bisley or not?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
I am looking at getting a SBH hunter...but can't decide on bisley or not....never shot either one...although i do have a regular NM blackhawk....is there any advantage to the bisley? looking to use it for target and hunting

tom black

Blackhawk
As far as I'm concerned the Bisley grip is by far the best ever made for handling recoil.
Tom Black

Axehandle

Buckeye
Bisley? XR3-Red? MR-3D? FWIW the gunsmiths who build the 475s and 500s will strongly recommend the Bisley grip frame. That won't make it right for you. Much like someone buying you a pair of shoes.. Best bet is to find some to shoot before you buy your own...

BlkHawk73

Hunter
For me, the Bisley is my favorite. Besides the usefulness under recoil, it just feels better for my hands.

maxpress

Buckeye
You will love it or hate it and should handel both before making a decision. A friend and I have SBHs in standard and bisley. I dont like shooting his and he dosnt like shooting mine. Course he has smaller hands so I think that makes a difference.
Its much like the Vaquero grips vs new Vaquero grips. Vaquero grips fit me just right. New Vaquero grips disapear in my hand and the trigger gaurd and hammer try to eat me on recoil. Know alot of people that swear by the new Vaquero.

Zeus

Blackhawk
I have both and to be honest for a 44, I MUCH prefer the standard super blackhawk shaped grip. The hunter is even better for some as the trigger gaurd is rounded and not square. My bigger bore guns like the 475 Linebaugh wear the bisley but I still like the super better personally. i know I'm in the minority on this one but it just rolls the recoil better to me. you really need to shoot both of them and get a good feel for it and make your own decision if at all possible....

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
I wish Ruger would make many more models available in bisley. Would love a stainless 44 mag SBH in bisley but in the 4 5/5" model

captainjack

Bearcat
I can't address the recoil issue because my Ruger Single actions are all 22 cal.I have a Super Single Six and a Bisley single Six. The Bisley just does not feel good in my hand. The regular frame is much more comfortable for me. The Bisley is better looking and that is the only reason I keep it Some day I may part with it. I may be in the minority in this situation. The previous advise to shoot both before you buy is very good.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Honestly, I don't see a huge difference between a Bisley grip and the Hunter grip (I can never remember the "XR-7 Purple-IV-III" numbers). The regular plowhandle/Blackhawk grip, yes, but the Hunter is nearly as long as the Bis, and just has a slight flair at the bottom. It looks to be such a minor difference that I'd really want to handle both before I stated a preference, and I own several Bisley guns.

That said, the Bisley also has a different hammer and trigger shape. The Hunter has a hammer shape that's different than a std Blackhawk, too.

-- Sam

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Bisley grip frame is "crowded up" closer to the receiver. This reduces the perceived recoil due to the shorter distance from the hand to the barrel. The Super Blackhawk/Hunter grip frame puts the hand a bit further from the barrel which can result in a bit more "muzzle whip".

Me? The Bisley wacks my palm whereas the Super Blackhawk style is way more comfortable as long as I can remember to keep my "off hand" out of the way of the trigger guard. The XR3-RED, when made of heavy metals, works quite well for me, as well.

It's a very personal decision and no two folks are alike, IMHO.

flatgate

I don't know about recoil either, as I only have a .22 Bisley. I love it. My hands are big, but I wouldn't say large. Also, I understand what Flatgate is saying about the crowding close to the trigger/barrel, but there is plenty of grip to hang on to.

On the other hand, the Blackhawk grip with my pinkie underneath is pretty comfortable as well.

870ExpressMag

Bearcat
thanks for the replies guys...guess i will have to try and find somebody with the two different styles....should they be in the same caliber as well to really judge apples to apples? also i am sorta new to this stuff, what XR-7 and XR3-Red etc?

c.r.

Single-Sixer
870ExpressMag said:
thanks for the replies guys...guess i will have to try and find somebody with the two different styles....should they be in the same caliber as well to really judge apples to apples? also i am sorta new to this stuff, what XR-7 and XR3-Red etc?

finding a few examples is the best thing you can do. certain style grip frames just don't work for some folks.

here's a link to one of the best write-ups on Ruger's grip frames
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

hope that helps,
c.r.

JT

Bearcat
Bisley for me. I have small hands and the recoil just works better ... straight back push instead of an upward and back whip. YMMV.

dudley do right

Bearcat
I have the bisley sbh hunter in 41 mag. Gun itself is a tack driver, however after shooting less then a box of ammo I could not stand the gun. Why? cause the trigger guard rapped me in the knuckle ever shot. I ordered the standard sbh hunter and love it. I now have an as new bisley just sitting there waiting on a new home. The bisley would have been alright with different grips but other then custom wood grips I could not find anything for it such as hogue or pachmyer. Try and shoot both and see how you get along with it. :mrgreen: