Bowen tuned Ruger Redhawk .45acp/.45 Colt update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
I posted here some time back about my Redhawk convertible .45acp/.45 Colt. It had a hitch in the action that would lock it up every 10th (approximately) trigger pull. It also would not dissemble properly, the plunger appeared stuck. I sent it to Hamilton Bowen for his Redhawk package. He wisely sent it back to the Mothership for remediation before performing his magic. He performed his action job, added his extended firing pin for reliability, a custom patridge front sight, his target rear sight. I also asked for his black powder chamfer on the cylinder for aesthetics. As usual, Hamilton didn't disappoint. I've been shooting factory .45acp and accuracy as expected has been ok. Steel plates were not safe but paper groups were nothing special. I finally assembled some .45 Colt hand loads this morning to see what she could do for real accuracy. 255 LSWC over 9 grains of Universal with a CCI LPP in G.F.L./Fiocchi brass. Judging by this first attempt (barely roll crimped brass due to unfamiliarity with Lee dies) I'd say she's got serious potential. 6 shot groups over a sandbag are 1.5" to 1.75" at 15 yards and 2.6" at 25 yards with 5 of 6 in 1.5". The bullseye targets are 15 yards and the silhouette is 25. Going offhand, I fired a round at a 50 yard 16" gong and missed, moved in to 40 yards and hit 5 out of 5. Imagine when I find a load she likes! I really love this beast. The 9 grain load has some snap, and I might try dropping to 8 grains since I'm mostly paper punching and steel banging. I'm also going to try lighter bullets as well as some T Rex loads just for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
I dropped down 1 grain to 8 grains Universal and accuracy was not as good. At 15 yards, horizontal was great but vertical stretched a bit. At 25 yards it opened a bit. It could certainly be the loose nut behind the gun. I saved the last 7 shots for the 16" gong at 38 yards standing and it did not miss. Further development to follow but that 9 grain load is accurate so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 81

Enigma

Hunter
I had the pleasure of spending a week with him at his gunsmithing course in Troy, NC 20 years ago. Jack Weigand was there as well. Great guys.

My youngest son had his wedding rehearsal in the late Dr. John Bowen's ante-bellum home, back in 2009. We were able to spend some time shooting a couple of Hamilton's guns, a Colt New Service Target Model, and his MP-40 SMG. Both of the Bowens are/were the consummate southern gentlemen.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I dropped down 1 grain to 8 grains Universal and accuracy was not as good. At 15 yards, horizontal was great but vertical stretched a bit. At 25 yards it opened a bit. It could certainly be the loose nut behind the gun. I saved the last 7 shots for the 16" gong at 38 yards standing and it did not miss. Further development to follow but that 9 grain load is accurate so far.
Nice!
How long ago was the work done & what was the turn-around time?
I'm thinking of sending them my .41 for a mod & was wondering what the actual amount of time was that actual customers have experienced.

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
I have a 357 RH Mr Clements cut down to 4", tuned and shaved down the grip…must be 15 years ago now. Love the hell out of this gun. Even though it's got some dings from riding along fishing and camping over the years. Didn't like the trigger till I got it back and he really reduced the stacking. Took my son in college and couple of his friends fishing at Lake Lanier. One particularly obnoxious rich kid was busting my balls about the 6 shot Redhawk on my belt. His daddy bought him a very nice custom 1911 from some big maker. "4 big ones" is what I heard. I didn't like his safety skills so I took the mags and locked them in the cabin. Daddy neglected to tell him one thing though. If you're boat fishing or horseback riding or even just hiking, secure your firearm with a lanyard. You see where this is going. Twirling the 1911 around on his finger then "crash", "plunk", "dunk", "splash"! We went back to get his own boat to go looking for it. Wished him luck and made him a nice braided rawhide lanyard

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Try the Lee 300 grain grain rf with 24 grains of H110. That shoots well out of mine and is an absolute thumper, the cases come right out but I consider it THE maximum charge good for 1220 fps in your exact pistol but powder charge and velocity may differ. Mine actually drop out of the mold and with a gas check at 315 grains. Its accurate from my #5032.

Latest posts