Collectors & the Current Value Situation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Just Curious what everyone has to say. Over the past 2 years it seems the bottom has fallen out of the Ruger Collector pricing. I have watched many very nice Old Model Rugers on various Auction sites and even here in our own classifieds go unsold and they are priced well below RENE guide pricing.

Is it just the economy or is it something more? A few years back there were many bidding wars for any Old Model that hit the market. Now there doesnt seem to be any market at all.

I see there is a Nice boxed 10" 44 Flattop on Gunbroker with a Buy-it-Now price of $2500 and its been there for over a month, unbelievable!!!!

Whats everyone have to say?

Dan

G2

Hunter
Dan,
No Doubt it is the Economy and the availbility of money, Not what it was.

I have bought so many neat, hard to find guns at great prices, I am Gun rich and CASH poor, and there still neat, hard to find, great deals showing up.

I had a fellow forum member invite me to Tulsa, but I'm afraid to go, I will spend more money on deals and I just about got the CC paid off. Self imposed gun diet.

And then Boxhead listed .45 octagon FA this past week at a great price. Was very tempted to fall off the wagon. :wink:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I agree the economy has a lot to do with gun sales. People just are not letting go of the money. :shock: I have noticed prices dropping dramatically on certain Ruger models while some seem to be holding there own. I have noticed the biggest drops in Flattops and Hawkeyes while Single Six lightweights and actually Old Army's seem to not really be effected. Being my favorites are the early auto pistols I have noticed the decline there as well. To me its like the stock market you by low and sell high, well right now I have been on a buying frenzy. Even on new guns making 8% is tough. I recently received the RENE value guide and noticed prices were UP!!! makes me want to ask where these figures are coming from. Rod's two guns the red eagle that in my opinion should have brought an additional 150.00 than what it actually sold for and the black eagle gun about 75.00 more. Lets not even talk about memorabilia!!! That market is terribly soft. But you don't see much on Ebay like you did in the GOOD OL'E DAYS....... :)

Needn't wonder where the RENE prices come from. Chet15 sends the annual "questionaire" out to all who want to participate in the pricing venture. Apparently "we" think that's what these guns are worth. Or is it, perhaps, what we WANT our guns to be worth? Hmmmmmm.

;)

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Can't sell your collector-grade Sturm Rugers for what they're worth anymore? Try another market... California. Our imposed gun laws have created an artificial shortage of used handguns at unreasonably high prices. We'll pay more if people will just ship to us.

Axehandle

Buckeye
No doubt the economy is bad... Another culprit could be all the recent instant collectables produced by Ruger.. These NM FT 44 Specials have totally absorbed my gun budget for 2010...

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Needn't wonder where the RENE prices come from. Chet15 sends the annual "questionaire" out to all who want to participate in the pricing venture. Apparently "we" think that's what these guns are worth. Or is it, perhaps, what we WANT our guns to be worth? Hmmmmmm.
;)

Yes...I make every attempt to get this out to as many indiiduals as possible. Sent about 30 copies out via email and others via snail mail. But when we only get a few of those back, it makes things tough.
And...I have always asked that people put prices in there of "What they would expect to pay another collector for a particular item".
Chet15

As I recall, this year it was opened up to anyone on the forum who wanted to participate.

It would be interesting to know how many total responses you received.

:mrgreen:

the GOOD, top notch "collectibles, can and will sell, if nowhere else, among the true "collectors", it is the more common, everyday stuff that does NOT, I can NEVER get the prices that may be shown in the 'price guide' or the Blue book, no sirree, gotta price them to "sell" (move) and then they will...and even then, I still have a few here that NO -ONE even stops to take a look at , at any given show................MOST want high capacity, carry, home defense guns, ...the 'black plastic stuff sells.................and YES, fewer 'gun dollars' out there, I worked this weekend for one of the local promoters, doing security, checking/tying guns at the door, and the majority of the people coming to the show, were SELLING stuff, and the rest were looking for holsters and /or ammo.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
My take...it's the economy. I think while not as bad as it was, people are still keeping a closer eye and tighter hold on their extra funds.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Somebody has some disposable income, the .243 XGI on Gunborker is up to $4,275!

