Box Elder Burl.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
I've always liked Box Elder Burl for 1911 grips and I got to wondering what they'd look like on a single action so this past week I made some.

I like the look.

Black, Grey and Gold Box Elder Burl.

I fit them to that other frame but here they are on my single six.

contender

Ruger Guru
WOW! I'd love to see a set like that on a stainless gun!
VERY NICE.
I'd love to find some wood like that to make me a set.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
They're beautiful! Nice workmanship too. I'm not familiar with this species of wood. What can you tell us about it?

LSCG

Buckeye
KWYJIBO said:
They're beautiful! Nice workmanship too. I'm not familiar with this species of wood. What can you tell us about it?

thank you very much!

box elder burl is a blond/gold colored wood very similar to maple burl( in fact it is in the maple family if I remember correctly) and it was dyed black when it was stabilized. on my site I have pics of 7 or 8 sets I've done for 1911's in some different colors.

LSCG

Buckeye
CMH said:
Love the grips.............. ever do anything in a full figured "TEXAS" mesquite burl for a ruger bisley?? ") ;)

thank you!

I just got about 40 pounds of mesquite burl yesterday, it's all too big for my bandsaw so i'll have to cut it up the old fashion way :lol:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Very nice work.
Is there a way to stabilize wood in the home workshop? I need to do some research and learn about the process.
WAY COOL GRIPS PARD !!!

cmacrph

Bearcat
LSCG,
Beautiful work and excellent craftsmanship as usual. I can't tell you how many complements I have gotten on my grips you made for me with the Black Walnut Burl. When I get a better quality lens, I will post some photos for other "Ruger Folks" to see.
Hope all is well with you and yours,
cmacrph

Shadow

Single-Sixer
LSCG ........... you are correct. Box Elder is a species of the maple family native to North America and is sometimes referred to as box elder maple. It takes multiple colored dyes beautifully. The black dyed box elder grips in the pic are exceptionally well done, and I think they'd complement a SS gun even more dramatically. The pix of your grips in this thread should give you good exposure and bring you some new well earned business.
Shadow

Latest posts