bottom metal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seabeeken

Bearcat
Changed to Boyds stock on the tang safety ruger 77 in 7x57ai. Floorplate barely latches and falls open when fired. Last night, I bedded it in Marine tex gray and moved it back slightly. Easily latches and stays there now. Also replaced the cheesy aluminum trigger guard with a steel unit.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
This turned into a bit more than expected. Had to inlet barrel channel as barrel was touching stock when screws were torqued. Had to inlet rear tang to get safety to move. When rear screw was torqued safety was binding against stock. All ready to be zeroed in.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Good work.... always a PIA when we have to modify stuff, but patience and some thought will sometimes work. It did for you...
The free floated barrel should provide some good accuracy.

J.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
Taking it to the range Monday if all goes well. Cleaned copper out of the barrel today. She is ready

There's no 'happy medium' when it comes to pre-inletted stocks. Make it fit the largest dimension receiver and all the others are sloppy and have unsightly gaps(or require use of bedding compound)? Fit the smallest dimension and require everything else be re-fitted later? Pick a middle ground and hope for the best?
I chased this dilemma during the years when I was doing a lot of work on surplus Mausers(there's a LOT of dimensional variance on those).

Seabeeken

Bearcat
Completed rifle. Ruger M77 Mk1, Krieger 22", 8.5 twist 5R rifled barrel, Timney trigger @ 2#. Hope to go to range tomorrow to zero it. Running a 101 Hammer Hunter at 3314 fps (not max) over N-540. 3 weeks of deer season left to try it out

Attachments

• m77b.JPG
    m77b.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 41

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't know if it's still 'around' but I would use JB bore cleaning compound on barrels that had deteriorated accuracy due to copper fouling. I believe that there may be newer things on the market, but JB worked like magic....I still have several jars stashed away ...Just an FYI :)

J.

Seabeeken

Bearcat
JB is still around but I dont use it. Too messy and hard to get out. I use Iosso bore paste to remove carbon rings and any stubborn carbon in the bore. I remove copper with Wipe Out Patch Out. Works very well and also removes any remaining carbon. I tested Numerous cleaners and narrowed it to just a few that actually worked. Thanks

Seabeeken

Bearcat
I've been impressed with Bore Tech Eliminator as a copper solvent.
It does very well indeed. It just wouldnt remove the hard packed carbon for me. The one bore cleaner I keep and always go back to after trying others in Flitz liquid polish/bore cleaner. It removes the hard packed bore carbon better than anything ive used and use Iosso to removed any carbon ring problems. I clean all that out with Seal1 and use it everywhere else on the firearm. Never rust or wear since using Seal 1. Everyone has their own methods and potions