Bullet casting book

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onesureshot

Bearcat
I am thinking about getting into the bullet casting game and was wondering if you fellers could recommend a good book to get me started? I have been handloading for years and have shot cast bullets before, but I would like to learn how to do the casting myself. I did a little looking around and all the books I found seemed to be more about load data than the actual casting process.

Thanks in advance

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
I like the Lyman cast bullet handbook. They come ouit with a new one every couple of years so it stays up to date. Steve

EDK

Single-Sixer
Go over to castboolits.gunloads.com/ and do a lot of reading. Good information AND they have group buys on some moulds you won't find anywhere else.

Landric

Bearcat
Both the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition have some good information on casting, but the best source I have found is the Cast Boolit forum located here:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

I just started casting myself earlier this year. I got a lot of good information from the forum which made me confident enough to get started myself, even though I don't know anyone else who casts.

jforwel

Bearcat
You might also look at gun shows for the Col. Harrison handbook published by the NRA and the RCBS cast bullet book. I picked up an RCBS book at the last gun show for $4. And the previously mentioned Lyman Cast Bullet book. Past issues of Handloader had some great articles on casting too.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

First book I bought was the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Found a brand new copy of the now out of print RCBS book online a couple of years ago. I think there's still a copy that pops up here and there. Also have the Lee "Modern Reloading" book.

If I could only have one, the Lyman is probably the best overall IMO...

There's a wealth of info over at the Castboolits forum. It's not recommended as often, probably cuz a lot of folks don't know what they're all about, but the LASC (Los Angeles Silhouette Club) site has a lot of cast info. Check out www.lasc.us/

Bullet casting for me falls in the same category as I once heard flyfishing described: it takes 30 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master!

Rick C

Cary

Single-Sixer
+1 on what Rick C says.
I have the same books that Rick mentions and would highly recomend all three of them.
Cary

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I need to look into a book too but look at Youtube as there are quite a few very good videos on there that show the process. I have my #2, molds, handles, pots, and propane stove...

The only thing I need is some time to start dropping slugs.

onesureshot

Bearcat
Thanks guys. I have looked at the LASC and joined CastBoolits and done a bunch of reading. I will pick up the Lyman manual in the next week or so and go over it. Kind of funny, but I already have the newest Lyman manual and the newest Lyman handgun manual, and they both have a bunch of pages on casting. I have read both of them when I first got them, and forgot all about the casting info.

Thanks again.

Latest posts