Can My GP100 Trigger Be Like a S&W Trigger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
knuckles":4f1o7vja said:
I have a new Redhawk... and after dry-firing the gun about a thousand times... it has a glass-smooth trigger.

I must have seven or eight hundred to go. Actually, my RH trigger is fine except it takes a truck to pull it. 5.5 # single-action is ridiculous. I have it torn apart right now, as per IOWEGAN'S Gun Guide. And some Brownell's springs.
I love my Smiths. I liked my 4" Python but sold it as I like bigger calibers. Certainly, it had a nice trigger.
Sonnytoo

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
About ten years ago I picked up a 4" stainless GP from an estate with a fantastic DA. Prior to that time A GP was not on my list as my Sixes were quite serviceable. All the widow could tell me was that her husband had sent it off for the action work, but we had no idea who did it. It is at least the equal of anything I have ever handled and perhaps better.

And definitely not for sale at ANY price.

bub

Single-Sixer
Go to the "other" Ruger forum (www.rugerforum.net) and get one of Iowegan's Gun Guides for the Ruger DA revolvers. They give detailed instructions on how to stone and polish the trigger mechanism and everything else for a good, SAFE, DA pull.

I used Iowegan's earlier IBOK (Iowegan's Book Of Knowledge) and slicked up the trigger on both my 4" GP and my 2 1/4" SP. While the GP trigger is still a little heavier and longer than a S&W trigger, mine is SMOOOOOTH!!! I left the factory springs in for reliable ignition since it is used as a SD gun, but I'd bet that, with a good trigger job and reduced springs, you could get real close to a S&W trigger. Nothing will help the longer trigger pull, but there is a LOT you can do about the weight and grittiness.

Bub

Latest posts