Carrying extra 22 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How do folks carry extra ammo? Not all ruger.
20220321_085530.jpg
20220321_090136.jpg
20220321_085129.jpg
20220321_090253.jpg

Last edited:

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
Extra mags for the bottom feeders and speed loaders for the wheel guns that I have. If I had any that wouldn't accept speed loaders then I guess I would get some speed strips.
Depends on how much "extra" ammo you want to carry.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I used to just put some extra ammo in my pocket.... when we were kids, we'd dump a couple of boxes in our pockets. Sure miss those days of roaming around with my JC Higgins rifle (which I still own :) .

J

hpman66

Hunter
For $0.00 cost, I use empty prescription bottles(60cc to 75cc) with screw-on lids/caps. They hold about 50rds each, are waterproof and shells stay clean in the pocket.

"For $0.00 cost, I use empty prescription bottles(60cc to 75cc) with screw-on lids/caps."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is how I carry loose ammo in the farm pickup, UTV, coat pocket, and even to the back yard range although I use bigger bottles for that. When I open a bulk pack of 22 ammo, I empty it into a resealable bottle labeled with contents.
Back in the 'old days' we often used one of the little coin thingies that opened when squeezed. Downside of that was it still collected pocket lint and only held a couple dozen shells.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Shrug .

In as much as I don't consider .22lr a serious caliber for social purposes , extra ammunition of .22lr is more about being prepared for random hunting opportunity , or unscheduled plinking than life or death fast reloads .

I might carry spare magizine for .22lr bottom feeder , but don't bother with. .22lr speedloaders or strips . Default is coup le 50rd boxes in gun case , or otherwise in vehicle .

Saltcreek

Bearcat
For my NAA I carry a Mini-Altoids tin lined with a piece of adhesive felt to stop any rattle. Very tiny and handy. For a roam in the woods, I use a larger regular Altoids tin that is nice and flat in the pocket and less breakable than the factory plastic box.

Jack Ryan

Blackhawk
I used to just put some extra ammo in my pocket.... when we were kids, we'd dump a couple of boxes in our pockets. Sure miss those days of roaming around with my JC Higgins rifle (which I still own :) .

J
Since I grew up, I use a cloth poke now.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
For range or camp plinking I use these plastic tubes for my tube fed .22's (Remington, Marlin, High Standard, Winchester). Water proof and carry the correct amount of ammo for each rifle. Keep them loaded and they even work with .22 mag. Load up a bunch before heading to the range. You can even arrange them correctly for butt fed or front tube fed magazines.
$19.50.jpg

silverback

Blackhawk
For lever guns;

Spee-D-Loader Spee-D-15 22 Caliber Rimfire Tube Magazine Rifle Ammunition Loader Polymer Clear

For my lcrx : Revison Cv ammo pod.

Othet hand gund extra mag.

I really like the MTM ammo wallets for several different handgun cartridges.
I like the MTM ammo wallet for use with my Contender.

Just seems kind of classy (the idea, not the plastic box!).

"Excuse me, while I retrieve a cartridge for my reload."

I might have to cover my MTM ammo wallet with fine leather, though that might get stained in the event I were to drip some Grey Poupon on it! 😆

Latest posts