Compare Ruger Remington Winchester

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Having owned Remingtons and Conn Win's since the '80's---I can firmly state they are garbage-----you couldn't pay me to own another one.

Have a .30-06 Hawkeye that has been fantastic.

The NEW Winchesters look really nice---but I have no experience with them--so can't say one way or the other.

Browning A and X bolts are also excellent if you don't want a Ruger---as are the Tikka's and Sako's.

Had a few Weatherby's--the real ones not the Howa's-----only one was accurate----pretty hit and miss considering the price---have also owned a couple Kimbers---lightweight and handy---not very accurate.

Savages have a good rep--but have never owned one---I can't get past the god awefull ugly action.

And yes---I have OWNED darn near everything over the years and my opinions are based on actual experience.

tss106

Single-Sixer
stanimals2":2qb47zmb said:
WOW !! its nice to see so many positive post for the Ruger.

Yes......, very surprising - especially considering this is a Ruger forum! :shock:

What surprises me is there hasn't been much mention of the Hawkeye in very many comparisons (that's what the op was looking for?). I also have M77's and Mk-II's but I still just can't get over that matte finish on the Hawkeyes (blue or stainless). As much as I like Rugers, put me in the old-fashioned deep blue polished metal/walnut group that would probably take one of them "embarrassing" FN Model 70's over a Hawkeye.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
You forgot the maker of the most accurate (production-consumer bolt-action) rifles - Savage.

Out-of-the-Box, I've never had an over-the-counter rifle with the inherent accuracy of any Savage I bought.

Nothing wrong with any American-made bolt rifle, Remington, Ruger, Marlin, Savage, or Winchester

stanimals2

Bearcat
Sorry I am used to posting on another board that is full of haters so I just got so excited to see a post that isnt thrashing Rugers that I forgot where I was LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I was handling a Hawkeye yesterday with the matte blue finish and actually like the way it looks. I appreciate a deep blue finish on a range rifle, but like the non-reflective matte for hunting.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I have been a Winchester loyalist for many years. Never had a problem with them. Never owned a Remington, but most of my hunting and shooting buddies shoot Big Green.

Over the past few years, I have migrated away from bolts were hunting, favoring my Ruger #1 and a couple Marlin levers. The thick woods were I hunt are better suited for iron sights.

I have been inflicted with an unrelenting desire t add a 358Win to the inventory, hence a growing interest in Ruger's Hawkeye rifles. Looked at the BLRs, but that's like calling a Yugo a sleek sportscar. Not trying to be offensive to any BLR fans out there.

wwb

Hunter
I'll echo the post by mohavesam..... take a VERY hard look at a Savage if you're considering a bolt action. I have a "Liberty" M77 in .30-06 that does the job, so I'll keep it.... but if I were in the market for a replacement, it would be a Savage.

My son shoots a 114 .30-06 that's more accurate than the M77 with any ammunition we've tried, including several flavors of handloads. My varmint gun is a 12FV in .223, and it will shoot a 3/8" 5-shot group with the right handloads - and shoots an inch or less with anything I've tried.

fighterpilot

Bearcat
I just bought an inexpensive Marlin XS7 in .308 win. I was pleased with the smoothness of the action and the adjustable accu trigger, much like the Savage accu trigger. After taking the rifle to the range, I was more than happy with my purchase. Using 150 gr. Remington core-lokt bullets, I was able to shoot consistent 1 1/4" groups at 100 yds, with a few groups having all three rounds touching in a clover pattern. Not bad for a rifle that was on clearance at Academy Sports for $250.00.
If you're looking for a gun with visual appeal, this is not the gun for you (then again neither is Savage) but I will say, it shoots and shoots very well.
I also have a Ruger MkII Stainless/composite in .270 WSM that I wouldn't trade for the world. Nice handling, attractive, and it shoots well enough for 99% of all hunting situations. I've got a Ruger International in .243 win. that is very accurate and one of the more attractive guns in my safe.
In the end, buy what you like. The gun has to make you happy, no one else!

bcp

Bearcat
picketpin":3bmnjmma said:
I will say that it's sort of like working on a small block Chevy to work on a 700 Remington. It won't do anything a small block Chrysler or Ford won't do, however there are about a zillion aftermarket parts, fixes and tweaks available for the Chevy when compaired to the others.

The Remington is the best rifle because it is easier to replace all the parts with good ones.

:D

Bruce

miniman

Single-Sixer
If the remington is so good why do you have to replace all the parts with good ones :roll: :roll: all the guns in the above posts are good they all get the job done with the right ammo right out of the box.

