• B: 5.5" Flattop 44 Spl

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • A: 2.5" Alaskan .44 mag

Votes: 105 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

63November

Single-Sixer
Had to get a pic of the wagon in too! :D Need something to haul the BFR in!! :D :D

Had to edit a bit to better reflect the way things are. :shock:

BPJ, it's been warm most of June. Now, however, we're seeing low 40s at night which, together with a little rain, will hopefully tame the fires. My hunting haunts are part of a 20,000 acre fire, actually 5 which grew together into 2. And that's just a a few of the hundreds they're watching up here.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I'm late to this party, but if big bear country you mean grizzly/brown, I'd say you only need one .44 special bullet for yourself. I don't even feel comfortable carrying my .44 mag redhawk when black bear hunting. It will kill them, but who knows if it will before it gets me.

Mus408

Hunter
63November said:
Had to get a pic of the wagon in too! :D Need something to haul the BFR in!! :D :D

Had to edit a bit to better reflect the way things are. :shock:

BPJ, it's been warm most of June. Now, however, we're seeing low 40s at night which, together with a little rain, will hopefully tame the fires. My hunting haunts are part of a 20,000 acre fire, actually 5 which grew together into 2. And that's just a a few of the hundreds they're watching up here.

Yeah I like that edit! I do have my SBH Hunter in .44 Mag but just something about those big ol' hunks of .45-70 lead moving along taking care of business....I hope. Just black bears around the area now and then.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
You could probably load that 44 Special to the same velocity as you're getting out of the snub nose Magnum and the Special would be more controlable. The single action isn't the best for Bear protection though. My 44 Special Flattop (4 5/8" barrel) easily does 1100 fps with a 255 grain WFN.

When I'm in Griz country I carry my 5" 629 with a 285 grain WFN. Where I Elk hunt only Black Bear are present and I carry my Flattop.

stevemb

Hunter
Sometimes our species were done to...and it still can happen. Hence the huge interest in these threads.

dad11345

Bearcat
Neither as there are better options. A 2 and 1/2 inch 44 mag is a waste of potential to begin with. Then to make the other option a 44 special shows the intent of the poster. A rigged outcome.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, my answer ain't allowed. I live a few miles north of a little old revolver factory........ one that
produces a rather robust revolver that thrives on slinging heavy lead.
The 454 Casull 5 shot takes the cake in my book.

JMHO,
Flatgate

Wagginwheel

Bearcat
I'll take the double action, I'm using a SRH Toklat in 454 Casull up to Lake Clark, Alaska this summer. I'm comfortable enough using that, but am curious about bullet weights-anyone got a recommendation for some factory loads? I've got the 325 gr. hardcast as well as some 240 gr. JHP XTP.

Wagginwheel, I'd use some good LBT hard cast bullets at least 325 grain. Buffalo Bore has a 325 and a 360 grain Hard cast that is real hard cast. There is a balance between too soft and too hard where they will break up. I trust those a lot. I prefer factory for bear loads as I know 2 guys who have killed bears with 454's, one was a Freedom Arms and one was a Ruger Alaskan and both guns tied up because the bullets in the cylinder pulled. Actually I prefer Buffalo Bores 45 Colt 325 grain bullets. No problem with them pulling, the recovery is quicker, and they penetrate very well. FWIW YMMV

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
You know one thing that comes to mind when "bear" threads come up is this. If we must have the most powerful shoulder and hand held weapons on earth to kill bears, how did our species do it before they were invented?
We got eaten a lot more often. ;)

Just like we got lost a lot more often before the GPS and did a lot less traveling before the automobile and airplane.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
People were a lot tougher back then too.

They didn't have the luxury of flying into Alaska or Jackson Hole in an airplane, then riding in an air conditioned SUV for a few hours, then try to hike to a fishing spot with 20-50 lbs of extra belly fat while complaining that their sidearm was too heavy to carry.

We've come a long way.