Moon Clips from TK Custom?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

With all the small businesses losing customers these days, I wanted to do my best and support the smaller companies. I just ordered and received a TK Customs Moon Clip Loader and a set of 10 moon clips for the Super GP100 in 9mm.

This: https://tkcustom.com/products/accessories/loading-tools/mct-ruger-8-shot-supergp-1019mm-factory

I just got it last night. It seems like it's nicely built and good quality. I ordered the steel/blued moon clips. They seem a lot more sturdy than the 3 flimsy rings which Ruger sent with the revolver.

Question: However, they also seem thicker. Will the extra thickness cause any binding problems? I haven't tried them yet. I'm going to go to the range this weekend. Does anyone else have any experience with this brand of moon clips and loader? I love the idea of the loader. It does save your fingers. :D

I have shot the revolver. In fact, I kept the brass from this gun separate from my other 9mm brass. Being a revolver, it was easier to do. So now, I can build up a supply of brass for this particular gun. I reloaded these cases the other day. I think this will help me in my quest to reload 9mm successfully.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Question: However, they also seem thicker. Will the extra thickness cause any binding problems?
Why are you asking us? You have the answer to the question. Put some fired cases in the clips and see if they bind.

If you don't have any empty brass left, you can do it with live ammo, but of course, be careful. :wink:

You know? I don't know why I didn't try it yet? I did literally get it in the mail last night around 5pm. My mail always comes late I. The day, if we are lucky enough to get it at all. (Not joking...)

Also, let me just say, TK Custom is in Illinois. Yes they are still working. As many people had mouth Illinois Gun Laws, with all the recent stay at home rules in place, the Governor of Illinois deemed Gun and Ammunition businesses as "Essential." Which is a good thing, he didn't have to...

contender

Ruger Guru
When I spoke with the designer of that GP-100 in 9mm,, he told me that they got about a dozen different brands of moon clips & made sure ALL would work in the gun.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Don't use Range Brass. Buy all of one manufacturer. Rim thinkness is different from brand to brand so this will save you a lot of effort.

I only use Winchester brass in my 9mm revolver.

I have about a 100 moon clips on hand for my LCR9mm. Typically load up about 40 of them the night before a range session. TKX are good quality but expensive. I only use them for carry. Ruger brand totally SUCK. Just pure crapola. I buy the Speedbeez in bulk. Nice quality and no problems. Do not get the reloader for the 9mm, so easy to do by hand. The Removal tool is a must and great quality. Easy to remove and they will fall down the channel of the pipe for easy dumping.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
I don't have a 9mm revolver, but I do have a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt/ACP.

As far as the ACP goes, the Ruger moon clips work just fine and are very easy to load and unload. I would use them exclusively if they weren't so expensive. I bought some after market clips and a "center knob" (sorry can't think of the correct name off hand) for a moon clip loader I already had. They work great as well, but the loader/unloaded helps a lot.

I agree that the best way to determine if your moon clips will work is to try them. Take a trip to the range and give it a shot (pardon the puny)!

Best wishes!

ifithitu

Single-Sixer
I laugh at it now,when I first bought my S&W JM 625-8 .45 ACP revolver I didn't know what moon clip was and almost threw them away.Thank god I watched a video and seen what they were used for.Truth! :mrgreen:

grumpy7159

Bearcat
I bought the TK moon clips for my Ruger and have no problems. They are a lot better than the OEM clips from Ruger which have hug up on me.

brutus

Bearcat
Kevin have you shot your super gp100 9mm yet? I was luckily to get one when they first came out. The serial number is 70 on my gun. This is one of the smoothest shooting revolvers I have ever shot. I to have TKcustom moonclips and they definitely are a high quality product.

contender

Ruger Guru
While this is a bit of an older thread,, I'll answer powder smoke's questions.
Due to the lack of a rim on the semi-auto cases,, there isn't anything to support the case when inserted in the cylinder. So, moon clips, as well as half moons were developed for such calibers as .45 acp, 9mm, & .40 S&W most often. There are others as well.
The moons hold the cases by the recessed rim, and you insert the whole thing into the cylinder. Guns built in those calibers,, usually have a wider "gap" at the rear of the cylinder to allow for the thickness spacing of the moon clip. The moon holds the cases snugly,, as well as the cases actually headspacing on the mouth of the case.
Using a moon clipped revolver allows for some FAST reloading when necessary.

In general,, the Rugers NOT already made for moon clips,, will need modifying to be able to use them. Some people shooting competition have had cylinders custom cut to use moons for speed reloading. So, yes,, to use moons, the cylinders do need modification by shaving off some of the rear of the chamber area.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
This: https://tkcustom.com/products/accessories/loading-tools/mct-ruger-8-shot-supergp-1019mm-factory

I just got it last night. It seems like it's nicely built and good quality. I ordered the steel/blued moon clips. They seem a lot more sturdy than the 3 flimsy rings which Ruger sent with the revolver.

[ :D

I use the TK moons and have for some time now. I'm totally impressed and never had a problem. I use .35 thick moons. The .40s were too thick for me to load, unload and even had troubles putting them into the cylinder.

Ask Tom if he has .35s for your gun.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
With all the small businesses losing customers these days, I wanted to do my best and support the smaller companies. I just ordered and received a TK Customs Moon Clip Loader and a set of 10 moon clips for the Super GP100 in 9mm.

Question: However, they also seem thicker. Will the extra thickness cause any binding problems? I haven't tried them yet. I'm going to go to the range this weekend. Does anyone else have any experience with this brand of moon clips and loader? I love the idea of the loader. It does save your fingers. :D

I have shot the revolver. In fact, I kept the brass from this gun separate from my other 9mm brass. Being a revolver, it was easier to do. So now, I can build up a supply of brass for this particular gun. I reloaded these cases the other day. I think this will help me in my quest to reload 9mm successfully.
Kevin, Why did you buy a 9mm revovler instead of a much more verstile and more powerful 357 Mag GP100?

Kevin, Why did you buy a 9mm revovler instead of a much more verstile and more powerful 357 Mag GP100?
Vlavalle:
These are a Ruger Custom Shop special line of GP100, they are really set up for competition. With the 9mm they can get 8 rounds in the cylinder. That wouldn't be possible with .357.

These 9mm GP100's are incredibly accurate and the weight just soaks up any and all recoil.

Besides, I've got other 357 GP100's as well, so why not?

Latest posts