heavy rifle barrel weight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I posted this question on Rimfire Central but thought this might be a more appropriate place for it.
I've been reading an article in OCTOBER 2020 (got it very early for some reason) Shooting Times magazine about the new Ruger 10/22 Competition (heavy barrel) rifle from Ruger's Custom Shop. It raised a question for me about my Ruger Heavy Barrel Target model. They stated in the article that this new Competition model has a rear hold-down bolt/bedding block (at the rear of the receiver). They further stated that it is necessary because they FREE FLOATED the (heavy/short) barrel AND then determined that its weight "stressed the barrel opening of the receiver more than it was designed to handle". My question is: Since many of us have glass bedded and FREE FLOATED our 10/22 HEAVY BARREL Target rifles, would it be prudent to assume we will be stressing our receivers? And, if so, would anyone suggest, perhaps, adding a small 'pressure point' of Acra Glass at the very tip of the forend simply to alleviate stress on our receiver openings???
Thoughts/comments please....
THANKS,
John

recumbent

Buckeye
Or just bed the barrel from receiver forward 2 inches.
I have to wonder how they know what the limit is on the receiver barrel opening stress is? I'm sure
Ruger would not divulge that info.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have to go and check mine maybe tomorrow; I usually bed at least 2 - 4 inches forward with my bolt guns. I believe I did that with my 10/22 HB; and if I remember correctly, it was a bit tricky in assuring I got around that V-block without locking everything up... Gonna check.. maybe I really have it supported better than I think :). That article did get me wondering tho. I does shoot well at 25 and even 50 yds.... did have Brimstone do their top tier trigger work on it... Sweet gun; and pretty as well... has the tan laminate stock.
J.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Tony Kidd from "goodguyguns" has been doing that for several years:
fbwsWwRl.jpg

The idea is to have the receiver bedded much more solidly, rather than just only the one hold down screw. That way the barrel can be completely floated without any "teetering" of the barrel. I've done a few much in the same manner he does and using the rear bedding block that he sells:
Vvi7Cgsl.jpg

BL2sAo0l.jpg

IeosUZyl.jpg

Latest posts