Best 22Lr ammo for self defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ladobe said:
That is plain and simple asking what 22LR ammo only, not whether are not you agree with the choice to use it for self defense, or the reasons why.
Listen up, if anyone reading this comes across an opinion they have no use for, they are free to disregard it as they see fit. It is worth at least what was paid, which is nothing. Arguing about which opinions are valid and which are not is the definition of stupidity. How I choose to respond to a question is really none of your damn business.

If the question is, "what is the best icepick to use for self defense?". While "I got mine from Walmart and like it very much" may be a direct answer to the question, is it really the proper solution? Probably not and I cannot in good conscience give an answer to that question when the proper response is to acquire something else entirely. Hence the comment, "sometimes you have to be smart enough to ask the right question".

There are no dumb questions but there sure can be a hell of a lot of dumb answers. :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
I am sure that the opener of this thread got his answer......at least as well as an answer can be obtained from a group of non-expert witnesses....
Actually you got expert witness testimony in the very first response to this thread and the response to that was:
JimInMichigan said:
Not an informed answer....

Which tells me a lot and it ain't good. :roll:

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Ladobe said:
That is plain and simple asking what 22LR ammo only, not whether are not you agree with the choice to use it for self defense, or the reasons why.
Listen up, if anyone reading this comes across an opinion they have no use for, they are free to disregard it as they see fit. It is worth at least what was paid, which is nothing. Arguing about which opinions are valid and which are not is the definition of stupidity. How I choose to respond to a question is really none of your damn business.

If the question is, "what is the best icepick to use for self defense?". While "I got mine from Walmart and like it very much" may be a direct answer to the question, is it really the proper solution? Probably not and I cannot in good conscience give an answer to that question when the proper response is to acquire something else entirely. Hence the comment, "sometimes you have to be smart enough to ask the right question".

There are no dumb questions but there sure can be a hell of a lot of dumb answers. :roll:

There are no dumb questions, but there sure can be a lot of people who can't stick to the question asked and just have to get their agenda in, an agenda that wasn't asked for. :roll: :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Agenda? You really think I commented about how dismal the .22LR is for self defense because I have an agenda? Exactly what agenda would that be?

Which is the bigger distraction, opinions you don't agree with or arguing about opinions you don't agree with???

If you don't like what I and several others have to say, ignore it. Real simple but I guess not quite simple enough. :roll:

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
If the OP had asked if you think the 22lr is the best or even an adequate self defense round or in your opinion what are better choices then some would be relevant answers, but he didn't. As far as distractions, any answer that has NOTHING TO DO with the question like" get something bigger or I'd rather have a rock and sharp stick" are distractions. Maybe it's all he has and a full magazine os Stingers or Velocitors is Much Much better than a stick or rock.

5of7

Hunter
CraigC said:

Well.... :D There you go again.... 8)

xcrdr

Bearcat
I keep my 9mm at the ready but if need be I'll grab my SR22 with Stingers. I'll do my best to empty the magazine to vitals before I begin the fight. Given the choice to start the fight on an even playing field or start with him full of little holes I'll take the holes every time. Who knows, enough shots to the face and you might hit an eyeball. Word on the street, 40 grains to the eyebal slows you down.

So to the OP, thanks for the question. Seems most helpful posters think that Stingers are the way to go, but only if you can't reach your Desert Eagle.

CraigC

Hawkeye
While I do not think it is a good idea at all to depend on the .22LR for this role, I have to agree with the assessment that the low sectional density lightweight loads like the Stinger and Yellow Jacket are about the worst choice. Anyone who has ever used them on small game (some of us learn these lessons shooting critters :roll:) knows that they expand very rapidly. I don't condone using the cartridge but if you must, Velocitors would be a better choice.

Unk

Bearcat
That would be a 500 round ValuPak in a tube sock..or cut-off panty hose.

I shoot CCI 40 gr Velocitors, among other loads, in my SR22 however do not carry. Have to 'fess up did carry a TP 22 as backup to primary for a VERY short period..moved to High Standard .22 mag derringer then .380 AMT Back Up and finished with this Mod 60 [ I had hammer bobbed].
MOD60004.jpg

.22 better than a pointy stick or nothing but not a first choice.