McM

Bearcat
I have recently changed over to buying Ruger, I have owned Remington(mostly) some Winchesters(both pre 64 and USRA). Remington has always been the standby but my last two "new gun" purchases of Remington had to go back to the factory. My buddy also sent a new one back. Remington was known for value over Winchester but not anymore
their prices are right up there. My latest purchase is a Hawkeye which seems good but time will tell.....

bracer

Bearcat
I was given my first rifle in 1949. Over the years I have tried out Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Sako,Weatherby, Browning,Cooper ,Kimber,Ansultz, Howa and Parker Hale rifles. Some were accurate out of the box. Some needed a tune up . To get a rifle to shoot smaller groups it may take glass bedding the action,free floating the barrel, adjusting the trigger,lapping the bolt locking lugs,lapping the muzzle,free floating the magizne box, and removing wood under the bolt handle.Reloading ammo for a rifle may also improve the accuracy of the rifle. Get any new rifle now --good luck. Expect to do some tune up work.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Kinda like asking which woman is more beautiful? A redhead, a blond, or a brunette? The answer is yes and no on any particular day. :lol:

Kinda stuck to the Ruger, because it is all American, innovative casting technology, reliable, gets 'er done, classic in appearance and function, and they fall into the working mans rifle category. Has features others had to follow, like hand chekering, and well I have a ton of them :lol: If it feels good, do it! If not, do something else, but just do it! Shootin' a piece of art that is also a tool is what it is all about.

rifleman51

Bearcat
Other than the Ruger, you forgot the one brand that makes the others look and shoot like crap. That is the Savage.
With the Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock they are heads and tails above the others. Better workmanship and accuracy. The other bonus is that you can easily change out barrels yourself when the barrel gets shot out or if you want a different shape/length barrel.
Savage just continues to leave the others behind.

Best Regards, John K

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Itchy":2av5bap0 said:
It has a lot going for it from the tang safety to a smooth bolt etc but savages are not the beauty queens of the school more like the smart girl next door.

Hi,

"If you wanna be happy
For the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife,
So from my personal point of view,
Get an ugly girl to marry you."

--Jimmy Soul

I agree all the traditional "7-series" rifles are nice, most are good values, and some of 'em shoot pretty well, too.

But if you're more concerned about where the bullet lands than anything else, Savage has a lot going for it!

I secretly lust a little when my brother in law pulls his M-77 from the case (he found a real purty one), and a buddy's pre-64 Model 70s raise the blood pressure whenever they come out of the safe. But none of 'em will outshoot my ugly ol' Savage...

Seems that counts for something. ;)

Rick C

rbertalotto

Bearcat
This is always a fun topic......

I've owned about a dozen Ruger bolt action rifles over the years. I love the feel of their Len Brownell designed stock and the actions are usually quite slick......But I've NEVER owned a Ruger rifle, in any chambering that has shot well. I currently have 8 Ruger #1V rifles (I collect the 1V), and none of them are what I would call accurate. Sure, any Ruger rifle can shoot "minute of deer" and if that's what you are using them for, I'm sure you will be happy.
When I say this I get all the Rugerphiles in an uproar. I run an Egg Shoot down here in Dartmouth, MA. I've been running it for 16 years. Folks tell me they can hit eggs at 200 and 300 yards with Ruger rifles. I never doubt them, but when they come to a shoot, they go home with thier heads held low. Lots of the Ruger Varmint rifles have tried, but a Ruger rifle has never won an Egg Shoot. Being a Ruger fan I sure wish someone would show up with one of these real accurate Ruger rifles they tell me about and shoot some eggs......

Up until about 8 years ago, the predominant winning rifles in the factory class were Remingtons. A good Remington could break 10 out of 15 eggs at 200 yards. And that was usually good enough to win. But then along came Savage! $300 box stock Savage rifles are breaking eggs in the 13 or 14 out of 15 class. We've had a few Savage stock rifles hit 15 for 15 at 200 yards. Not a small feat for a factory rifle.
In the last few years, 99% of all the Egg Shoots have been won by Savage rifles in the factory class. They are amazingly accurate rifles. In fact, at one of the shoots last year, a stock Savage rifle shot against the $4000 custom rifles and won. No one could believe it! And we are talking about a "Shoot Off" where we replace eggs with 1/2" diameter "DumDum" lollipops at 200 yards and that Savage rifle hit three in a row to win. Amazing.....

So....Personally...I hunt with a Winchester Model 70 featherweight if I'm not mountain climbing. I like the "Rifleman's Rifle" for it's great trigger, firing pin lock safety, and great feel of the Featherweight stock. I have three of them...270 Win, 6.5 X 55 Swedish and 338 Win Mag.
But if I'm walking, and doing a bunch of climbing, I have a Remington 700 Titanium with a pencil thin 257 Roberts Ackley barrel in a Kevlar stock. I can walk and climb all day with that "stick" on my back...
If I'm Prairie Dog shooting I have a few Coopers and custom guns that are serious accuracy champs.....

