Best rounds for a SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Uncleman

Bearcat
Hello there- Last night I bought my first Ruger. It's an SP101, model 05719, Stainless with a 3 inch barrel. I'm wondering what the best size rounds are for this revolver. I plan to shoot 38's, +P and 357"s. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I don't shoot 38's. I use 125 gr critical defenses. Recoil is manageable especially out of the SP. Apparently Hornady chose a powder that spreads out the impulse of the recoil so the apparent recoil is less. In the below youtube, some guy tests them out of a 3" GP and gets 484 ft/lbs of energy and 16" of penetration through 4 layers of denim and 10% gel with good expansion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWFbuzX-l8

I also tested these rounds for muzzle flash at night and the muzzle flash was not an issue from 2, 3, or 4" barrels: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193980

6gun

Hunter
SP101 357mag. is designed to shoot 158gr. it will be the most accurate, as for the best rounds thats all opinion and you will get as many answers of whats best as you do people that answer this thread, what ever each person is using is always the best according to them. :lol:

Uncleman

Bearcat
Thanks for the info - I have a few 357's, my favorite is my S&W m19 Combat magnum that really likes 158's. Guess I'll start with them but I generally use 38's or +P at the range - just a little less expensive. Bought a box of Win. 130 gr. 38 specials. I'll probably try them next time at the range and will expect them to shoot a little low. Thank you

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
OP didn't say what the gun was for but I assume a 3" SP is for human self defense. The .357 mag was designed in the 1930's for hunting. It was originally designed with 158 gr cast bullets for hunting. For self defense, 125 gr JHP has been the go to for many more decades than I and most people posting on here have been alive.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Uncleman,
Now's the time to get into reloading, since you got a rugged Ruger SP. The more you shoot, the more you'll like it, and by reloading the cheaper it will get. PLUS, one can put .38Spl, and +P loads into .357 cases, and never need to worry about the crud ring forming in the cylinder chambers.
Am happy for you.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I agree with woodsy. Reloading is the ONLY way to really enjoy your new SP101.
I agree with those who favor the 158 gr. bullet. My SP`s prefer it to any other.

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
My SP shoots about 2" low with 125 gr CD's. It shot about two inches to the left with 158 gr Gold Dots. Of course, when I'm shooting the target in realistic practice, I don't even marginally notice.

I'll let you fill in the obvious point commentary for yourself.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Shoot lots of cheap jacketed ammo both 38special and 357magnum to get the gun broken in. Be sure to clean the carbon ring out of the chambers after shooting 38specials or the magnums might be hard to eject. Any popular self-defense ammo will work good in the SP. Find a round your gun likes and that you can shoot well. :D

BradB

Bearcat
In assumption for "best" rounds say definition is hit the bulls eye easiest, I use standard 38 special. Slow moving, heavy, wadcutter, lead round nose, FMC target, etc,. Good thing is, that gun will handle anything 357 or 38.

357 seems to be harder to find in target ammo at least in my area. But there is plenty of 38+p for defense and normal 38 for target use. I wouldn't feel deficient with any 38 for self protection but there is bigger and better and that gun will handle it.

Uncleman

Bearcat
Thanks all. I hope to get to the range in the next few weeks and will try lots of different loads. It's good to know that this revolver can handle it all.
I should have mentioned that this gun will primarily be for the range and HD. I doubt I'll ever carry it. Thanks again

DonD

Single-Sixer
I have been carrying Buffalo Bore 158gr JHPs. Runs 1320 fps/611 ft lbs out of my 3" SP101. A tad harsh on the recoil end but it does rock. Don

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
We also own a few of those SP-101's here.
The best advice I can offer is for you to try different ammo to see what works for you & your gun. Since range time & HD are your primary uses, get ammo that will do what you wish. Maybe 38 spls for fun at the range & a serious SD ammo for the home. Realize that point of aim, vs point of impact may be different. Learn about both.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If you're just killin' paper, you might try 148 gr WC in a "target" load in either .38 or .357 brass. BIL has the 3" SP, and it's very happy w/ a .357 pushing one of those bullets out at about .38 Spl +P velocities. It's easy to shoot w/ them, too.

Full house .357s are not too much for the gun, but nowhere nearly as pleasant to shoot in it as the lighter loads... my 3" GP is "heavenly" to shoot w/ full house .357s compared to the SP (and I'm NOT gonna say the short GP doesn't get your attention!)

Rick C

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I shoot mostly 158 gr. 357 and 38 spl in my SP101, but it shoots most anything quite well. For PP the Hornady Critical Defense 357 mag 125 gr. are great in SP and LCR357, low muzzle flash and recoil is not objectable. Most 158 gr magnum loads are abusive in LCR, but not too bad in SP101.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
There is no best in this gun.
Just what is needed or what you can hold on to!!!!!
I have shot light 38's up to 357 200gr" Monster Maulers".
Whatever you can take it can...