Best All Around Caliber for Lever Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I have lever rifles in 38/357, 44-40, 44 mag, 45 Colt, (30-30 and 45-70, Winchester 95s in 30-06 & 30-40 Krag).

In pistol calibers, I find the 44 Magnum to be the most versatile of all - it will duplicate the 30-30 ballistics quite well IMO.

My favorite rifle caliber lever rifle is the 45-70 and I have three of those.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
writwing said:
Looking to buy a Henry lever action and would like to get the best all around caliber for home defense, emergency hunting etc. Considering the 357, 44 or 45 since I have revolvers in each caliber already.

I'd go with the .44 (I own one already). Inside the house you can use .44 specials which are subsonic and will not blast your eardrums and outside the .44 magnum is powerful and, if you practice, very accurate (google Elmer Keith, long distance, .44 magnum). You will need to get an Old Model .44 Flat Top with a brass gripframe to match (I have one of these too). Neither is 100% authentic but both look very nice and are very functional.

rtl

Single-Sixer
For home defense and emergency hunting, and that you don't hunt now, I would vote for a Marlin '94 in .357 for ammo versility, availability and price. I have one in .357 and one in .44, between the two if I could only take one for the purposes you listed I would probably go with the .357.

DGW1949

Hunter
writwing said:
Looking to buy a Henry lever action and would like to get the best all around caliber for home defense, emergency hunting etc. Considering the 357, 44 or 45 since I have revolvers in each caliber already.

BTW I do not hunt now.

Most of my "serious" revolver-caliber shooting involves the 45LC cartridge. That is because my personal experience has shown it to be quite accurate, easy to manage, and exhibit more stopping power than it's paper-ballistics suggest, even when loaded to "standard-level" pressures. About the only problem with that that I can foresee for non-reloaders would be having to rely solely on store bought ammo, which is both expensive and somewhat hard to find.

Getting past the above, I've also owned lever-guns in 357 and 44 Mag.
I found the 357 and my carbine's 20" barrel to be a wonderfull combination that actualy approached 30-30 ballistics, but in the end, I kept the 45LC because of two reasons; (1)I was already heavily-invested in .45 cal componants and (2)my personal goal was to have a "go to" rifle and revolver that used interchangable ammo. Not saying that the 357 won't "do" in a revolver because we all know that it certainly will. My personal problem there is that I find a 357 revolver too obnoxious to enjoy shooting on a regular basis and even moreso when using ammo which was developed to ring the most out of my carbine's longer barrel.
My one and only experience with a 44Mag carbine was with one of the early Marlin-'94 rifles. The thing kicked like a mule, was plagued with feeding issues and wasn't nearly as accurate as the Ruger SBH that I also owned at the time. To put that into perspective, a factory 240/44Mag cartridge has about the same recoil energy as a 150/30-06 cartridge. I didn't find that to be much fun out of a skinny, straight-stocked, light weight lever gun, and didn't see much sense in having a long arm which wasn't as accurate as my sidearm.

As far as the uses you plan to put your choice to, either of the three will do. Thing is though, bear in mind that hunting is more about feild craft and shot placement than which rifle you end up picking. That and stopped is stopped and dead is dead. After that, anything else is overkill. Even the "lowly" SAMMI-spec 45LC will shoot clean-through an average sized deer, and will stop most adversary's with a single good hit, so with that in mind, the question becomes just where the line lies between "enough" and "too much" for the circumstances at hand. Maybe you have a need for the biggest-boomer cartridge that you can find, maybe not....I dunno.

Them's my thoughts on the matter. Hope something helped.

DGW

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Using the thread title of "Best All Around Caliber for Lever Action" for self defense I'd make mine a Winchester 88 carbine in 308 with two (or more) 10 round detachable magazines. Going with the Henry though, I'd say you get equal results with the 44 Magnum or 45 Colt so long as handloading or buying Buffalo Bore in the 45 Colt. If it's run of the mill ammo from Walmart I'd say the 44 Magnum works best.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
With all due respect to the 357 magnum, it's absurd to think it's equivalent to the 30-30.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have Marlin 94's in 357 and 44 mag.

The 44 definately hits harder. The 357 is more fun at the range.

This year I took a good sized doe with the 357. It really whacked her.