Surprisingly, as much as I respect the Savage rifles, the only one I own is a model 10 cheapie, in 270WSM. I bought this rifle for $250 for a knock around "Truck Gun" and it gets the S kicked out of it. But on a set of bags it will put three rounds in nearly the same hole at 100 yards with a 2-7X scope. Blows my mind every time I shoot it......

All rifles are fun...." But only accurate rifles are interesting...."

www.rvbprecision.com to reads about the Egg Shoots.

model1

Bearcat
miniman":3arvb5de said:
If the remington is so good why do you have to replace all the parts with good ones :roll: :roll:

Apparently, you didn't catch BCP's saracasm there. I did and it gave me a good laugh. :lol:

As for the topic of the thread, I also have to pipe in on the merrits of Savage. I did a ton of research while shopping for a bolt. Everything I read praised the Savage for accuracy. Although the thing is god-awful, butt-ugly, I bought it anyway. Price was just too good not to try it. Well, all I can say is WOW!! Bought a plain-Jane 110 in .270 Win. with a crappy Simmons, package deal. This thing shoots, period. It's like it's almost not an effort to put three shots inside an inch at 100. I swear I can just get her lined up and touch it off and there it is. Savage put's it's money and effort into the trigger and barrel. They certainly don't spend cash on asthetics.

Keeping in mind that no gun shoots well if the guy behind it can't shoot, I've been up against Rems, Wins, Sakos, Brownings, and Rugers. We have an annual pre-season shoot off. I won two years running since I bought the Savage. The crew writes it off as me having a good day. I'm here to tell you this gun shoots!! I'm considering spending some coin on a nice looking stock for it.

Just got a 1B in .270 with a nice VX-3 3-1/2 to 10. Haven't shot it yet. I can't wait to compare. I'll report back when it's nice enough to go to the range. It is a beautiful gun, I almost don't care if shoots good, it just looks good.

rifleman51

Bearcat
Those who have Savages who want them to be more accurite than they already are, want a custom stock not available anywhere else or just want a plain barrel nut without the cuts in it, want a Savage pistol built on a Savage rifle action, contact Scott at www.savagegunsmithing.com. Want a caliber not offered by Savage or a big Magnum caliber not offerd by Savage, give him a call.
He is a true master riflesmith and does the best work on Savages period.
One Savage he built for a guy holds the unofficial 3000 yard record of 5 shots in under 24". The only reason it was not official was that it was a club shoot, not an NRA shoot. Scott is waiting to get his new action design built before having the guy shoot the official record. He wants the record on his action, not Savages. This guy can do anything to a Savage including left hand conversions on any caliber, he also lengthens Savage actions and magazine boxes to take cartridges longer than the standard Savage long action takes. He builds all the left hand conversions for McMillan Gunstocks. He also works on any other brand of rifle or shotgun. Scott guarentees his accurized Savage rifles to shoot .3" or less 5 shot groups at 100 yards using his handloads, and he gives you the load information. Just a funny side note about the egg shoots. Two local clubs have banned Savage rifles at their egg shoots because two of his customers using Savage rifles have cleaned house at every shoot.
P.S. He does great work on Ruger rifles including #1's and #3's
Best Regards, John K

rbertalotto

Bearcat
holds the unofficial 3000 yard record

Did you really mean "3000" yards........That's close to two miles. I'd not heard of this type of shooting. I thought the boys over in England and Australia shooting 2000 yards was about the limit. And even then, they hold on a target thirty feet above the point of impact and it takes the bullet over 7 seconds to reach the target. The bulls eye is something like 12' in diameter!

rifleman51

Bearcat
Yes, 3000 yards. The rifle was a very, very heavy barreled Savage in .338 Lapua Mag, custom stocked and bedded. The scope mount had 20 degrees moa built in and the scope had to have a custom built reticle in it just to get it on target. The bullets were made of solid bronze and custom CNC machined with a BC lower than any commercial bullet available. This guy is an amazing shooter. As soon as Scott gets his custom action built, they will have a go at setting a new national record at an NRA sponsered event. I've got to check with Scott, it may have been 5 shots into 36", not 24 inches. Thinking about it I think he may have told me the guy put 5 in 24" at 2500 yds and the 3000 yd shots went into 36". No way it could have been 24", I've got to stop staying up so late. I'll double check on Monday I don't even think I can see that far.

Best Regards, John K