Bought a new flashlight for home...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I bought one of these today, less than $20 out the door. It's probably the best light for its size and $ on the market. It has a nice bright white spot and will now be my workbench/garage light. I never would have thought of buying it if you didn't post about it.

I don't like the recessed on/off button at all though. I have a difficult time turning it on with my thumb. XL-XXL hands might be the problem, but my boy said it wasn't easy for him either. Also, it doesn't have a momentary capability when you lightly press to go button. It's either on or it's off with a click. I like the go button to be either flush or raised above the back of the light.

Conrad, I did a short net search on flashlights and in their description part was this: "Coast recommends NOT using rechargeable batteries. Output and runtime will be greatly reduced." They're the same basic concept as this Coleman. ArmedinAZ said the same thing. Just FWIW.

The bottom line is you can't find a brighter light for the $ out there so for me it's a best buy. It seems well made to boot. It wouldn't be my 1st choice in a tactical light because of the on/off button.

Is it possible for one of the Mods to put this in The Lounge or somewhere else instead of the Ruger Semiauto Pistols forum? I had to do a search to find it. Every gun owner needs a good light near his weapon of choice.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Cholo":tbkuwhq1 said:
I bought one of these today, less than $20 out the door. It's probably the best light for its size and $ on the market. It has a nice bright white spot and will now be my workbench/garage light. I never would have thought of buying it if you didn't post about it.

I don't like the recessed on/off button at all though. I have a difficult time turning it on with my thumb. XL-XXL hands might be the problem, but my boy said it wasn't easy for him either. Also, it doesn't have a momentary capability when you lightly press to go button. It's either on or it's off with a click. I like the go button to be either flush or raised above the back of the light.

Conrad, I did a short net search on flashlights and in their description part was this: "Coast recommends NOT using rechargeable batteries. Output and runtime will be greatly reduced." They're the same basic concept as this Coleman. ArmedinAZ said the same thing. Just FWIW.

The bottom line is you can't find a brighter light for the $ out there so for me it's a best buy. It seems well made to boot. It wouldn't be my 1st choice in a tactical light because of the on/off button.

Is it possible for one of the Mods to put this in The Lounge or somewhere else instead of the Ruger Semiauto Pistols forum? I had to do a search to find it. Every gun owner needs a good light near his weapon of choice.

So glad people agree that this is an awesome budget light! I tried the rechargeables and they lasted all of a day. :( Guess I'll be picking up a pack of AAA's :lol:

I get what you're saying about the button, is a little hard to get to. But it is nice if you need to use the light as a temporary lamp.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Nice light!
Another excellent WalMart light is the Coleman Max 2AA. Mine has been a great performer. I like it much more than my old Surefire 8X (similar brightness brightness/throw levels, but the LED produces a much whiter light).
Here's a review someone did:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=202659
Regards,
Greg
BTW - for size comparison, here's the Max 2AA with a Mini-Mag 2AA (the next light is a 3 AAA, but not a Coleman):
2ivy4g9.jpg

snakespit

Bearcat
gb6491":13fdorm8 said:
Nice light!
Another excellent WalMart light is the Coleman Max 2AA. Mine has been a great performer. I like it much more than my old Surefire 8X (similar brightness brightness/throw levels, but the LED produces a much whiter light).
Here's a review someone did:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=202659
Regards,
Greg
BTW - for size comparison, here's the Max 2AA with a Mini-Mag 2AA (the next light is a 3 AAA, but not a Coleman):
2ivy4g9.jpg

I bet the blue one is the only one made in America :?

Cholo

Staff member
snakespit, so you'd buy what I consider an inferior product simply because it's made in the USA? I wouldn't, but applaud your effort to buy products made here. Geez, even my '80 Harley has forks made in Japan and who knows what else :roll:

snakespit

Bearcat
Cholo you are right. It is your opinion that the mag light is the inferior product. The blue one has passed the test of time. There must be a reason that LEO's carry them.

Glasstream15

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ":yaynohqd said:
ConradM":yaynohqd said:
I bought some NiMh rechargeable AAA's So I should be gtg :D
:

Just be aware that rechargeable AAs are usually 1.2 volts. They do this prevent them from overcharging and ruining electronics. No idea how an LED light will work with them, compare fully charged NiMhs with new alkalines and see if there's a difference in brightness.

Get the LED upgrade bulbs for your Mags :!:

Yeah, NiMH and NiCd rechargeables are nominal 1.2 volt. Throwaway Alkalines are NOMINAL 1.5 volt. BUT alkalines have a very quick drop and under heavy load like a good light will quickly drop to 1.2 volt and then slowly fade. And then you throw them away. And they have a high internal resistance so they have a limited current draw.

NiMH batteries have a very low internal resistance and are capable of much higher discharge rates meaning brighter lights and they also hold their voltage until they are discharged. The ONLY problem with NiMH batteries is self discharge. And the higher the rated capacity in MaH the worse the self discharge problem. So regular rechargeables are NOT suitable for emergency or rarely used flashlights. Alkalines are a potential problem because of leaking and they do not like extreme heat or cold.