Think people are looking for good bargains, have picked up several guns off Gunbroker to add to collection at below RENE pricing level, figure others are looking for similar opportunities.

Figure now is the time to acquire those Rugers you could otherwise not afford.

coal

Bearcat
I have a super brassy that I probably won't sell due to the economy. Maybe someday prices will climb again but I'll continue to take offers. I can only say no. If enough sellers say no the buyers will up the ante.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I believe it is mostly the economy. I dabble in a lot of different "collectable" type arenas and they are all hurting. Recurve bows you couldn't touch for less than $800-900 two-three years ago are going unsold at $450.

Only a select few are spending freely.

picketpin

Buckeye
Another issue is simply the AGE of the people in the gun market/collecting.

I've been buyng #1s for over 40 years. MOst of the one i"ve wanted I have acquired over the years. Now at 60+ there are very very few #1s that interest me. When they do finally show up I'm prepared to pay a FAIR price but also I understand that I simply well nevr own every #1 I'd like. Either it just hasn't shown up yet and a few have simply been so grossly overpriced that it's pretty easy to live without one that you have already done without for 30-40 years.

So now I only buy honest "Bargains" or rare ones that are fairly priced and there really isn't one out there that I can't live without.

So yes the ecomoney is down but I also think the number of guys that are actively colelcting is dropping. Most of us are getting older and and fewer and fewer young guys have the disposable income to spend, on guns or any other "want".

RWT

chet15

Hawkeye
bigbore45colt said:
Chad,

Out of curiosity, out of the 30 or so email copies, how many did you get back?

BB45C

Most of the ones I sent out were email, its just easier. So I got 8 or 9 of those back. Received 1 or 2 hardcopies back.
All were from collectors.
Really, I do appreciate all the input I receive from these from anybody who returns them...but especially those that are mostly filled out, otherwise there probably wouldn't be any prices at all returned for New Models or some of the lesser collected areas.
And this is the exact reason why I don't do a DA and long gun price guide....because there wouldn't be enough input to make the averages come out even half way accurate.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
the GOOD, top notch "collectibles, can and will sell, if nowhere else, among the true "collectors", it is the more common, everyday stuff that does NOT, I can NEVER get the prices that may be shown in the 'price guide' or the Blue book, no sirree, gotta price them to "sell" (move) and then they will...and even then, I still have a few here that NO -ONE even stops to take a look at , at any given show................MOST want high capacity, carry, home defense guns, ...the 'black plastic stuff sells.................and YES, fewer 'gun dollars' out there, I worked this weekend for one of the local promoters, doing security, checking/tying guns at the door, and the majority of the people coming to the show, were SELLING stuff, and the rest were looking for holsters and /or ammo.

Yes...no doubt about it. There are two types of buyers...the 95% who are looking for that hi-cap auto, ammo or whatever happens to be "popular" at the time, and the 5% who are looking for something in particular to fill a hole in their collection or for investment.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
SteelShooter said:
Somebody has some disposable income, the .243 XGI on Gunborker is up to $4,275!

Yes...Ruger is selling these the right way by offering one example every once in a while....this is the reason they are being bid up so high.
But if Ruger just dumped the other 350 XGI's that they still have that were completed onto the market, the bottom would drop out.
Chet15

mike722

Buckeye
yep, there are a lot of nice old models available..when's the last time you saw TWO nice 10" 44 flattops for sale on an auction site in the same week? It seems like a lot more folks are selling them, causing the "bottom" to drop out temporarily.. and even those who have a little spare cash are not budging unless it's a super-tough-to-find gun..
I wish those stags and ivories would start coming out of grandpa's closet though :wink: