BFR 500 S&W Mag (shaky clip)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Which factory ammo was that?

BFRs are big, heavy guns. Especially the ones with the longer barrels. That makes a big difference when you compare it to a Ruger Blackhawk.

My BFR in 500 JRH recoils more than that with 440 grain bullets and a max charge of H110. You need to load that thing up! Put some 500 grainers in there.

Something like this ought to be a little more brisk:
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=GC500SW500
"Recommended for hunting deer, bear, elk, and bison"

DEER?????

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
The 440 grain Lee is what I have been using in the JRH. Shoots nice. Took some practice to get proficient with it at max loads, though. It was definitely outside my comfort zone for recoil. The JRH gun uses a standard size frame/cylinder though, unlike the 500 S&W, so it's going to be a little lighter. Not sure how much.

I'd be curious to know what the sweet spot for bullet weight is with the 500 S&W. I'd imagine 440 to maybe 500-ish. I know there are 700 grainers for the 500S&W, but I think that's too much of a good thing.

I think Magtech makes some reasonably affordable 400 grain 500S&W factory ammo that has decent punch. Seems like that's what Hickok45 was shooting out of the X-frame Smith in one of his YouTube videos.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Come on gibson go to Ranger Ricks and order you some of the 700gr Tyrannasaurus Thumpers. They aren't bad in my S&W 4" 500. What I like is the look of the 700 gr. Bullet loaded in my short cylinder the holes are completely full of lead out to almost the very end it almost looks fake.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I'll bet the porting is helping with the muzzle flip. The barrel length helps as well. The X-frame Smiths use a comp to cut down on the muzzle flip, too.

I'm interested to see your chrono results when you get around to it.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
Tommy Kelly said:
Come on gibson go to Ranger Ricks and order you some of the 700gr Tyrannasaurus Thumpers. They aren't bad in my S&W 4" 500. What I like is the look of the 700 gr. Bullet loaded in my short cylinder the holes are completely full of lead out to almost the very end it almost looks fake.

I thought Ranger Rick got out of the casting business and sold off his molds in fact I believe White label lubes picked up all of his molds at least the 700gr molds. But I could be wrong

bigboredad

Blackhawk
there are some guys on here that can make you what you need for that big ole horse pistola i believe uncle mikes has a bandolier for you south paws

Revoliver

Bearcat
Hammerdown77 said:
Something like this ought to be a little more brisk:
http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=GC500SW500
"Recommended for hunting deer, bear, elk, and bison"

DEER?????

Someone at grizzly clearly does not know how to spell dinosaur. :p

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Yessir, that's more like it.

Shooting these things at max loads off a bench is definitely a challenge. They come back hard, and if you ease off on your grip a bit (which you are more likely to do when a bag/rest is supporting the gun), things can go sideways in a hurry.

I think that gun would really shine with some slugs in the 500+ grains range. These big half bore cases seem to like lots of lead sitting on top of a case full of powder.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Gibson I had a friend who does leather work make my holsters for my 2 BFR's. He made both in a crossdraw style holster. They work great for me. With both being 7.5" guns I didn't have any retention put on them just open top holsters they hold fine and the crossdraw makes getting the 7.5" barrel out easy even with the stretched frame 45-70. It took me a while to warm up to the long cylinder in that gun but it's needed for the 45-70. The 475 linebaugh looks better to me with the regular sized cylinder. I am a short barreled fan and wish they offered the shorter barrels in the bigger caliber guns. Most of my rugers are 4 5/8" guns to me they just look better and I can shoot them better. I even have several cross draw holsters for the short barrels.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
go to the board index punch the button that says auctions links and recurring items on the list you will find holsters by reuben j cogburn he is a nice gentleman and offered to help me out when I'm ready for a holster he is a member so drop him a pm and see if he can help you out