So what do you use? Either Sanyo Eneloops, find them at Costco, or web order from Thomas Distributing, a very reliable company. See this link for what you want:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/ ... it8gi3gna7

And battery chargers are important too. WallyWerld chargers are generally not very good. Again Thomas distributing, one of these:

The C9000 is the one I use. Costs a bit but does so much. Also, if you are really interested in flashlights, try out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

All about lights and batteries.

BTW, Surefire Lithium CR123 batteries are available from them for around $2 each. I can't imagine a Surefire light with a $35 battery unles it's a replacement for a rechargeble. Surefires generally use 123s.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
I picked up an LED upgrade for my 3 D cell MagLite. A noticeable increase in brightness over the stock bulb. However, in an outdoor test last night, the LED upgrade for my Surefire G2 kicked its butt big time. That G2 upgrade is from Personal Protection Consultants - their R2 290 Lumen LED upgrade. Don't look at it directly or it will burn a hole to the back of your skull.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Here's a little comparison of the MiniMag and the Coleman Max pictured in the photo I posted earlier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH0KjrLMpPE
The lights are brighter when viewed with the naked eye, but as the camera sees it the Mini is only visible when it sweeps across the motorcycle (best seen after I finally get it focused). This is one of the old, popular, incandescent MiniMags not the new Led version; the Coleman has about twice the run time as it does. For info about the Minimag led performance, here is a good thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=205501
Regards,
Greg

ConradM

Blackhawk
chad.snyder":1v30c4kv said:
Thanks for sharing Conrad. Just picked one up last night. Has to be the brightest light for the money. Thanks again.

No doubt. I just like to hold mine, feels good in my hand. :lol:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Seems like a good light. I like it.
But these small guys are not the same as a 3 D cell Maglight.
Take one in your front yard and compare it shining it down the street.
The maglight will blow away a small LED.
So yes a coleman max may be better than a MINI mag.
It's Not better than a big 3 D cell maglight.

Here is a guy trying to compare his Surefire with the big maglights.
I could tell which one was the maglight instantly.
It was the one with the freaking blinding beam of light!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUI9yS-A ... re=related

ConradM

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":jjd2o0pj said:
Seems like a good light. I like it.
But these small guys are not the same as a 3 D cell Maglight.
Take one in your front yard and compare it shining it down the street.
The maglight will blow away a small LED.
So yes a coleman max may be better than a MINI mag.
It's Not better than a big 3 D cell maglight.

Here is a guy trying to compare his Surefire with the big maglights.
I could tell which one was the maglight instantly.
It was the one with the freaking blinding beam of light!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUI9yS-A ... re=related

But why even compare a small "pocket light" to a big D cell light? They serve completely different roles.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
How do they serve completely different roles?
You bought your small coleman for $18 bucks to be a bedside
light right?
I bought my huge Maglight to be a bedside light for $18 bucks as well.
Seems they have the exact same role, the big Maglight just
does it better.
Now, I am not saying that the small guys don't have their place,
they are much smaller, convenient, easy to handle, but let's stop
short saying how much better a light they throw than a big maglight.
It's simply not true.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
I think you would be surprised by how well the Coleman would hang with a 3 cell Maglite. The Mag will probably throw a little further when focused all the way down but will have very little spill light to the sides. The Coleman, although fixed focus, has good throw and much more usable spill light. I don't have a 3D mag handy, but here's my 3C Mag and the Coleman against a fence about 30 ft away (I tried them on a fence 30 yards away and while both will light it up, my camera cannot capture it):
http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0096d7b4161de8c28f
Regards,
Greg

ConradM

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":1a7hyqb6 said:
light right?
does it better.
It's simply not true.

Wrong, I bought my coleman for a bedside light and to carry. Let's see you walk around with a big mag light on your belt all day.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
ConradM":2urwrc0g said:
gatorhugger":2urwrc0g said:
light right?
does it better.
It's simply not true.

Wrong, I bought my coleman for a bedside light and to carry. Let's see you walk around with a big mag light on your belt all day.

Well you didn't state that originally. The title of your thread is "home"light and it was stated there was not more light thrown for the price. It wasn't stated for carry. Obviously for carry it could very well be the best light for the money.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
Blackmore":5f5acl63 said:
I picked up an LED upgrade for my 3 D cell MagLite. A noticeable increase in brightness over the stock bulb. However, in an outdoor test last night, the LED upgrade for my Surefire G2 kicked its butt big time. That G2 upgrade is from Personal Protection Consultants - their R2 290 Lumen LED upgrade. Don't look at it directly or it will burn a hole to the back of your skull.

gatorhugger":5f5acl63 said:
...but let's stop
It's simply not true.

You're welcome to join me some night in my backyard to repeat my test :mrgreen: