carrying moon clips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cas6969

Buckeye
Moon clipped revolvers sound great until the realities hit.
Awkward to carry and easily bent.

Uncle Mikes makes a soft speed loader case that works and doesn't look as silly as the hard leather HKS pouches.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have thought of buying a 357 carry gun so to not worry about the problems with 9mm revolvers, but i have so much 9mm ammo, right now i have somewhere of a little less than 4000rds. i thought i can sell the 9mm ammo and buy 357 but i'll only have half as much since where i get my ammo 357 is twice the price of 9mm in hollow points. i have until tomorrow or tuesday to decide as the 9mm comes in then. also the 357 lcr is only $419 on sale for Christmas, the 9mm is $469 on sale. each is $20 less than the regular store price. thanks

If you buy the 357 you can practice with 38 special and 38+P rounds. I have an SP101 with a shaved hammer that shoots 357 loads nicely because it's a fairly heavy gun. I chose the LCR in 38(+P) because of how light it is compared the 357 version(aluminum vs steel) and I certainly don't feel under gunned with a 38+P. A 357 LCR is a very versatile choice and still very lighweight.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
thanks, i bought the 9mm. couldn't see selling all my ammo and just getting half back. with 357 being twice the price.

Cal44

Bearcat
A speed strip will work as your only/last reload since it takes time to push the empties out with a rod.

A single 5 shot moon clip fits nicely in one of the old 35 mm film cans -- or a pill vial.

s4s4u

Hunter
Fast reloads are for games, movies and shooting schools. The odds of needing a reload are slim, unless you are a particularly bad shooter and in that case you will probably be shot before you empty your gun. Often just the presentation of a firearm is enough to difuse a situation. A speed strip in the front pants pocket gives me more than enough comfort, just in case. If you are going to enter a situation where you think 10 rounds or more may be necessary, then carry a pistol with a detachable magazine, preferably one with sufficient capacity, or find somewhere else to go. JMHO

csnider

Single-Sixer
Del Fattie Leather makes what is called a PMC for 9mm moon clip carry. I carry my LCR 9mm in one pocket and two PMC's in other pocket. The PMC is easy to grasp and keeps the clean and protected.