Best 22lr barrel length ????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other day at the range, some guy had a really nice CZ 22lr rifle. I'm not sure which one, it was the newer 457 model, but they have several versions.

It was nice, with the European style dropped comb butt stock.

But I went to the CZ website and they have one 457 model called the " Jaguar."

This one has a 28.6 inch barrel. Isn't that just a bit too long? I'm wondering about a drop in bullet velocity or speed.

As nice as those CZ rifles look, I've blown my gun budget for the rest of the year. But does anyone have one of the 457's? Any positive reviews?

I've looked on YouTube and even went over to rimfirecentral. They should rename that advertising central.

But I am most curious about the optimum barrel length for 22lr.

I have 4 CZ rimfire rifles, my 455 tactical has a 16.5" Bull barrel, a 457 MTR varmint with a 20" barrel, a 457 trainer with the 24.5 barrel and a 457 Jaguar with the 28.5 barrel. All 4 are very accurate, the first 3 are scoped, the Jaguar is iron sighted with tangent sights that are perfectly calibrated sights. At my local range we have 3",6" and 8" steel plated at 50, 100, 150, 175 and 200 yards, with the Jaguar and Norma Tac std velocity ammo I can ring the plates all the way out to 200. At 50 and 100 I can regularly hit all three sized plates beyond that the front is larger than the targets sap I usually shoot at the larger plates. I love them all but really enjoy the Jaguar.

hittman

Staff member
No CZs here but the most accurate 22 rifles I've had are the Weatherby MK XXII with 24 inch barrel and a Remington Nylon 11 bolt action also with 24 inch tube.

JB in SC

Bearcat
All the target rifles of the past had longer barrels. Velocity is not an issue, but being able to correctly judge the wind is. In the 30's and 40's 300 yards was not an unusual distance for rimfire matches. Read some of C.S. Landis writings on the .22 LR.

Thanks all! This is interesting. I have two 10/22's one with a 16 inch barrel and the other with a 20 inch.

Oh, and I guess I also have another 22 with a 24 inch barrel, but it doesn't get shot very often.

I started thinking about this the other day because I got some of the CCI target ammo. I didn't read the entire label though.

It's only a 29 grain bullet. I think the label said 1200 something feet per second.

If you want a great deal of rimfire information you go to Rimfire Central. I have numerous target rifles by Anshutz,CZ, Renmington Ruger and Winchester with barrels from 16.5" to 30"s and in 18",20",24",28.5" and the 30" do not find barrel length to make more or lees accuracy.

Dan in MI

Staff member
All the target rifles of the past had longer barrels. Velocity is not an issue, but being able to correctly judge the wind is. In the 30's and 40's 300 yards was not an unusual distance for rimfire matches. Read some of C.S. Landis writings on the .22 LR.
Was that due to iron sights and longer sight radius more than anything else?

My pre-WW2 Mauser target rifle has a 23.5-24" barrel. Weight 'out front' steadies the hold. Improved accuracy?? I've had 16" barrels that were more accurate than 99% of shooters.

Improved accuracy?? I've had 16" barrels that were more accurate than 99% of shooters.
Yes, and good point. I know there are many factors to accuracy. Trigger, the nut behind the trigger, sight radius, bullets, etc. everything involved in the act of shooting will affect accuracy.

It's interesting to me to take one part at a time and focus on it to see if I can improve my shooting if just a little bit.

JB in SC

Bearcat
Was that due to iron sights and longer sight radius more than anything else?

Probably, but later in the 30's Lyman, Unertl, and others were making higher powered scopes, very long (20" or more). The length required mounting on the barrel with target blocks. In the early 70's I used a Lyman Super Targetspot in 15X on my Anschutz 64 match rifle.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Agree gunzo. Like the 18 inch barrel myself but talking 22 magnum here. Heard 22 mag reaches top velocity in 18-19 inches of barrel if this is correct. My R/A compact is handy and standard stock module adds to better LOP for me.

mirglip

Single-Sixer
I have a CZ457 Varmint with a 20" barrei and a CZ457 American with a 24" barrel. The Varmint with it's heavy 20" barrel is the most accurate overall, but the 24" American is less negatively affected by high velocity ammo, so it goes hunting more often..

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have a Marlin M60 with the longer barrel. It or my Peanut 39A have about what I think is right for a "long" 22LR barrel.

60a-zpswho1gsc3-jpg-original.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
I have a couple of target 22's with open sights and long barrels. My target 22's with scopes have short barrels. Long barrels don't necessarily increase accuracy but they do increase the sight radius. Short barrels have less barrel to add interference