Completed my needs for 44 Magnums.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have in the past owned most every configuration of single and double action revolvers in the 44 magnum chambering. I have learned a lot regarding my specific needs. I have gone away from single actions in anything larger than 357. For me, the DA's handle better.

All that being said, I earlier picked up a 4" Redhawk for woods carry when not carrying a rifle. Recently I decided to go back to some hand gun hunting with the idea of carrying my Marlin 1894 44 Mag as a backup for longer shots. I didn't want the bulk of a 6"-7 1/2" so, decided to find something that appealed to me with a 5" barrel.

Well, today I found it. A 5" pre-lock S&W 629 Classic. Why not a 5 1/2" Redhawk? A little too heavy for me, besides I shoot the Smith better. Anyway here is my new 44 Mag duo. :D

Dave

Cholo

Staff member
That Smith should be able to stack them at 50 yds. I only have 2 scoped handguns, and one is a 6 1/2" 29 Classic. It's spooky accurate off a bench on a good day. Since I'll leave mine scoped, it won't get shot much anymore. Enjoy the hell out of your new toy. I think you'll come to like it pretty well!

I had a 6 1/2" Classic some years ago. It was very accurate. To the range soon to see how this one prints.... I like the balance of the 5". My 4" Redhawk has a better DA trigger, but the Smith is light and crisp in SA. Should be a good shooter out to 50 yds.

Looks like you have a great pair. I went to Alaska with a model 29 in nickel and subsequently went to the 629 over time. But I do like the Redhawk, and the Alaskan and the Bisley and the plowhandle. Just can't decide which is my favorite. A

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I can't seem to get enough .44s. Last count was 7 and I'm still looking. One of those Smiths like yours could definitely find a home here were I to come across it. Presently have two S&W .44s - a mid-70s 29-2 6 1/2" and a 4" 24-3 in .44 Special. That last one went to the deer woods with me today in company of a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts.

I shot the 5" 629 off sand bags @ 50yds last Wednesday. Was able to keep the kill zone covered pretty well. These were 200gr/1400fps loads. The group was about 5". Since I probably won't be shooting much more than 30-40 yards, this accuracy will do.

The 4" Ruger Redhawk on the other hand was about 8" with same load. This gun will be my "up close and personal" trail gun and will be loaded with some 300gr "bear loads".

I also have a Marlin 1894 carbine in 44 Mag. That is all the 44 Mags I own, but do have a 3" 696 Smith in 44 Spec that I really like.....

Dave

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I like the Smiths for carrying seeing they are "lighter" but I like my Redhawks for shooting. I have a 4" 29 that rides well on my side but when I go hunting I usually carry either a 5.5" Redhawk in .44 or .45Colt in a shoulder holster.
A man can't own enough .44 Magnums

trapperon

Blackhawk
Another great new 44 magnum is the Smith and Wesson model 69. An L frame 5 shot 44 magnum with a 4.25 inch barrel. Mine is a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate as well. Just a slim trim revolver with a half lug barrel. Its the first smith I have ever owned with a lock............that's how nice they are!!

Ron