Blackhawk rear sight question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
Saw a new Blackhawk at the local candy store today and the rear sight had a Ruger "eagle" molded into the top. The sight also appeared to be steel not aluminum. Heard that the Micro sights are all steel, but are standard Blackhawk rear sights now "upgraded??

flatgate

Hawkeye
359818968.jpg

The "smashed chicken" design is not very attractive....... :roll:

flatgate

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Yep, they are also selling them as replacement units for older NM Blackhawks. I ordered a new sight to replace the ragged out one on the 1995 .45 Blackhawk problem child that I traded for last fall. Was actually pleasantly surprised at the upgrade.

Bearcat
Rarely does a manufacturer upgrade parts like this. The downgrading to save a buck is the norm. Good job Ruger!

A

Anonymous

4306 said:
The "sinkhole"- shrinkage at the emblem is unfortunate.

I recently got a spare rear sight for my Single-Six, same sunk emblem. I didn't notice it was steel instead of aluminum. I'll have to look again.

I thought Micro sights were ancient history with Ruger, and some other company has the contract. Or are they in-house these days?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, I'd say that's definitely an improvement! What's next, half cock notches??? Pretty soon even us picky types won't have anything to complain about. Then what??? :shock:

No idea if it's MIM or cast but it doesn't really matter. I won't buy a S&W with MIM internal parts but a change from a cast aluminum rear sight to a cast or MIM steel rear sight is still an upgrade.

J Miller

Blackhawk
powder smoke,

That shrinkage in the area of the bird is not from stamping. The rear sight is a MIM (Metal Injection Molding) part. Repeat, it is a casting.

MIM is used because it can produce a gazillion identical pieces for CHEEP.

That's why S&W started using the parts.

Joe

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
mhblaw said:
...and better yet, get a Bowen target rear sight. Looks better and gives a better sight picture...IMHO.

I have the Bowen on my SSix .17hmr...very, very nice.