My vote goes to the 357.

Corbi

Chris

Blackhawk
I have a few of them, I think the 38/357 is the most practical if you are not hand loading. Gets pretty pricey shooting 44 mags if you have to buy them at a retail price

C

pisgah

Buckeye
Bob G said:
With all due respect to the 357 magnum, it's absurd to think it's equivalent to the 30-30.

Yeah, it would seem so -- until you look at the figures and realize that some .357 loads can come pretty darn close to it when fired from a rifle barrel. Buffalo Bore makes a 158 gr. load that will do close to 2200 fps in an 18 inch barrel, and there are handloads that will do close to that with a 180. With the heavier bullets, these loads run right with some .35 Remington factory loads. .357 is no slouch in a levergun.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
pisgah said:
Bob G said:

Yeah, it would seem so -- until you look at the figures and realize that some .357 loads can come pretty darn close to it when fired from a rifle barrel. Buffalo Bore makes a 158 gr. load that will do close to 2200 fps in an 18 inch barrel, and there are handloads that will do close to that with a 180. With the heavier bullets, these loads run right with some .35 Remington factory loads. .357 is no slouch in a levergun.

Yeah, Buffalo Bore also has a 190 gr 30-30 load that's quite a power house too. I get your point, but somehow I don't get the impression that Writwing will be working up hot loads for his Henry lever gun. As for the Henry rifle, I don't know much about them. I do like that they are made in the USA. I guess if you like the brass look, that's the way to go; in which case, I would go with the Big Boy 44 mag, Hands down.

pisgah

Buckeye
Bob G said:
pisgah said:
Bob G said:
I get your point, but somehow I don't get the impression that Writwing will be working up hot loads for his Henry lever gun. As for the Henry rifle, I don't know much about them. I do like that they are made in the USA. I guess if you like the brass look, that's the way to go; in which case, I would go with the Big Boy 44 mag, Hands down.

Personally, to me looks are all the Henry has going for it -- if you like the looks. Not much experience of them, but the ones I have examined are overly complicated, too heavy, and quite difficult to clean thoroughly as compared to most competitors. For a casual shooter or hunter using mostly factory ammo, they seem to give good service, but I far prefer my 336s and my 92.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
Personally, to me looks are all the Henry has going for it -- if you like the looks. Not much experience of them, but the ones I have examined are overly complicated, too heavy, and quite difficult to clean thoroughly as compared to most competitors. For a casual shooter or hunter using mostly factory ammo, they seem to give good service, but I far prefer my 336s and my 92.
They are definitely showy. I have 2 Win 94's, 2 Marlin 336's, and 1 Marlin 95. I prefer Marlins for the big bore rifle stuff, and the Win 94's for the pistol cartridges. I like the "control" feed of the Winchesters, you can cycle the thing upside down if need be. The Rossi 92's are excelent; I only wish they were US made. Although I must admit, when it comes to firearms, I have a soft spot in my heart for any company that builds the stuff I love.

Del J

Single-Sixer
Like the members posted above, I also several lever guns in different calibers. I do not have .44 mag.. But I think it would a excellent choice for what you want to use it for. As far as the Henry rifle, I have couple Golden Boys in .22 and .22 mag. the fit and finish is great. They function very well. But I have seen the Bigboy in CAS with jam and feed problems. The ones I have shot are heavy but nice rifles. Weight and handling would be factor for quick shooting self defense rifle of me. The 92's winchester and Marlin 1894 are compact and handy to carry. The Marlin is easy to disassemble for cleaning and maintence. There is alot of good info in this thread for you to make a choice. Good luck.

Del J

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I really like my Marlin 1894 (made in 1990) chambered in 32-20. "best" is subjective. I like the 32-20. Not much for deer but will bring down any small game and with the right load, will bring down a deer when needed. Itis a hand loading proposition though.

Given your choices, and reason for ownership, my choice would be:
If you're a handloader:
45 colt
44 mag

If you're shooting factory ammo only
357/38
44 mag
45 colt.

Jeff

My favorite lever gun has been the Marlin 375 in .375 Winchester. I like the 44 Mag in the Browning B92 also, oh.... and I like the 45LC in the Marlin Cowboy Limited..... Can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned. All personal preference. JMHO

Dave