Best.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Unk said:
That would be a 500 round ValuPak in a tube sock..or cut-off panty hose.
I shoot CCI 40 gr Velocitors, among other loads, in my SR22 however do not carry. Have to 'fess up did carry a TP 22 as backup to primary for a VERY short period..moved to High Standard .22 mag derringer then .380 AMT Back Up and finished with this Mod 60

My limited experience with the HS .22 Mag derringer was not positive and reviews back in the day by Gun Tests Magazine were disturbing to say the least. No question about the Model 60 and reliability. Did the TP 22 bite your web?

I would consider the Model 650 in .22 Magnum acceptable for defense, as recommended by a gentleman named Bill Jordan. :mrgreen:

Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.

Effin_Gago

Bearcat
Haha, I always laugh at all the chest thumping on these kinds of debates.
IF IT DOESNT START WITH A "4", ITS NO GOOD!
My wife has shot my 9mm XD and my 1911 (45 acp). She doesnt like either of them, probably because her hands are kind of small. Shes about 100 lbs. With more practice she can get used to it.
For now, she likes her Ruger SR22 pistol ALOT, and can crack off 10 rounds pretty fast and accurately.

Im sure dumping a bunch of little minimags into an intruder would have a better outcome than trying to defend herself with a effing pickaxe, wether its a lil punk burglar or the obligatory (always comes up in these arguments) "unstoppable pumped up on meth" attacker.

Just the plain threat of a gun (any gun), especially if a round is fired, will likely end MANY confrontations.
Forced to shoot? A few holes in anyone will make them rethink their next actions, if they havent dropped dead already. Except maybe the meth head, who will charge forward and eat your brain, all the while you will be wishing you had that pickaxe instead.... /end_sarcasm
My wife will probably "graduate" to a compact 9mm that shes comfortable with some day, but for now the 22 will have to do.

As for the original question, I will echo what others have said, get the most reliable ammo, which for me is CCI. Minimags have never failed.
Practice with bulk, load it with Minimags otherwise. The CCI AR-Tacticool ammo is pretty much the same thing. And you can get them in those neat plastic boxes. FTW.

5of7

Hunter
Another thing about .22 autos is that in the event of a jam or a FTF, it is easier for a small woman to pull the slide back to clear the problem than it is on most bigger bore autos.

My wife cannot pull the slide back on anything bigger than a .22.

Of course, being 76 years old might have a lot to do with that.... 8)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Effin_Gago said:
Haha, I always laugh at all the chest thumping on these kinds of debates.
I don't see any chest thumping but I reckon that's a convenient way to dismiss anyone who disagrees with you. :roll:

1shooter

Bearcat
OK, this is sort of on topic, I think. I have some CCI 22LR, #12 shot, 31 grain, 1000fps pest control ammo (the only thing on the shelf at Wally World). I remember the old style crimp-top snakeshot stuff should not be used in a rifled barrel, but I don't know anything about this ammo (except that a shot to the face is gonna change a bad guys attitude a bunch). I do have an old revolver I could test this stuff with, if I can't put it through a semi. The shot is contained in a blue plastic shell. So, what say all?

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
CCI shot rounds are rifled revolver safe! There can be a "Doughnut" effect caused by the shot cap being spun and disrupted by the rifling.
Shot some snake targets and if you do engage Mr. No Shoulders, FIRE FOR EFFECT! I note the .22 WMR version performed better in a 3.5" barrel than it did out of my Super Single Six with 6".
Geoff
Who occasionally regrets trading a Colt SA .22LR and a Super Single Six straight up for a T-514 Stainless BB MKII.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
If you must, or need the form factor: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=2&loadNo=0047

Assuming you can find ANY .22LR in stock anywhere.
Geoff
Who got there when the cupboards were bare and so the poor geek got none...sigh.

firebirdude

Bearcat
You'd have to be crazy to trust your life to rimfire ammo, let alone a tiny 22LR.

And if we're trying to keep this on topic, I'd agree that the difference in stopping power is so puny that it really makes no difference what ammo you use. Use whatever has been shooting dependably in your firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts