Black SR9, Pictures and peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Whirlwind06

Bearcat
My P89 has a butt load of rounds though it. Don't know how many for sure but I would say 5000 +, at least. The barrel and slide look fine. I know my P89 as a link design similar to the 1911. And SR9 is a cam block, but still, IMO this should not be happening.

revhigh

Hawkeye
It certainly is not good in any mechanical device to have metal to metal contact to the degree that any part of the device is deformed, particularly in a firearm. If it is a firearm, I would definitely not fire that gun until the issue was resolved.

It seems like there are some skeletons escaping from the SR9 closet already.

Let this be fair warning for those who would run right out and buy the new LCD or LCP or whatever it's called.

RugerMarkIII

Bearcat
I think this could be a major disaster if not addressed and fixed by Ruger ASAP. Like I said before, mine only had this slightly, but I only had a couple hundred rounds through it. All SR9 owners need to keep their eyes open and inspect the barrel after each use.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Looks to me like a timing problem. Appears that the slide is allowed to bump the top front portion of the barrel as it goes into it's cycle.

I checked mine and the barrel is able recede and drop down out of the way of the slide before getting hit. When these guns return to battery, that portion of the barrel and the top front part of the slide opening where the two mate sort of slam together for a good lockup and that causes a little flattening type of normal deformation, but the metal that is pushed back in your photos looks to me like the slide is nicking the barrel before it can get out of the way right after firing a round.

airwin

Bearcat
desertrat, I´ve inspected the barrel-lock-mechanism at my P345 and I´ve changed my mind. I think your are right with the timing problem, or there is too less gap as Blackhawk47 mentioned.

Jay1958

Bearcat
I have 800 rounds thru my SR9 and none of the issues that I am seeing pictured here. I will be watching with interest to see if the underlying issue is quickly identified...?

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I checked mine and the barrel is able recede and drop down out of the way of the slide before getting hit.
The dynamics of the slide being cycled by hand and by firing are very different. The surface being peened is the locking surface that holds the slide & barrel together during the initial phase of slide travel, it does not recede before the slide touches it during the firing cycle.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
JohnKSa":o3wcdth2 said:
The dynamics of the slide being cycled by hand and by firing are very different. The surface being peened is the locking surface that holds the slide & barrel together during the initial phase of slide travel, it does not recede before the slide touches it during the firing cycle.

Well, I'm not so sure. The case of the fired round is "pushing" back on the slide and somewhat dragging the barrel with it due to the friction between it and the chamber wall of the barrel in addition to the barrel reacting to the friction of the bullet going in the opposite direction. Other than that, I see very little, if any, difference.

In terms of the location that's getting peened backwards, I would think that actually firing the gun, as opposed the manually cycling it, would promote the clearances between the slide and the barrel at that lock-up point as they both move rearward.

The way that the "peeining" is being formed doesn't indicate to me that it's happening during return to the battery position and lock-up. It looks to me that the metal is being formed upwards and back, not down, like it would be if the lock-up contact were causing it.

jhearne

Buckeye
It can't be from returning to battery....the barrel is getting peined on the front end of the chamber block or w/e the heck we are calling it...this happens when the slide tries to fly backwards, the chamber block is underneath the front end of the slide under recoil, then the slide comes back into place then the guidespring pushes the block back up into place. The metal is being pushed back and up, this happens when you first fire the round...

You fire the round, force is exerted against the slide in the back of the "chamber" if you will. The bullet is expelled from the barrel under a great amount of force, and the gases expanding while the bullet is leaving plus the force from the initial firing causes the slide to move.

Something during that process is keeping the barrel from rocking back and tilting up to allow the slide to pass safely without damage or excessive wear.

And the barrel and slide do not move backwards together, the slide moves back and the barrel drops down about 3/32" to get out of the way of the slide. The camblock holds the barrel from moving backwards and the pin keeps the barrel from allowing the slide to fly off the pistol with the whole top assembly.

