Chrony F-1 chronograph?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
Those who have experience or first-hand knowledge pertaining to the Chrony F-1 chronograph, please describe it to me. I am particularly interested in:

- Its generally accepted accuracy at measuring velocities under 2000 fps;

- Ease of using its screens, their durability, and cost of replacement (if necessary);

- Generally accepted overall reliability in terms of sunny, cloudy, and overcast skies.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
Be sure and go to their site for more complete information, different models and accessories. Also the places that sell them (MidwayUSA, etc) have a good condensed description of each model.
I've had an F-1 for I don't know how long. I'd need to retrieve the manual to be exact but I'd bet somewhere near 25 years.

I don't doubt their claim of reading 30fps - 7000fps capability. I have recorded velocities between 650fps - 3450fps readily.

Ease of use and readily capturing bullet velocities is directly related to following the instructions.
Use of or removal of the diffusers on sunny, cloudy or overcast day does make a difference in capturing the bullet, as does painting the bullet with a felt marker. This and more are in the instructions.

For less than $20 each, the use of a tripod can't be overstated. It is so much quicker, easier and adjustable than anything else you can likely come up with. I went a little further to improve performance (or so I think) by attaching a 24" square piece of corrugated plastic sign material to a second tripod to prevent the sunlight shining on the sensors.

Shooting Chrony does have a trade in section for damaged, shot-up, or any make chronograph. In my case I can swap my F-1 for a F-1 Master for $84.95 + $16.95 shipping. I might do this if my brother in law shoots my unit again and kills it this time.

My only regret is not getting the F-1 Master.

Rclark

Hunter
Not much to describe. It works. It is compact. Easy to setup. Easy to replace battery when needed. Simple as you just have an on-off switch. Run 30 rounds over it, then turn, off, back on for next string. I use a adjustable camera tripod and the longest part of setup is lining up your rest on shooting bench, the F1, and the target! I've marked on the screen legs with black tape the area that the instructions tell you to shoot between height wise. I never shoot off-hand over it. Always from bench. Less likely to ever hit chrono that way. Some days the LCD is a bit hard to read due to where the sun is shining, but other than that. I like it. I've shot on cloudy, partly cloudy, and clear days. So far so good. Been using for several years now.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
What Rclark said - works, compact, easy to set up and replace battery if necessary, simple. I'll just add that I keep a spare battery taped down inside of mine. It's not that my F-1 goes through many batteries, it's just that one time I drove down to the range (the county gravel pit about 4 miles from home) to do some shooting, only to discover I'd left my Chony switched on from my previous trip to the range. My wife went back to the house to retrieve a 9V battery while I got everything else set up.

I guess if a person was shooting at a public range where there were other shooters around, some kind of remote control or a readout right at your shooting bench might be nice, or even necessary. But for my purposes, an F-1 works great. If I have to reset my Chrony, I just lay my gun down and get up and go do it - just switch it off and back on. I write the velocities down in a notebook, and after shooting a string, plug the velocities into a pocket calculator to find the average. Sometimes I even get fancy and plug the velocities into Excel on this computer in order to find standard deviations. But most of the time, unless I'm having problems shooting decent groups, I don't get all that technical.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I will just add a few points from my experience to the above comments -

Get the model with the remote display and get a longer cable for it from Ebay so you can set it 15 feet away. Muzzle blast really affects it. If you are getting false readings (especially low readings), it's too close.

I don't use the screens and I don't use the metal rods. I got some 1/8 wood dowels from Home Depot and stick them into the holes for the metal rods. If (when) I shoot the rods, they snap off clean without damaging the Chrony. The screens are a PITA. Without the screens it works fine unless the sun is shining directly overhead into the sensors.

Place your shots 2-4 inches above the Chrony and it works fine. Tape a piece of cardboard so it sticks up 2 inches above the Chrony and then you'll see if your shots are getting too low.

Buy a good, heavy, stable tripod.

For rifle, lay it on the ground and shoot prone over it.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
After using commercial chronographs since 1969, and having worked for two ammunition companies I'll flatout state; BUY AN OEHLER !

And so it goes...

Rclark

Hunter
The screens are a PITA.
Curious why? Easy to put together and set on the rods. Rods are so far apart I am not sure how you'd be able to hit them unless you deliberately aim at them.

5of7

Hunter
I have ben using a Pact model 1 for about 25 years and have never had a problem. It is not as compact as the Chrony, but I am lucky enough that I have a pole barn at the family range, so it is always set up and ready to use. I had a Chrony before I got the pact, and never had a problem with it either.

There are a number of compact Chronographs available today and I strongly encourage any handloader to buy one and check his handloads for velocity and consistency before settling on a go-to load for his gun. 8)

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
TitanX said:
Where does a person check their handloads?

Where I live, you can't fire a gun unless it's at a club range, and at every club range I know of, the only things that can be downrange are approved target frames.
\

As I stated in my original post in this thread, we test our handloads down at our shooting "range" - a local county gravel pit, about 4 miles from our home. :D
It's growing, but most of Idaho (where we live) is still sparsely populated. And the only real public shooting range that I'm aware of around here is clear on the other side of Pocatello, about 35 away. I don't know if they allow shooters to set up chronographs there or not.

Rclark

Hunter
Where does a person check their handloads?
At the gun range. Just setup our target out there, chronograph, and shoot off the bench (either the pistol ranges or the rifle range depending on what you are testing). Also you can always head to the hills and find a place, but the range is a lot more convenient for me.

Here is where I normally setup for revolver. Bring your own targets/stands, whatever. Just cleanup after, and of course no rifle rounds (except 22) on the pistol range. Some idiots still do (wish we could catch) as we find some steel with punch through holes, or big divits. Gotta wonder who these people are :roll: as it would 'seem' common sense not to to shoot the steel. Otherwise, relax, shoot safe, and have fun. As it should be.

ButteGunClubPistolBayFromDoorway_zps300b21f5.jpg

Latest posts