Bought a new flashlight for home...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Blackmore":2feo67ow said:
Blackmore":2feo67ow said:
I picked up an LED upgrade for my 3 D cell MagLite. A noticeable increase in brightness over the stock bulb. However, in an outdoor test last night, the LED upgrade for my Surefire G2 kicked its butt big time. That G2 upgrade is from Personal Protection Consultants - their R2 290 Lumen LED upgrade. Don't look at it directly or it will burn a hole to the back of your skull.

gatorhugger":2feo67ow said:
...but let's stop
short saying how much better a light they throw than a big maglight.
It's simply not true.

You're welcome to join me some night in my backyard to repeat my test :mrgreen:

That's ok. Why don't you post a Video of the two head to head. I would love to see it. Of course it is also apples and oranges.
A 3D maglight is fraction of the price of your Surefire.

This thread started out as the best home light for the MONEY.
Then Conrad said best carry light for the money. I can understand that.
It is possibly true.
Now we have moved onto the best light period with cost not even in the equation? You are comparing Surefires with Maglights?

I will stick to my original statement, for a $18 HOME light, something to be shined in a dark backyard to check out a noise, it's hard to beat a 3D Maglight.
Find another $20 flashlight and match it against the Maglight, that I would like to see.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
gatorhugger":3bxgmk3h said:
I will stick to my original statement, for a $18 HOME light, something to be shined in a dark backyard to check out a noise, it's hard to beat a 3D Maglight.
Find another $20 flashlight and match it against the Maglight, that I would like to see.
If we are speaking about light output in a $20.00 light, I find the Coleman 2AA light a better choice for investigating things that go bump in the night.
As I said earlier, the Maglite might throw it's hotspot a little further, but it has limited spill light. The Coleman will throw pretty far and produce more overall light, especially on things in your peripheral. The Maglite would make a better impact weapon, but then the filament will probably break and you would be in the dark.
Just to clarify, the Coleman lights use a 3 watt Cree LED; these are true 100+ lumen lights. Maglite rates it 3D light at 76 lumens for the standard and 82.5 for their "Ultimate Upgrade" version. BTW: the 3C light I used in my video above is rated the same as the 3D Mag in regards to output.
Regards,
Greg

ConradM

Blackhawk
I should probably clarify my thread title.... When I said, "for home" I meant as opposed to work. Since I have a separate light for work. Actually I've also started carrying the coleman to work too. :lol:

Richbaker

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":2l72y950 said:
Seems like a good light. I like it.
But these small guys are not the same as a 3 D cell Maglight.
Take one in your front yard and compare it shining it down the street.
The maglight will blow away a small LED.
So yes a coleman max may be better than a MINI mag.
It's Not better than a big 3 D cell maglight.

Here is a guy trying to compare his Surefire with the big maglights.
I could tell which one was the maglight instantly.
It was the one with the freaking blinding beam of light!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUI9yS-A ... re=related

You're comparing apples to watermelons there...... the only fair comparison is the coleman to the mini-maglite, and then there is NO comprison.... the minimaglite sucks! I no longer buy mini-mags due this.

welder

Buckeye
Thanks again Conrad. I went in to my local W-M and found all the Coleman lights. I had no idea they were this good and priced this low. I plan on getting several to give for Christmas gifts and a few more for me. I could have six for what I gave for the one Surefire I bought last spring.

ConradM

Blackhawk
welder":3sy0259o said:
Thanks again Conrad. I went in to my local W-M and found all the Coleman lights. I had no idea they were this good and priced this low. I plan on getting several to give for Christmas gifts and a few more for me. I could have six for what I gave for the one Surefire I bought last spring.

:lol: I think I might get a few more for the cars.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Not to be a stick in the mud, I went and got the Coleman 115 lums light for $24.00 Its Ok but not even close to my Surefire G-2 $32. I live out always and if you go out in the dark there is a big difference between the two. The batteries for my Surefire are $1.25 each so about the same as 3 AAA. But AAA are easy to get on the fly. The Coleman's are good lights but not as good as a Surefire. The Coleman will work ok for room clearing but for outside I want the Surefire. But to each their own and their own needs.

