Changing Security Six back to SA/DA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zackary

Bearcat
I looked at a decent Security Six 4" today. The only problem was that it was modified(why?) to shoot DAO. The counter guy said someone had filed of one of the sears on the hammer. The fix would be a new trigger. I have Stainless Speed Six that I love and I could use another Ruger. I'm tempted to field strip mine( easy operation) just to see. Is this guy correct or would some other modification been done to make it DAO? Also, how difficult would it be to locate a trigger. Thank you.

I think that there were a number of DAO security sixes that were modified on request by police or other security guard companies that bought them and had the hammers bobbed

I agree also that finding the parts to restore its function may require a bit of money and/or patience.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
Quote = The counter guy said someone had filed of one of the sears on the hammer. The fix would be a new trigger.

Seems if he filed the hammer, the fix would be a new hammer, not a new trigger.

In any event, both Security Six hammers and triggers are currently available (used) at http://www.gunpartscorp.com.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Part are actually easy to find. E-bay has had second hand hammers almost weekly, I was looking at one the other day. I bought one of the law enfocement DAO models a few years back and paid $35 for an e-bay hammer. I swapped it out in 10 minutes with no fitting required at all and it worked perfectly. Hammer is all you need, usually there was no modification to the trigger at all. The used hammers being sold on ebay are usually from parted out destroyed guns confiscated by law enforcement.

Hugh

Buckeye
Numrich has stainless hammers w/spur for $24.85 right now. They also have triggers. Here are their links for hammer and trigger:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474/Revolvers-40405/SecuritySix-38347.htm?page=4

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474/Revolvers-40405/SecuritySix-38347.htm?page=6

To return it to SA/DA you will have to replace the hammer. The person would have filed off the SA notch on the hammer which would then make it DAO. If anything were filed on the trigger it would probably have rendered it inoperable. Get a new hammer from Gun Parts Corp.

If you pull the hammer out of your Ruger you will see the difference if the gun shop allows you to pull the hammer from the 4" you are thinking of buying. That gun being modified to DAO might be a point in your favor when discussing the price (cost of a new hammer and the time required to fit it).

"You may have trouble finding the parts needed to repair it"
I've bought nearly complete parts sets for Sec 6 revolvers multiple times and wouldn't consider finding more to be a problem. If I could find the correct box, I could return that gun to original in about 15 minutes.