Blackhawk trigger spring retaining pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
So... the retaining pin that holds the legs of the trigger spring in place on new model blackhawks, with its gnarly grooves in the middle... is it supposed to be removed? I hate the idea of prying the legs of the trigger spring off the retaining pin. But, I don't want to hammer that thing out if it is permanent. Kunhausen diagram shows it out, but without the gnarly grooves that I see on current parts list. Do I put a punch on it and beat hard or is it meant to stay there now?

NikA

Buckeye
It CAN be removed, but there is not really any reason to. It will be far harder to take it out and put it back than to just gently pry on the spring with a slotted screwdriver. The part is available for purchase on its own but is not intended to be removed for regular maintenance once inserted into the grip frame casting.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Thanks for your reply. So, prying off the trigger spring will not warp it in a way that compromises the function and integrity of the firearm?

IF you took this approach, would you pry prior to removing the trigger pin (the small easy going one)

You could flip that... when installing the trigger spring, I suppose you would push the legs back on the retaining pin after inserting the lower trigger pin...

Thanks again, when the retaining pin wouldn't budge I wanted to consult.

contender

Ruger Guru
The legs of the trigger are supposed to be gently lifted up & over the pin. It's simple,, and how it's done at the factory. A slim screwdriver, with a small slot in the blade will make it EASY to do.

Panthera Tigris

Bearcat
Good stuff. The Kunhausen disassembly instructions advise removal of the trigger spring pin, trigger spring retaining pin, and the trigger spring itself. But, as noted, the part referenced in the book isn't grooved. I appreciate the information here to bypass that step.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
To disassemble take the return spring legs off the pin and push out the center pin. If you would like to adjust the trigger return tension this article will help.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Latest posts