Josh

EDIT: Just had one of those duh moments....When you fire the gun, and the slide starts to move, the force is applied against the slide in the back of the chamber, and then transferred to the guidespring....then the guidespring pushes on the barrel rocking it back in the camblock, dropping it out of the way. If there is any problem in the camblock or the pivoting mechanism in the barrel to camblock "joint" there could be serious timing issues. If the barrel was not allowed to pivot the slide would slam into the chamber block and sieze against its slope at some point, rendering the gun useless.

The problem is there not in the barrel hood or chamber block whichever we call it....if it was there we would see problems further up the lines of the block itself as it goes underneath the slide. We just see the issue on the leading edge of the block itself leading me to think its a "timing" issue on the START of the recoil process NOT returning to battery position.

SmokeJumper

Bearcat
And..... the "excuse crew" at Ruger swings into action! "Not to worry. It' will only deform until there is nothing left to deform! Then, it was YOUR FAULT for continuing to fire the gun! After all, "Gums & Ammo" fired 12,000 rounds through the hand-fit one we sent them and THEY didn't experience any issues!"

Warranty VOID due to 'Customer Abuse'. :(

revhigh

Hawkeye
SmokeJumper":19vragst said:
And..... the "excuse crew" at Ruger swings into action!

And yet there are still over 90 people on the poll in another thread who will buy this LSD thing sight unseen, even after experiencing the 345 debacle, and the brewing SR9 disaster. I don't get it, are people THAT desperate for another Ruger auto ??

It makes no sense to buy these poorly designed guns before the bugs are figured out. But hey, every company needs beta testers, and Ruger gets their testers to PAY to do it.

Not testing their guns at all .... nice.

Testing their guns a little ... better.

Getting their customers to PAY to test their guns ... PRICELESS.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Yup, I think I will be waiting until at least October to buy one of these (maybe not even until October 09). It is a shame. At fist the SR9 looked so promising (Compaired to the release of the 345), we saw isolated reports of different problems (Magazine Issue, ), but we did not see a trend.

So Far we have seen reports of
1) Striker retainer Parts fall out (Two or three cases)
2) Rust pitting in various areas on NIB units.
3) Improper Slide/Frame Fit
4) Magazine retention (Magazine release notch)
5) Magazine DC (Has the potential to break the gun)
6) Peening Barrels

Most of these seem to be QC issues (Although #1 could be because of cheap parts) (#4 and #6 could be design flaws) and reports of them have been very isolated. The Peening issues at first seemed to be isolated, but now we are getting several reports of it to different degree's.

I am starting to worry that I was right and Ruger made a whole lot/batch of improperly sized parts, and did not bother to clean up after themselves.

Charlie

revhigh

Hawkeye
What about the nearly impossible mag loading problem that they solved by mailing out an Uplula thing ??? Or the mag problem where the bullet heads are being shaved during feeding. It's ridiculous ... like they didn't see these things happening during testing ?? What the hell is up at Ruger ?? Yet people here still fall all over themselves to buy these 'new releases'. Ruger is damn lucky that their die hard fans don't test out some CZ's or Sigs, because they'd never sell another Ruger auto to those people.

I thought the P-series guns were marginal at best because of average accuracy, but these new guns are worse than the old ones by far. And, rather than go overboard to instill confidence in their products by bending over backwards to fix any problems, Ruger instead tells their customers to bend over.

poncaguy

Bearcat
My pistol smith looked at my SR9, said it was safe to shoot, explained to me what was happening, so I'll keep shooting mine. Will see if Ruger comes up with a solution. Said he'd seen the same thing on a Kahr 9, think that was the model...........

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ponca,

At first, the mag disconnect was causing firing pin fractures from what I remember, which would result in no bang, but just a click. There are a million threads on it, or more .

That's it in a nutshell, you can read all about it. Ruger had literally hundreds of returns. There were other problems as well, but I think they got them pretty much ironed out now.

poncaguy

Bearcat
I never had that problem, "cleaned" the rear sight last summer to make sure that I didn't..........at least on the SR9 they tell you how to remove the mag disconnect if your state doesn't require it.........

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
The other big issue with the early P345's was that if you pulled the trigger with the safety on, it could somehow break the pistol. Something bent easily in the trigger action.

Charlie