Black finish on SR9c's, tough or not so tough?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sideways

Bearcat
Looking for feedback on how the black Nitride finish is holding up. I love the looks of it but does it show holster wear quickly? Or is it tough enough to show almost no wear for quite a while?

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I'm wondering too. The blue/black finish on my P95 is not durable at all. I remember when the SR9 first came out it was advertised as having "blackened stainless". By the time I got around to buying one it was blackened carbon steel so I went with stainless.

Pr0jeCt

Bearcat
Bought my 9c blackened new in 4/11. Wrote my first email about finish issues in 5/11. Sending slide in tomorrow now that i have something else to carry in the mean time.

Sideways

Bearcat
Pr0jeCt said:
Bought my 9c blackened new in 4/11. Wrote my first email about finish issues in 5/11. Sending slide in tomorrow now that i have something else to carry in the mean time.

What kind of finish issues?

Sideways

Bearcat
Thanks for the link Verndog. I was just sitting here Google'ing finish problems.

I just picked up a used black 9c yesterday for a good price. I didn't notice when I was picking it up but I have one chip like that right next to the rear sight. Wonder if Ruger will do anything for me being the second owner.

side note: Your avatar is a little disturbing. :shock:

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
I have a big problem buying any kind of Black Gun (but do own a few).

I want a Stainless Gun that a BG can see so he or she will know I'm not a willing unarmed victim, if and when I might ever have to draw it (which I hope is never).

In hours of darkness, Black Guns disappear from view, and although Black Guns are stealthier, more tactical in appearance, Black Guns don't quite have the same psychological impact as when a BG can EASILY SEE a Gleaming Hunk-O Stainless pointed at him/her.

Haz ps. Believe it or not, Black Guns have higher resale rates & values.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Hazama Yakiba said:
...Black Guns don't quite have the same psychological impact as when a BG can EASILY SEE a Gleaming Hunk-O Stainless pointed at him/her.

Haz....please take your meds. :p

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
OUCH !

The Verndog slashes a deep wound into unsuspecting Haz...the Samurai !

:::Bleeding profusely...Need Medic:::Need More Meds:::More Meds:::

Verndog

Blackhawk
Hazama Yakiba said:
OUCH !

It's just a scratch Haz...you'll be OK. You think that's bad you should see what my little green frog with bright red dots will do. :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Verndog said:
Hazama Yakiba said:
OUCH !

It's just a scratch Haz...you'll be OK. You think that's bad you should see what my little green frog with bright red dots will do. :D

Take a nice long lick of that frog !!

REV

A

Anonymous

Hazama Yakiba said:
I want a Stainless Gun that a BG can see so he or she will know I'm not a willing unarmed victim, if and when I might ever have to draw it (which I hope is never).

Believe it or not, I'm with you on this one.

If I have to draw my weapon, I want everyone to see it. That was the primary reason is went with the KSR9c and not the black, well, that and I enjoy polishing stainless steel.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
If I pull my gun the only thing the BG will see is the flash.

All my defensive guns are black---so far.