Votes: 25 19.2%
  • A: 2.5" Alaskan .44 mag

Votes: 105 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MaxP

Buckeye
tinman said:
With an emphasis on performance in the field, my choice also has to do with being able to find ammunition when I am away from home turf. I plan on take up reloading (again) which will allow me to have even more choices for the .45LC element. All those "new" super big bore rounds are sorta cool to watch on YouTube. But, like the 10mm, 357sig and 38 Super I don't think I'm gonna be finding them in that little hardware store in northern Missouri like I can the 45, 44, 308 and 270 when I am on a hunting trip and find myself needing (or just wanting) extra ammo.
As a side note, some years back I did find a few boxes of 30-40 Krag which is always a treat for me.
On Saturday I took possession of a new Redhawk that is chambered for 45LC and .45ACP.
A Blackhawk .357/38/9mm is probably in my future should I trip over (another) one at a decent price.
And because I am trying to plan ahead......I am fast becoming a big fan of multi caliber capable guns. :D

However, .45 Colt isn't always that easy to find and usually it will be of the cowboy action, milquetoast persuasion and not high-performance loadings like those offered by Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Grizzly, Garrett, Underwood, etc. In this situation, as far as availability of ammo is concerned, the .44 Mag has a distinct leg up IMHO. While I prefer the .45 Colt to many other revolver rounds, good ammo is not that readily available -- unfortunately.

tinman

Buckeye
MaxP said:
However, .45 Colt isn't always that easy to find and usually it will be of the cowboy action, milquetoast persuasion and not high-performance loadings like those offered by Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Grizzly, Garrett, Underwood, etc. In this situation, as far as availability of ammo is concerned, the .44 Mag has a distinct leg up IMHO. While I prefer the .45 Colt to many other revolver rounds, good ammo is not that readily available -- unfortunately.

When I started this little venture I weighed both.....but, since I'm partial to the .45 flavor, I went with the LC. Had I chosen the .44 mag I would have the same issue of not being able to find the .44 special to use in that one. It was gonna be an issue no matter which way I went. :mrgreen:

George

Blackhawk
I thought about installing a heaver recoil spring and buffer only when running some really hot loads in my .45acp But decided on .44mag for a woods gun. But I do think 8 or 9 rounds of .45 would bring down a black bear even a big one At close range . But it was still a good excuse to get the .44mag..George

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Buck, The trail ain't snowed over. The trail is being half-butt covered over in attempt to skew the truth. I think some of these hombres are taking too many pain meds.

I'll Still take the 44 Special over the 2.5" Mag. I likes my 44 Mags, but I'd take that Special Flattop with a Montado hammer over a DA 2.5" any day of the week. Not because it will do any better, but because it won't do any worse. For me it is also faster and easier to handle.

I expect with this post to see everyone resurrected, except the pard that should be following his daddy's advice :D

Bucks Owin said:
whichwatch said:
Bucks Owin said:
You live in big bear country and you have the choice of TWO SPECIFIC REVOLVERS. A 2.5" Alaskan in .44 mag or a 5.5" Flattop in .44 Special.

Which one and why?

PS: You are a handloader.

This poll veers further off topic with every post. It started with which revolver in bear country, now we are seeing pictures of caribou.

Yep, my original intent was to see how many would realize that 2.5" of .44 mag barrel cripples that round substantially and that a handloader could do about as well with a "Keith" loaded .44 Spl in a 5.5" Flattop and have a little better sight radius as well...

But you're right, the original trail is long lost and snowed over... :(

PS: Some of you who need two hands to operate a SA sixgun need to spend a little more time with one in hand IMHO! Amazing...:shock:

Let us close the curtain 21 pages later... :wink:

tinman

Buckeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Buck, The trail ain't snowed over. The trail is being half-butt covered over in attempt to skew the truth. I think some of these hombres are taking too many pain meds.
Yep, my original intent was to see how many would realize that 2.5" of .44 mag barrel cripples that round substantially and that a handloader could do about as well with a "Keith" loaded .44 Spl in a 5.5" Flattop and have a little better sight radius as well...

PS: Some of you who need two hands to operate a SA sixgun need to spend a little more time with one in hand IMHO! Amazing...:shock:

Always interesting when someone starts a thread with some kind of hidden "test" and then gets miffed when it don't go as they planned....... IMHO! Amazing.....:shock:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Who's miffed? I'm personally amused, but can't speak for the OP. I've also stuck fairly strictly to the topic parameters. It would be an aweful boring internet if there weren't a difference of opinions and everything was serious. :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:

I'll Still take the 44 Special over the 2.5" Mag. I likes my 44 Mags, but I'd take that Special Flattop with a Montado hammer over a DA 2.5" any day of the week. Not because it will do any better, but because it won't do any worse. For me it is also faster and easier to handle.
Attempt to skew the truth???

