Bought new to me SP101 9MM today, alot of questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryg

Bearcat
Well its been awhile since I been here, but I have slowly been consolidating all my guns to 9MM. I bought a Ruger SR 9 (Best Auto out there, I think anyway) and today I bit the bullet and sold my Smith Model 36 and bought a Ruger SP 101 9MM on Gunbroker, it cost me a small fortune but I had to have one, Hope I ain't crazy. But anyway love this site and love Rugers. I carry the Keltec PF9 and soon will trade off with my new SP 101. Thanks :)

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Welcome to the club. I've got both the 2" and 3" 9mm SP101s. The extra cost for the gun can be recouped fairly quickly with the lower cost of 9mm ammo.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Very happy to hear you got an sp101 in 9MM You and I had PMd a few time during the summer, with regards to Ruger Parts shipment issues. Not sure if you remember me.
I just picked one up in the 2 1/4" version about 2 weeks ago. Did some polishing internally, a good exterior polish, lighter hammer spring and trigger return spring, and a meprolite nite site on the front. WOW I love shooting this gun. Had the chance to buy a 3 inch one from the same seller for a great price, but couldnt swing the cost of both guns. Did you buy yours on GB for $825?
Tom

32magfan

Blackhawk
I picked up a 3" 9mm SP101 from a fellow RF member this week for $635 FTF. It is used but not hurt at all with 8 moon-clips. The box is not orginal but I really just wanted another rare Ruger. Thanks to Matt for a good deal. :mrgreen:

I might get it out shooting this Saturday... :wink:

Thanks,

32Magfan

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
32magfan said:
I picked up a 3" 9mm SP101 from a fellow RF member this week for $635 FTF. It is used but not hurt at all with 8 moon-clips. The box is not orginal but I really just wanted another rare Ruger. Thanks to Matt for a good deal. :mrgreen:

I might get it out shooting this Saturday... :wink:

Thanks,
That is a very good deal for a 3 inch gun. I paid $660 shipped for my 2 1/4" gun with a pack of moon clips and a ruger gray box, also non original. I could have had a 3" from the same seller for the same price. Couldnt afford both. Seller listed it on G/B and it sold this week for $776+ shipping. Enjoy your new purchase.
TJ
32Magfan

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Obviously 9 mm SP-101's are bringing premium prices these days now that they are no longer in production. Back when they were factory standard models apparently sales were slow enough that Ruger discontinued them, as did S&W with their 9 mm revolvers. Companies don't stop making products that sell well.

However, now that 9 mm ammo has become far more accepted and has a huge cost saving compared to almost anything except .22LR, if this would be a good time to put the 9 mm revolver back into production.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
NICE!!
I used to have one of each & they were both great guns..
The 3 1/16" shot better but the 2 1/4" carried better..
Share some pictures of the "NEW" 9mm Ruger SP101..

caryg

Bearcat
Yes I am the one who paid 825.00 on gunbroker, kinda ashamed to say so, but dang I wanted one of these guns, been looking along time and really wanted one with a hammer, unlike the Smith. I probably paid way to much but you only live once. I found one in Kansas from a dealer new in box, He want's 1500.00 which sounds real absurb to me , as long as Momma isn't to upset with me, its all ok, had to sell 2 Smiths to buy this. As soon as I get it I will post pictures, Thanks

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Caryg, why be ashamed....someone else was just one bid behind you :lol: :lol: :lol: no it wasn't me...

I would need to have a full time "ashamed department" if I let spending a little more than I wanted to get a gun I really want bother me :!: :!: :!: congrats on the "new" RUGER...I hope you enjoy it....RR.

PS maybe I will post a few pics of one that almost made me think about it.....well I said almost... :wink: :wink: :wink:

caryg

Bearcat
Thanks for the sympathy, I have never shot a 9MM revolver and have heard the recoil is stiffer than a 38 special, I can't imagine a SP being so heavy and built like a tank to be a problem with this round even the + P ? Also do you actually need the rings to shoot in it or are they primarly for removal of the casings? I have done alot of studying on this gun but have heard everything from the rings must be used to you don't have to. Also last question, I have read these guns were made for one year, and also several years, anybody know about this? Thanks

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
caryg said:
Yes I am the one who paid 825.00 on gunbroker, kinda ashamed to say so, but dang I wanted one of these guns, been looking along time and really wanted one with a hammer, unlike the Smith. I probably paid way to much but you only live once. I found one in Kansas from a dealer new in box, He want's 1500.00 which sounds real absurb to me , as long as Momma isn't to upset with me, its all ok, had to sell 2 Smiths to buy this. As soon as I get it I will post pictures, Thanks
Why would anyone be ashamed to say they bought a gun for too high a price. I dont think any price is too high , if you want the gun. Hey I've got quite a few that I know i paid a high price for. I wanted them. I think life is too short to give it a second thought. ENJOY that SP101
TJ

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Your gonna love it & the 9mm in the SP101 is hard to beat..
3 1/16" 9mm, 2 1/4" DAO 9mm & 2 1/4" 38spl SPNY
rugersp101s6se.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
A 9mm para has a slight tapered case & it's case is slightly larger in diameter than a 38spl
Roll one on the table & you'll see that I'm right about this or look up the specs
I've had 6 9mm revolvers, 2 SP101s, 2 S&W 940s, 1 hybred 942 Airweight & a 547..
They are so cheap to feed 9mm that if you were to reload for it 9mm para would be the way to go IMO.
One of my 940s I had reamed to 38 Super & it would still shoot 9mm fine afterwards JFYI..

I'm not saying a 38Spl cut down wouldn't shoot in a 9mm revolver because it probobly would but I never tried it, I did hear of guys shooting .380 but with what that stuff cost why would you want too? It's also slightly smaller? + 2mm shorter But if the moon clip was holding it I suppose anything is possible..

Three 9mm S&Ws M547 & 2 M940s
9mmrevolvers.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
And here's a 642 Airweight Smith that I fit a 940 9mm cylinder into creating a 942 which S&W only made one of..
The Recoil was severe but manageable, The fitting of the new cylinder to the old hand was the trick so that it could then be convertible..
Man I Love 9mm Revolvers
942w.jpg

9x19

Hunter
Great little revo's... just a shame nobody wanted one when they were actually in production... but like the lady once sang: Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone... :D

RSP101-9.jpg

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I love my two 9mm SP101s so much that I hope that they don't put them back into production so that mine don't go down in value.