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
I won a Pelican M6 as a door prize years ago. I found that it is the perfect size for cheap scope mounts and use it as rail mounted light. 74 lumens and in my 1440 sq. ft. house that's enough to light up the whole house.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Vecco":1qrm4mq9 said:
Not to be a stick in the mud, I went and got the Coleman 115 lums light for $24.00 Its Ok but not even close to my Surefire G-2 $32.

Their website says the G-2 is $69, not $32. The runtime is only 3 hours VS the Coleman's 8 hours, and of course the batteries are an issue as well. It's a rare CR123A that costs $1.25, especially if you need to buy them at a local pharmacy ... then they're probably closer to $5 each.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

No big deal ... just that I couldn't find your prices anywhere.

REV

Vecco

Single-Sixer
revhigh":16bssecd said:
Vecco":16bssecd said:
Not to be a stick in the mud, I went and got the Coleman 115 lums light for $24.00 Its Ok but not even close to my Surefire G-2 $32.

Their website says the G-2 is $69, not $32. The runtime is only 3 hours VS the Coleman's 8 hours, and of course the batteries are an issue as well. It's a rare CR123A that costs $1.25, especially if you need to buy them at a local pharmacy ... then they're probably closer to $5 each.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

No big deal ... just that I couldn't find your prices anywhere.

REV

I have found the batteries very easy to get and are as low as 1.25 each in a pack of 20. Also the G-2 was 32.00 at 5.11, seem they only carry 3 flash lights now? I do agree on the shorter battery life but that is made up by longer storage life. So if it sits for 5 years unused it SHOULD work for the 3 hours. I am not selling one over the other, but the performance difference is Hugh when the coast difference is not.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Nitrolon

65 lums MUCH MUCH brighter the my 115 lums Colman 39.00

http://www.surefire.com/12-Pack-Batteries

Batteries 10 year shelf life 1.75 each. You can find them at gun shows for less.

Again to each there own for the own needs and reasons... I will try to take a pic at night of the 2, there not even close.

Before you say it YES the G-2 is not led, but it out performs the Colman Led

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ah, yes, my link is for the Surefire LED, which is $69. I have no doubt that the $39 one can be gotten for $32. It would be a good comparison if you could get a decent pic at night shining on a shed in the distance or something like that. I also saw the 115 lumen one at Walmart and considered getting it, but didn't end up getting either LOL.

Looking forward to some pics if you can get them.

Also, lumens aren't everything depending on your intended usage, as you well know. Even the Coleman would probably work just fine in a house or at shorter distances. That may be a decent tradeoff for that battery life if that matters to you. :D

REV

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Colman 115 lumes 20 feet
2009_11170010.jpg

G-2 20 Feet
2009_11170011.jpg

Colman 25 feet
2009_11170008.jpg

G-2 25 feet
2009_11170009.jpg

Again to each their own, my only point was for the 6 dollar difference the G-2 is a much brighter light.

Cholo

Staff member
Vecco, are you using the Coleman with a filter on?

I like lights that use the CR123A batteries if they're LED's. The batteries last for years, if not used, and I've never had one leak. The battery life drop off is sudden, but not without warning. Just carry a couple extras if needed and buy a bunch of them at a time. Shelf life of a lithium battery is 8-10 years! I like my AAA lights too. When the light is noticably dimished I'll just change them. I own both. I won't own a conventional bulb light ever again. The heat warps the lens if used for extended periods of time.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Vecco, not sure what coleman you're using but mine is WAY brighter than that. Bad comparison IMO.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
ConradM":h36923xo said:
Vecco, not sure what coleman you're using but mine is WAY brighter than that. Bad comparison IMO.

Colman from wal-mart like you said, LED 3 AAA. Only difference is they had the 85 Lumes and the 115 Lumes. Same flashlight so I went with the 115. Again I am not making a big deal out of this. Was just saying the $32.00 G-2 is a better light for my use.

Vecco

Single-Sixer
Cholo":2s2vjkiu said:

The heat warps the lens if used for extended periods of time.

No filter on it. I know the G-2 can warp the lens, it puts off some heat but it has to be on for awhile before that will happen.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Vecco":1wbf92yp said:
Cholo":1wbf92yp said:

The heat warps the lens if used for extended periods of time.

No filter on it. I know the G-2 can warp the lens, it puts off some heat but it has to be on for awhile before that will happen.

Hmm, well you're doing something wrong and or it's obviously not the same light because it's green. :lol:

Latest posts