I have no problem with your choice and if the topic were anything but protection against "great bears", I would agree. However, many of us are still waiting for you to explain how a 250gr at 1200fps does the same thing as a 340gr at 1200fps.

MaxP

Buckeye
CraigC said:
However, many of us are still waiting for you to explain how a 250gr at 1200fps does the same thing as a 340gr at 1200fps.

They're not even close.....different animal, different zip code, different continent.....

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
If you pushed that LBT through with a stick, the hole would look about the same as it would at 1200fps.

Regardless, the bullet type wasn't part of the equation.

I still pick the Flattop.

George

Blackhawk
But bullet weight and speed fps is all part of the equation!!! If I was going to take a .45 spec. I could also take a hot .45ACP 255gr round, would work just as well as .45 spec.. But I would want to break bone. I like the power behing a hot .45 LC or .44mag ya 340gr at 1200+fps Big big difference. George

CraigC

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
If you pushed that LBT through with a stick, the hole would look about the same as it would at 1200fps.
This is patently false and proof that you don't know what you're talking about. LBT's produce impressive wound channels, in addition to their deep penetration.

LuckenbachTexas said:
Regardless, the bullet type wasn't part of the equation.
Total BS! It is everything. The performance capabilities of the two cartridges, in the two platforms provided, is the whole point of the thread. You twisting the topic to fit your answer again???

Bucks Owin

Hunter
So who has a 2.5" .44 Alaskan, a chrono, and some 340 gr roman candles? I wanna see a picture of the velocity readout... :shock:

When a 240 gr bullet nominally achieves around 1,000 fps in that 44 mag snubnose barrel, how does another 100 grs of bullet weight gain you another 200 fps?!? :roll:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

BTW, we already agree 44 Spl 250gr Keith load in 5.5" barrel can go 1,200 fps right?

MaxP

Buckeye
Bucks Owin said:
So who has a 2.5" .44 Alaskan, a chrono, and some 340 gr roman candles? I wanna see a picture of the velocity readout... :shock:

When a 240 gr bullet nominally achieves around 1,000 fps in that 44 mag snubnose barrel, how does another 100 grs of bullet weight gain you another 200 fps?!? :roll:

How? It's rather simple. That Buffalo Bore load is loaded to a fairly high pressure. I wouldn't doubt for a moment that you will see 1,200 fps from that load out of an Alaskan, having shot them from longer barreled revolvers. That load is a beast.

CraigC

Hawkeye
IMHO, the numbers for the Buffalo Bore load are not in question. It's rated at well over 1400fps from a 5.5" Redhawk and has been chronographed at 1200fps out of an Alaskan. What a 240gr factory load does is irrelevant. We 'should' know that these cartridges are much more efficient with heavier bullets. Standard pressure handloads push 355's at the same velocity the factories push 240's.

We 'should' also know that velocity is overrated in handguns, especially with cast bullets. So it doesn't really matter if it's 1200fps or 1000fps. The 100gr heavier bullet of superior design wins no matter how you slice it.

63November

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
We 'should' also know that velocity is overrated in handguns, especially with cast bullets. So it doesn't really matter if it's 1200fps or 1000fps. The 100gr heavier bullet of superior design wins no matter how you slice it.

That was exactly the point I was trying to demonstrate by using the 150+ yard lengthwise caribou, full penetration as a demonstration of, a point you and a few others got, but flew over a few of the theorizing "experts".

Momementum matters, and mass increases that momentum at the same speeds (and actually even less).

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Craig, you don't know what you are talking about. These pitiful velocities and type bullets do a job, but they just ain't that impressive. The wound channels at these velocities aren't much different from similar bullets, same caliber, different weights.
I've found my 44 Flattop to shoot 255's about the same velocity (hangrenades & horseshoes) as a 300+ out of that 2.5. The wounds didn't look a hill of beans difference unless I used them in a rifle.

I said bullets weren't part of the OP "poll" equation.

Entertainment abounds :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
LuckenbachTexas said:
Craig, you don't know what you are talking about. These pitiful velocities and type bullets do a job, but they just ain't that impressive. The wound channels at these velocities aren't much different from similar bullets, same caliber, different weights. I've found my 44 Flattop to shoot 255's about the same velocity (hangrenades & horseshoes) as a 300+ out of that 2.5. The wounds didn't look a hill of beans difference unless I used them in a rifle.

I said bullets weren't part of the OP "poll" equation.

Entertainment abounds :D
The cartridges in question don't fire bullets???

So based on your logic, .45 hardball is just as good as any???

The wound channel grows with the size of the meplat. The wound channel deepens with heavier bullets. It ain't rocket science.

I'd ask you, once again, on what experience you base that conclusion but I know you won't answer.

Latest posts