Call-Six Gathering in Idaho

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I missed the badger because callshot's missing lessons made me do it! But after I left the water cooled barrels, Sam & I got away on our own & found out they knew callshot was too chicken to come out & be made a fool of. So, they THOUGHT I'd taken a permanent set on how to miss so easily & found out this hillbilly had outfoxed them. Sam & I took out our fair share of those darting buggers. Darting heads & bobbing butts made for some fun shooting!
The dutch oven spuds were great & all of us were too hungry to slow down & take any pictures of them. BUT,,,, the next morning, Dick fattened us up on biscuits & sausage gravy. Yum-yum!

contender

Ruger Guru
A bit of preparation for the ground squirrel safari,,, canyon shooting. Here are a few pics of the canyon, & some of the rocks were were shooing at. The big rock in the back, with the whitish tip was a bit over 400 yds. The closest rock was a bit over 200 yds.

Next, the big overhanging rock over the canyon. I think it was called "Sheep Rock" by the folks on the Oregon Trail,,, but callshot says it has a different name.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Several of the fellas took the opportunity to shoot Kraig's .500, and from where I sat, it looked like a real handful. I decided to pass on it. He brought several other beautiful guns (and his wife who, I hope they won't mind my saying, is also very beautiful).

People can say what they want about Callshot's inability to shoot--at least he knows how to find the squirrels, which happens to be an important step in the squirrel shooting process. Rumor has it he took Kraig and his wife to the Chesterfield ghost town, and then to someplace with "hundreds" of squirrels. That same morning, I went with Sixshot, Contender, and Sam to a nearby area where we saw no more squirrels than I can count on one hand.

In all truth, though, it was a great time. I loved riding with Dick and looking for little varmints to kill, while he told wonderful stories from the local folklore. I learned about characters such as Six-shooter Sal and Ellis "Doc" Kackley, the area's first doctor--real life legends of the old West. It was a priceless experience. I have some relatives from the surrounding towns, but never spent as much time as I'd like up there, and never had a host as hospitable as Steve and Dick.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
callshot said:
As I recall the lessons in missing shots, Tyrone, you learned very well and proved it by missing the only badger seen that day! I promised not to tell anyone, so I figured I'd just tell everyone! Steve. Aka Can'tshoot

I was wondering who missed that Badger.... :wink: In his defense Contender was in all probability still suffering from temporary blindness from the "Ring of Fire" shot!! :)

Thanks for the pictures and stories guys.
Terry

Mr. Badger says "Come Back Any Time" :shock: :wink:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
KWYJIBO said:
Several of the fellas took the opportunity to shoot Kraig's .500, and from where I sat, it looked like a real handful. I decided to pass on it. He brought several other beautiful guns (and his wife who, I hope they won't mind my saying, is also very beautiful).

People can say what they want about Callshot's inability to shoot--at least he knows how to find the squirrels, which happens to be an important step in the squirrel shooting process. Rumor has it he took Kraig and his wife to the Chesterfield ghost town, and then to someplace with "hundreds" of squirrels. That same morning, I went with Sixshot, Contender, and Sam to a nearby area where we saw no more squirrels than I can count on one hand.

In all truth, though, it was a great time. I loved riding with Dick and looking for little varmints to kill, while he told wonderful stories from the local folklore. I learned about characters such as Six-shooter Sal and Ellis "Doc" Kackley, the area's first doctor--real life legends of the old West. It was a priceless experience. I have some relatives from the surrounding towns, but never spent as much time as I'd like up there, and never had a host as hospitable as Steve and Dick.

Thanks Brian - I definitely married up.

I brought way too many guns, there were several that never made it out of the car, but I'm happy that others were able to shoot something that they may not have seen before.

It's true Steve took us to a place with squirrels galore. I lost count of how many we whacked - we stopped shooting to beat the rain to Chesterfield. There certainly wasn't a lack of critters. I'll set the record straight - Steve can shoot. I saw him whack a squirrel with only a 2" window at ~40 yards...

contender

Ruger Guru
I went back the next day to the spot where that badger stuck his nose up at me. He was nowhere to be seen. I actually did draw a sliver of blood off him, but I have no good excuse for my miss. It just wasn't his day.

sixshot

Buckeye
Fellas, I'm down in Arkansas after a week in Raton, New Mexico. From here we go on to South Carolina so its going to be a while before we make it back to Idaho but I can say right now it was a great time, I met a lot of wonderful handgun folks that are welcome to come back anytime. I'll have some photo's up after I get back home, thanks again for everyone who came & also to those who tried to make it but had to back out for personal reasons, hope to see you next time. James for Jersey was a HOOT!! Everytime he whacked a squirrel you'd think it was a Cape Buffalo!

Dick