Chemo Treatments

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was talking to Contender last night catching up on some things and telling him about my Brother. He's having a go with chemo treatments and all the meds that go along with it, he is as sick as a dog. I keep seeing him every other day and offer up all kinds of unsolicited advice, easy for me to say cause I'm not going through this and really have no idea just how bad he feels, he looks like hammered chit but he's 74 neither one of looks pretty anymore. I keeping bringing him food, I love to cook and what I do cook for the most part is very healthy food, he keeps telling me he isn't hungry, I keep telling him he's got to eat, he tells me to kiss his ass and leave him alone, I keep telling him of this sliver lining he/we were given about all this.

The first diagnosis he received from the lab after having a skin cancer remove was they traced it back to metastic lung cancer. This news sent him off to the Emory Cancer Center and they started out with a myriad of test and discovered this lung cancer thing was wrong. He has a rare form of leukemia, which turns out to be according to the doctors and technicians 99% curable. The only part they left out was they had to 67.9% kill him to cure him.

Any way Contender was telling me about the battle his Daughter in Law had to fight to win, and Bless her heart and thanks to God she did. This is my first up close encounter with chemo treatment, my heart truly goes out to the folks that have had to go through the battles to come out on the other side.

A side note while I was unable to get back on this forum to I reached out to you folks for some help on moving some class 3 guns, the back story is attached.

https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/31569/class-iii-help

hittman

Staff member
Wishing all the best for your brother and his struggles.

Sometimes folks are impatient when they aren’t feeling well so may be best to not push ….. just listen, sympathize and offer to help.

redhawker

Buckeye
Wish him luck. He can beat it. I good friend of mine had throat cancer recently and went through about 6 months of almost daily chemo and radiation. He showed me the rig they tied him down with while giving him the radiation. It looked like a medieval torture devise. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy but the payoff is he's now cancer free.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
After watching my Dad go though years of cancer treatment, I'm not so sure treatment is always the best thing. In my Dad's case, he would have been better off vacationing for 6 months rather than spending 2 miserable years fighting it.

Mike J

Hunter
Prayers for you & your brother. He is blessed to have you there trying to help him.

contender

Ruger Guru
As I said Jim,, that "C" word is a serious curse word here,, & we hate it. Thankfully, so far,, all of my family members who've had one form or another, (4 of them so far,) are all doing quite well,,, now. My DIL,, still has stuff ahead of her, after (2) rounds with breast cancer,) but she's one heck of a lady & a fighter.
Prayers for your brother Jim,!

A.J.

Single-Sixer
JPGLSG1234 said:
AJ

Did your Dad make through the other side of all his treatments ?

Jim

No; he passed away New Years Eve 2006.

Don't think poorly of me, but the last three days with Dad and all five siblings was kind of a party atmosphere. Inbetween morphine pills, we were laughing and joking with Dad, harassing my little sisters, brothers acting out. Neighbors and friends were stopping by with food. Dad passed just before midnight. There was literally a crowd around him. One brother and I stayed with Dad until the ambulance crew arrived. We helped them carry Dad. Our last act of respect toward a great man.

Oddly enough... Good memories of a terrible time.

SamV

Blackhawk
I wish the best for your brother. It is good that you are there for him, even if he is grumpy. Chemo will end and things will hopefully get better. Like many here on the forum, I have had a loved one go through multiple surgeries, chemo, and radiation. Really is a horrible way to cure you, but sometimes that is what it takes. I hope our young children in the future, will be able to shake their heads in disbelief over the methods used now.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
Hi...
Having been through three different bouts of cancer, I can tell you that surgery, radiation and chemo are all a lot less fun than anybody can imagine.
The scars from surgery are a forever reminder that you see everyday, the effects of radiation treatments linger in some cases for a lifetime and chemotherapy compromises your immune system and is very debilitating, particularly if you are as bit on the older side.
I had a six month course of chemo in 2016 at the age of 62 and have still not recouped my strength or stamina. My oncologist tells me that chemo ages a person 10-15 years... I can tell you I believe her.

Still, after surgeries, an enormous number of radiation treatments(well beyond the supposed lifetime limit) and the harshest chemo treatments available, I am doing pretty well. I have to make allowances for ongoing weakness and lack of stamina, but I can still do most anything I want to, I just need to pace myself.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When my Dad was in the hospital, he kept his head and face covered due to the humiliation he felt. Gave the nurses quite a start at times until they got used to seeing a "corpse" move. But later when getting prepared for radiation, I knew how he felt. There you are, privates exposed to the world! And humiliation is the least of your feelings! Been down the cancer trail myself, and watched my sister and then my nephew slowly die from the disease/treatments. My heart is heavy for all who must endure this.

Bob Wright

375supermag said:
Hi...
Having been through three different bouts of cancer, I can tell you that surgery, radiation and chemo are all a lot less fun than anybody can imagine.
The scars from surgery are a forever reminder that you see everyday, the effects of radiation treatments linger in some cases for a lifetime and chemotherapy compromises your immune system and is very debilitating, particularly if you are as bit on the older side.
I had a six month course of chemo in 2016 at the age of 62 and have still not recouped my strength or stamina. My oncologist tells me that chemo ages a person 10-15 years... I can tell you I believe her.

Still, after surgeries, an enormous number of radiation treatments(well beyond the supposed lifetime limit) and the harshest chemo treatments available, I am doing pretty well. I have to make allowances for ongoing weakness and lack of stamina, but I can still do most anything I want to, I just need to pace myself.

SuperMag your story is one of encouragement thanks for sharing.

Jim

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Prayers for you & your brother. He is blessed to have you there trying to help him.

As I said Jim,, that "C" word is a serious curse word here,, & we hate it. Thankfully, so far,, all of my family members who've had one form or another, (4 of them so far,) are all doing quite well,,, now. My DIL,, still has stuff ahead of her, after (2) rounds with breast cancer,) but she's one heck of a lady & a fighter.
Prayers for your brother Jim,!
Hi,

I've known just enough cancer survivors to believe it's not the automatic death sentence it often was for so many years. But the cure is certainly no walk in the park yet. Call it a bit of gallows humor, but I've told folks more than once there are people I wouln't mind seeing boiled in oil, yet I wouldn't wish cancer on a single one of them.

Rick C

Brother John received what they told him should be his last treatment this past Friday. He is to get a complete scan the 1st of April to see if the cure worked or not. He looks as if he has aged 10 years in just a few months, I keep lying to him saying he looks okay, non the worst for the ware, can't comment here on what he has said back at times. I keep reminding him of the plans we have for later on this spring, summer and coming fall.

I've gone through my two cook books cooking for him every other day. One good note he hasn't lost any weight nor has he suffered from food poisoning.

Again thank you all for your positive thoughts.
Jim

LDM

Blackhawk
My Brother passed from cancer in October, 2017. Surgery, chemo, etc., treatments for over two years. It was an experience that no one should have to endure.

Latest posts