some of the testing equipment)

2015%2008%2023_9931_edited-1_zpsdsixng0b.jpg

solid%20versus%20hollow%20point_zpsa63a37aq.jpg

The solid penetrated about 2 feet of mulch, the one on the right went about 15 to 16" but blew A LOT of mulch out of the trap

So what mould is that?

It's an MP mold from this thread. MiHec had a few left last I heard.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229973-MiHec-308-Hunting-Boolit-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-Rerun

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Been shooting Berry's plated pistol bullets for several years, and they work well for me. Inexpensive and far easier to clean up than lead.

About 3 years ago, I tried Berry's .30-30 plated bullets for a Browning M1885 Traditional Hunter sporting a Leopold 6.54x20 'scope. Stock trigger. Best load in neck sized cases: 17.3 grains IMR 4227, CCI BR-2 primers. With this load, best shot 5 shot group at 100 yards was 3/4 "x 7/16". Most 5-shot groups run 'bout 1- 1 1/4" at 100 yards.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
You state your bullets are copper plated, why should there be lead in a barrel?
Is it not placing a jacket on a bullet to not have lead?
A 30/30 round usually takes a kiss crimp or a slight roll crimp, I use FCD and/or Redding pro dies. I do not use any crimp groove for any gun. There is no way to get a true test because of groove depth, you can't measure it.
Roll crimping a plated bullet is too hard to do, too soft. I shoot 15K lead bullets a year, every year for many years CAS. That was for SA pistols and lever action rifles with roll crimps only.
Copper is softer than normal jacket therefor should leave some behind in any barrel? Ys/no?
For years of shooting various weights of lead bullets,Ive found you don't need plating s it usually requires a softer BH.
I was always under the impression your lead was BH12-14,swaged. I don't ever remember your plated bullets used in CAS as a low BH, comparing prices yours were double lead.
Next problem I have with your data, you are using extra sloow powder in testing which makes me wonder WHY use H110,
why use 4895 when you are using 4227, a 150@2500, Im assuming barrel is 20" lever action, Jimbo?? or? the real reason is ?
Please don't get me wrong, your stuff doesn't add up. Jimbo