CANNOT get the bolt pin back into my MKIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beck

Bearcat
firebirdude said:
So now I've taken my MKIII to the range two times since this teardown. I'm getting misfires like crazy now. Tried it with Federal bulk and CCI mini mags. Misfiring about 1 out of every magazine. Could I have screwed something up during teardown/cleaning? I can't imagine how it would work at all if I installed something incorrectly. But prior to my teardown I had maybe 2 misfires out of thousands of rounds shot. Now I'm getting them every 10-15 rounds.

All clean in the LCI area?

firebirdude

Bearcat
Broke it down again today in an attempt to troubleshoot my misfire problem. Cleaned the heck out of the bolt/firing pin/spring assembly and the loaded chamber indicator area. Had troubles putting th bolt pin back in again, but didn't even remove the barrel this time....
jim52 said:
The key to learning the MK III is to use net resources,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHJm2P4kP0 (this one helped me a lot)
and to field strip it over and over until it becomes second nature.
2:08 was my problem. I knew I had to pull trigger and the hammer had to swing up, but my hammer doesn't move freely. So just pointing the gun up or down does nothing. I had to do the trick shown in the video at 2:08. Push the hammer up, pull the trigger, push it up again.

I'll shoot this weekend and see if I still have misfire problems. Don't think I really did anything though.... :(

firebirdude

Bearcat
Just to let everyone know...

Went to the range today and had zero issues with my MKIII. Shot ~300 rounds through it without a single misfire. So whatever I did during the last disassembly/cleaning, worked. I would assume maybe it had to do with pushing the hammer all the way up? I don't know. Whatever. Works great now. Probably won't break it down again for a LONG time. haha

bowfita

Bearcat
Gotta have pics first, right?

2011_05030002.jpg

2011_05030004.jpg

2011_05030008.jpg

Picked it up 2 weeks ago and tried to not hate the grip. I couldn't believe this gun was so popular. All that mainspring metal against your palm, yuk! But then the trigger was so nice, I wanted to like it. A lot.

So before taking it to the range, I ordered a Pierce grip that another member (God bless you) showed on his new RP. Its the finger grip add-on for 1911's, only a tiny corner piece has to be trimmed by the bolt release button. It has rubber "flanges" that fit under the grip panels with screw holes in the right places. The flanges cover the whole panel with just a sliver showing as you can see in the pic above.

The flanges are probably 1mm thick, so they add 2mm to the width of the grip. WOW! All the difference in the world. I can't feel the main spring against my palm which must be due to the added width plus the finger grooves - it just feels perfect. It makes it a totally different gun imho and I can't wait to shoot it again.

First time out with it today it cycled 300 flawless rounds of Federal 525 bulk pack, 36gr HV. Not a hop, skip or jump of any kind. And I could not believe the lack of muzzle flip with the 5.5" bull barrel. Nada. The gun just pushes against your palm, never felt anything like it. I like my Sig Mosquito (mine actually works quite well with Mini-Mags), but even with the Sport model's extra weight on the front, it has some muzzle flip. This MIII 22/45 RP is a shooter. I'm old and shaky, but free-standing one-handed shooting at 50' I still put most rounds in a 12" circle. You all may find that laughable, but for me, first time out with it...this time it ain't the Indian - its the bow.

One complaint...the magazine does not drop out cleanly, it pops out 1/4" and then you have to pull it out. If anyone has a fix for that I would love to hear it.

All that fun only 4 cents a round. Don't wake me up.