Bullet weight recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seitz 555

6X45 Custom Mini 14
I will some become the owner of a mini 14 chambered in 6x45. I don't know what twist the barrel is, (assume it is between 7&10). Looking for bullet weight recommendations for those twists. I have 2230, lt 30 & benchmark powders to try and work up a load.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd say call Ruger & politely ask the bullet twist & what weight they recommended. Beats the heck out of guessing.

I did that several years ago with some of my T/C barrels. Made a difference to know what I had.

Johnnu2

Hunter
What is a 6x45...? Don't think I ever heard of that caliber.....(?)
thanks,
J.

NikA

Buckeye
Was 6x45 ever a factory offering? I would think twist rate would be the #1 determining factor here, after figuring out what weights are practical with the cartridge.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I used to use an old man's "technique" to determine barrel twist. I would insert a tight fitting patch (on the end of my cleaning rod) and mark the top of the cleaning rod with a small piece of masking tape (at the handle end). I would count the number of revolutions of that rod as it passed through the entire length of that barrel. If, for example, the rod turned exactly 10 times, and the barrel was a 10" barrel, my math would tell me that I had a barrel with a one in ten (inch) twist.

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Johnnu2,
Larry Poterfield has a video showing what you are describing. Only he does one revolution and a ruler to measure the distance. Not exactly precise, but it will get you in the ballpark.
Larry probably stole the idea from me :)
Never been one for 'precision'..... spent my life striving for mediocrity... , but, yes, it really gets you close enough (for govn't work).:unsure:

Enigma

Hunter
Was 6x45 every a factory offering? I would think twist rate would be the #1 determining factor here, after figuring out what weights are practical with the cartridge.

Not to my knowledge; it was always a wildcat. It was fairly popular back in the 80s, for people who wanted more than .22 bullets out of an AR-15. It's a better hunting cartridge than .223, and allows for slightly heavier bullets. It's popularity has lessened since so many different cartridges are available in the AR-15 these days. Still a good cartridge, and an easy conversion - just a barrel and muzzle device, if needed.

I used to use an old man's "technique" to determine barrel twist. I would insert a tight fitting patch (on the end of my cleaning rod) and mark the top of the cleaning rod with a small piece of masking tape (at the handle end). I would count the number of revolutions of that rod as it passed through the entire length of that barrel. If, for example, the rod turned exactly 10 times, and the barrel was a 10" barrel, my math would tell me that I had a barrel with a one in ten (inch) twist.

J.

With all due respect… I think you'd better revise your description, or else check your math! 😳

The way I figure, you you just described a 1:1 twist barrel. I think the high-speed/low-drag youngsters call that a "fast twist" barrel! 😆

Just ribbing you… I understood where you were going with your description, and appreciate you contributing! 🤠

Last edited:
Back to the OP, we have a 6x45 AR that IIRC has a 1-9 twist. The bullet that worked best for our purposes was the Hornady 87 spire point flat base. I also used Speer 80 grain SSP (single shot pistol) but those didn't give the penetration needed for deer at fairly close range(@ 150-200 yards great but @100 or less they opened up too fast).
Some consideration should be given to case length as our barrel's chamber seems to have a short neck/leade causing some issues with the case mouth having clearance to expand and release the bullet. Cases had to be shortened below minimum given in the reloading manual to accommodate this.

Latest posts