Bearcat w/ adjustable sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fansnotes

Bearcat
I often tell students "there's no such thing as a 'dumb question'," but this one (from me) could well disprove that:

My notion of a most desirable Bearcat is in stainless steel, including the newest model's adjustable rear sight (plus 4.2" barrel length and a stainless ejector-rod housing). But I disfavor the front sight included with that package.

I'd prefer a simple stainless blade, pinned to the barrel. This doesn't seem like it would be a difficult modification . . . unless the adjustable rear sight would necessitate an ungainly-tall front blade. Does anyone know?

Alternatively, if I started with a fixed-sight model (0913), would it be possible to mount an adjustable rear sight without breaking the bank?

(This isn't an altogether theoretical query; I'm contemplating a new Bearcat purchase!)

Cholo

Staff member
My understanding is that the 1st adj. sighted Bearcats Ruger made had front sights that were too short. They had to use the skyscraper. IOW: Your pinned sight would have to be as tall if using the factory rear sight.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
Before my son's untimely death, he bought his youngest boy a Bearcat with S&W sights on it in Ma but, it's pretty rough. My grandson keeps it in my safe.
Steve

Hondo44

Hawkeye
At $550 from Clements, I'd say that breaks the bank. I would suggest that you get the fixed sight stainless BC.

Try different brands of ammo to see which it shoots best and stick with it. Adj sights usually only get adjusted once unless the gun shoots more than one cartridge.

If the windage is off, file one side or the other of the fixed sight notch to adjust and you're done.

schloss

Single-Sixer
steve8261948 said:
In today's world, who can feed .22LRs the same thing all the time?
Stever

In today's world, who can feed 22lr's at all? I haven't shot one in almost 3 years. All my ammo is saved for my 4 and 6 year old boys. If I shot it, they'd have been out 2-3/4 years ago.

eveled

Hunter
The beauty of a .22 revolver, is being able to shoot any and all ammo available. If it doesn't work in the semi autos, if gets fed to the revolvers.

I must not be as accurate a shooter as the rest of you all, I don't notice a different point of aim between brands. All my revolvers shoot were I aim them, no matter what is being used. I don't notice a difference in ammo brand, other than more flyers with the really cheap stuff. My single sixes get shot way more than the little Bearcat. Unless you need it to be smaller, I'd go with the single six with the adjustable sights. Or the single ten.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
My stainless BC drove me nuts until I modified both the front and rear fixed sights. It shot way to the right and way high. I filed out the rear notch a bunch, and finally built up one side of the front sight and increased its height with JB Weld (I know). Now it shoots POA/POI and the .12" thick front sight is MUCH easier to sight with.

It went from useless to valued in my eyes. Unless you want to do these mods (possibly) I'd surely get the adj sights.

DPris

Buckeye
Eveled,
I find quite a variation in ammunition brands in all of my .22s.
Some, minor; others an inch or two.
Denis