Brimstone Trigger Job

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vh20

Bearcat
I just wanted to pass along something that many of you already know, I'm sure, but I want to give credit where it is due. I recently sent my stock 10/22 trigger group to David at Brimstone Gunsmithing for their "Tier 3" trigger job. The Tier 3 is the least expensive of the three choices for 10/22 trigger jobs they offer. It uses all the stock parts, but they clean them up and polish them to make the trigger smoother, and adjust the pull to whatever weight you specify within a range of about 2.0 - 3.5 lbs. Also, they include an auto-close bolt mod, which allows you to close the locked-open bolt simply by tugging it slightly further back and releasing (thus not requiring manipulation of the factory release lever in front of the trigger guard).

I sent my trigger out on Monday the 10th, all the way about as far as you can get from my home in Alabama to Washington state. I got an email from David on Wed. the 12th saying he got my trigger and to expect a 3 week turn-around. Then, a few days later on Sat. the 15th, imagine my surprise when he emailed me again to say that my trigger was done, and that it came out very nice and right at the 2.75 lb. pull I requested! I received it back on Wed. the 19th, just 9 days from when I shipped it out. I installed it and dry-fired it a few times to get the feel of it. My impression was that it was very nice! Then yesterday I took it out to my range and tried it out. I have to say I couldn't be happier. The stock trigger was so awful that I didn't enjoy shooting the gun. Now the trigger makes the gun so much more fun to shoot. It isn't "perfect," nor do they promise a "perfect" or "competition" trigger for their Tier 3 job. What you get is a two-stage feel, with just a bit of slack in the beginning, then you feel the contact with the sear. Then there may be just the tiniest bit of creep (but smooth, and no grit) before a very light, crisp break. In other words, an excellent trigger for an all-around, field gun. My groups improved considerably at all ranges, and I can say that any remaining deficiencies in accuracy cannot be blamed on the trigger. I am very impressed, and very glad I made this choice. The best part is that they only charge 35 bucks (plus 5 for return shipping), which I feel is an outstanding value for a guy like me who just wants a decent, shootable trigger in his 10/22, doesn't need a competition trigger, and doesn't want to spend a fortune.

If you are looking for something similar, I can heartily recommend Brimstone's Tier 3 job.

Midnightrambler

Bearcat
David is truly a real craftsman and he is gaining a well deserved reputation amonst 10/22 owners as one of the best gunsmiths to have trigger work completed ontime. I had him perform a tier 2 job on my Walmart 10/22 rifle earlier this year and the work was excellent. In fact, I had to relearn how to shoot the thing, I had to keep telling myself not to mash down on the trigger like I had been used to doing. It took me awhile but once I got some practice in it has been well worth it.
Now my "Wallyworld special" is one of my favorites to take to the range. This young man just really enjoys his work and it shows.
It is a real change of pace to get quality work and service at an affordable price.
Enjoy your 10/22!

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
The trigger group for my 10/22TD is shipping out tomorrow. Looking forward to shooting the rifle with a decent trigger.

I think I will send my TD trigger group in for a try. Usually I have used Volquartsen parts plus I have one KIDD replacement group. Probably go for the tier 3 since that is about what a Volquartsen hammer cost. Thanks for posting this info.

Montelores

Buckeye
Thanks very much for posting this.

I was just about to ask on the forum for recommendations for just this service.

http://www.brimstonegunsmithing.com/

If anyone can offer a back-to-back comparison of the Tier 3 and Tier 2 performance, I would appreciate it.

And to repeat what was already stated - the OP is very clear and well composed. Thanks for sharing.

Best to all -

Monty